Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Anyone familiar with... Classic Cask

Classic Cask Bourbon, 17yr. Single Barrel Ketucky Bourbon?

Someone asked about this on one of the cigar forums I frequent, and no one had ever heard of it. Any info here in StraightBourbon-land?

TIA.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone familiar with... Classic Cask

OK Doug here's all I can tell you about Classic Cask. It's an Even Kulsveen brand. I went ahead and bumped up a thread for you to read. There is also a thread down in the rye topic board that talks about Classic Cask, I think Ralph Whilps either has or had a bottle. I've neither seen nor tasted that whiskey.

Connoisseur

Doug/Linn,

Not Kulsveen. The Classic Cask 17y was a single 'batch' sale from BT to a gentleman known for his Scotch whiskey. He wanted to have a distinctive bourbon product in his line. Can't remember his name. I think there were just 600 bottles made of the Classic 17 and it was an expensive private label, around $70. There was a 15y rye as well. I saw both bottles in Tenn.

Compare the Classic 17 to Eagle Rare 17y -- there should not be much difference in taste.

Omar

Taster

>> single 'batch' sale from BT to a gentleman known for his Scotch whiskey. <<

"BT" =

Disciple

The Buffalo Trace Distillery !!

TomC

**DONOTDELETE**

Omar it had to be bottled by Kulsveen at his Willet bottling line, since the label was reported as reading "Bottled in Bardstown, KY". I went ahead and bumped that thread also.

Novice

I have a bottle and there is no distinction as to the distillery other than "bottled in Bardstown, KY".

**DONOTDELETE**

First let us all welcome our 301st forum member Glenn Grossman. Welcome to Bourbonia Glenn!Here's how it works Glenn. Any one of us can buy whiskey by the barrel from anyone that has a berrel to sell. Here's the rub ==> As a private buyer without a DSP (Distilled Spirits Producer) license from the B.A.T.F. we have to have the spirits we purchase bottled up by someone that does have a DSP # before we can take delivery. Julian Van Winkel is the most well known independent bottler and Evan Kulsveen comes in second, but he is very elusive & reclusive, and is very nearly unkown.So now you know where it was bottled and by who, but you still don't know where the whiskey came from and who distilled it. Until someone involved in the sale of that whiskey spills the beans we will most likely never know for sure.My advice is not to buy 'mystery whiskey'. Purchase bourbon only from distillers you know and trust. I've been to Jim Beam and know master distiller Jerry Dalton. I've been to Labrot & Graham and I've spoken with master distiller Linclon Henderson. I've been to Buffalo Trace and I know the great master distiller Elmer T. Lee. I've been to Wild Turkey and know master distiller Jimmy Russell. I've driven by Heaven Hill and enjoyed meeting Parker Beam at Toddy's one afternoon. I've gotten drunk at the gazebo at the Bardstown Best Western with master bottler Julian Van Winkel III.Buy what you know. Tell the rest to blow!

Enthusiast

I believe it is a special bottling for Alan Shayne (sp?) president of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America. It has gotten pretty good reviews in a couple spirits rags.

Advanced Taster

HAD a bottle, Linn - I'm pleased to inform you that the substance was quickly neutralized by passing it through the organic filter previously described in the Rye section. Good stuff, but way overpriced compared to the equally delicious Van Winkle and Hirsch ryes.

Ralph Wilps