Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

Nice pictures, Dave. Looks like you are getting the hang of the new camera...in no time.

Thanks for working so hard on this project. It sure is fun keeping up with all the photos and commentary. The stories behind the pictures really helps put substance to the images.

Do you think there would be any good information concerning distillation proofs and mashbills in the lab?

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Post Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

Jeff I have never seen any Papers on mash bills as the the Still in Linfield was not used after spring 1951. There no papers from Phila that I have seen other then telling them stuff. I would be willing to bet that when they abandon the big stills down in Phila you would have found some stuff like that but after Overland wrecking cought the place on Fire that was it then then Dep & osha stepped in and it is no more. When things are open where there are papers I always try to find some interesting ones. I found lists of Whiskeys they wanted to sell they had there before it closed.

I will check out papers in the Lab again next time can't stay in there long as very dusty wear a mask and damp in there but lately seems better and one never knows. They may have some tests on stuff they were going to bottle.

Alot of the leftover whiskey burned up in L building when Kids set pallets of them on fire. Nothing left now but ashes. When I sip my Old Hickory I just have a hard time in believing that Continental / Publicker is gone. As I always say if Mr Si Neuman was alive today so would Kinsey Be, and I am willing to bet there would be a new Still operating there, as there was talk of that from the old timers when I worked there. Mr Neuman loved the Kinsey Plant and would come up at least once a month to drive around it. After building the New Bottle house He had High hopes for the Place that he called a jewel on the River!
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-18-2008 at 02:34.

Disciple

Back in 1974 / 1975 When Publicker decided to Make a Liberty Bell decanter for the Bicentenial in 1976 for their Philadelphia Blended Whiskey little did they know the trouble they would have! First the early Ones had a crack at the seam and leaked there and when they tried to return them the company that made them refused so they had to sue from what I have been told! Then when they got the good ones boy did they present a leak problem alot of times! They had advertised so much they had to go ahead with the project.

They even Had a back label on the 1975 Bottles telling people to look for the Libery Bell decanter at their Liqour store and it had a picture of it. I luckily Have couple of these demo bottles with the picture label.

Ludy told me they took hundreds apon hundreds of them down to the dump that had the bad seam. He gave me two of some he kept as they looked so neat. I also have some I bought one being full but everyone I had to glue a new Cork on the top as that was another problem the Cork broke all the time on them! This was another losing deal for them and 3 yrs later they quit the Whiskey Bussiness!
    Dave Z

Guru

Dave, those Singer bottling machines still look pristine...salvagable?

Disciple

Jono I would be willing to bet that some of them could be used again, when they had the auction those just were not sold and have sat since 1986. Not being in the bussiness anymore I also would not be surprised if they don't still use that type as they were very good and well made Bottling machines. Everything they ever bottled there they used those type of bottling machines in the mix. Ludy used to have one of his big jobs was setting them up and repairing things on them. Back when I went in the big bottle house back in around 1967 to do some moving with the yard gang it was quite a sight seeing 11 lines all running perfectly and at each end a fork truck hauling the finished product to the back side storage, the whole time trucks and Box cars were being loaded and the place looked like a city in there with all those people each doing their part as whiskey bottles filled continuosly. There were that year around 450 to 500 poeple in the bottling house on 2 shifts. And as Ludy told me the building is about 2 football fields in length. At the far right end where the big black tanks are were many tanks and lines for each type of Spirit. I have pictures on here of the plates that say incoming-- Bourbon, Gin ,Scotch, blended ect. I have since brought home two of those old tags. They had millions of gallons of tankage there. And no job was to big for that bottle house. It is hard to picture the day ending and everyone going home and things shut off and the next day nothing ever was turned on again but that is what happened. The old Refridges still have old lunchs in them its sireal for me when I go there. The first time I did I just stood and looked and I thought where has all the time gone and why did it have to end this way? I found myself imagaining the old 1941 ford trucks roaring back and forth with barrels to be dumped and people out back of the bottle house taking a break and the old bottle house cranking out some Peanut Liquor. But no one was there but the birds in the air and the breeze from the river and the noise of creeking doors in the old abandon warehouses. And plant Maintaince empty and no trucks or old cars anywhere except for the old 1958 Ford Continental / Distislling Dump truck that was used to haul things down to the dump and go get stuff!
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Guru

Dave...you have a poet in you:

"But no one was there but the birds in the air and the breeze from the river and the noise of creeking doors in the old abandon warehouses. And plant Maintaince empty and no trucks or old cars anywhere"

I hope you can get a Kinsey History published....maybe start a chapter outline....beginnings....early years....plant info...product info...personal stories details etc.

http://poetrypoem.com/cgi-bin/index....=t&item=poetry

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/5923

Hey Dave, how about building a model of the plant? There is a retirement hobby!

http://www.freewebs.com/photographsb.../buildings.htm
    Last edited by Jono; 11-21-2008 at 08:34.

Disciple

These pictures are of O Building the Government offices & Locker room, a 2 shots from the top of the stairs down at the office. Singer Bottling Machines and 2 Fork lifts that sit in Building L across from where the Bottles of Whiskey burnt up. Also two nice shots of The Warehouses, showing the How you would get out of the fire escape.

To get out you had to go through a door in the wall onto one of the little Balcanies and in a door in it as there were no doors in the walls to it the little porch was designed so as to prevent you getting fire following you. You would close the door and go down the sealed Stair case to escape!
    I will be posting my last pictures in a bit on the Memories thread including the Neat old Sign I found!
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

When I take a trip inside the 1966 Bottling House I always make sure to have my Emergency Cell phone and two Flashlights with new batteries! Knowing how long it is two football fields and how very little Light filters in as no windows it is something I do with caution.

