Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

I just wanted to say that I am so glad I got as many shots as I did inside the 1966 Bottle House and the Old Kinsey bottle house as the vandels have now stolen piping from both,Plus stainless Pump heads even small stainless tanks. In both buildings destroying them.

Just before the Holidays a guy called the Realter that for years has offered the Kinsey plant on the market to meet him as He wanted to know the price being asked. They met him there and told him and then all during the Holidays He pretented He was going to buy the