It never fails I find new shots or better shots in there in it is such a very big building as you could see by the shot I took of its side the side is bigger then the warehouses.

Starting at the far end where the Big Black incoming tanks outside are is where the Whiskey bottling started, with many tanks and filters and all the incoming lines. Next at the dividing wall where I took pictures where it stated Line A-1 and so on is where cases started their way to the bottling machines, then in the giant middle section there was and I am going to get a picture of it next time a area where the Girls would pack the filled bottles into the cases and then they would travel through another wall at the still area side of the building where there was a giant area to warehouse the filled bottles and to ship them out the front of the building. At the end men would put the cases on pallets and fork trucks like the orange one in my pictures would take them to the warehouse area.

Also Remembering there were 11 lines A-1 through K-11 running this way to the end each one with differant products Blended's Straight's, Scotch's Gin's Vodka's and all going down through the last wall to the Fork truck area from the beginning area to end area where many Fork trucks took them to their respective storeage area. That is How Big the Building was!

Everytime I go in I am amazed at its size everything done in one continueous one floor Building. I would never go in with out at least 2 flashlights and my Phone as in the dark if you did not know your way you could get lost.

When the 1966 Bottling house opened many People other companies came to look at it and many of those companies used us to bottle there Products with our Whiskeys and using are bottle house when they could not keep up with their orders it was a thing of great pride to know that Companies even used our Whiskeys for their products because they knew the Quality of our aging Whiskeys!

Jacquins Of Philadelphia many times called on us to bottle some of their Liquors during the Holiday season in the Old Kinsey Bottle house because they could not meet production. I remember well talking to a guy who said to me I would never drink your Liquors I only drink Jacquins and then he said what the brand and type of Liquor was and I said everytime you drink some you are drinking our Whiskeys and our ingrediants and that lot was bottled right here at the old Kinsey Bottle House!

When you think about how many people worked a shift in the building you relize its size an average of 230 to 250 people on each of two shifts that was big back then!
    I will always be proud to have worked for Publicker Industires / Continental Distilling Division at Kinsey and many times wish I could go back to the Future there just one time. It was my All time favorite Place to work and I take great pride in writting about it and Publicker and the wonderful Way Mr Si Neuman ran the place and How much He loved this Distillery on the River in Linfield pa.
    I Will Always Love My Memories Of Kinsey Distilling
    Dave Z
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    Philadelphia Blended Whiskey The Heritage Whiskey
    Inver House Soft As A Kiss
    Inver's in London, New York Everywhere
    ============================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 11-26-2008 at 06:37.

Disciple

The other night when I spoke to the person that was a very important person in the running of all of Publicker Ind He told me that the 1966 Linfield Bottling House had so much capacity that we could do all our Products and at the same time do all the bottling that Seagrams needed. That is how well it was set up and how big it was back then. As Time goes by I want to learn all I can from Him and pass it on.

With all the information He has the whole story of Continental Distilling & Mr Neuman can be known and if I can help and do a book with him it will be a dream come true for me as I want the world to know what a great Company Publicker was and all its History and what an Amazing Person Mr Neuman was. And The Wonderful Whiskeys we Made and of Course My Favorite Old Hickory.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------
    It Seemss All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    -------------------------------------------------

Disciple

I was asked by Jeff, Why I had called the 1966 Bottling house Building U on my memories thread. The Reason is when it was built after talking to many People and first off on my old Blue prints it was called Building U just as The Government Building was building O the Alpabet which is what they did with every warehouse but the very last one back which was Building #38 and Ludy right now does not remember the special reason I will keep trying to find out.

Any way back before 1965 it was listed on the Blue print as a General Purpose Explosion Proof Building U and I have found out never had any racks so I have been told. Barrels in there were stacked it had the large docks then for filled barrels to come in by box car and truck and be moved from there to the other warehouse buildings for aging. Also it would serve as a place to ship out Barrels of Whiskey to go to Phila to be dumped and bottled at Biggler Street bottle house then. also tankers could have been filled out of Warehouse U and shipped to Phila to unload and bottle.

They decided that they did not want to mess around upgrading Biggler as alot less room down there and since 99% of the Barreled Aging Whiskey that they owned were in warehouses in Linfield that dumping them there and Bottling them there made more sense. This way they would only have to ship up Whiskey to age and when they did could haul finished stuff for over seas down there on the return Trip. So What originally was Warehouse U became the Worlds largest one floor Bottling house with 11 Lines and warehouse storeage of full cases and shipping in just one Building!

And it was so big that even the Clock could stay there covered the whole time the Bottling house did whiskey! It is Two Foot Ball fields Long!

I would not be surprised if this was the Idea even back in the 1940's when they built them but just took a bit to do it with the War and all! Both of the Two Blue prints I have of the Plant which were made before 1965 one being dated 1961 call it Building U all purpose Explosion proof. And this is the only Building this big that was built there I would think with that to happen some day in the Future in Mr Neumans Mind which did happen in 1965/66. Biggler was a very Old Bottling House with nothing near the capacity of Linfield.

Also I meant to speak about the Singer Bottle Machines from what I was told by my Friend who was very high in the Company Mr Neuman bought them all used in perfect condition rather then spend lots of extra money and since he had people Like Ludy who could littery make them Sing! He said Last night that they were very Dependable Machines and being out of the Industry now He does not know for sure but thinks they still use machines like that.
    When the Place closed most were auctioned off but some the ones I took pictures of never got bought!

So That is the Story of Building U The All purpose Explosion Proof Warehouse and what it became the worlds Largest One floor Bottling house at that time and a Power House for Bottling Whiskey!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------
    It Seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 12-15-2008 at 10:01.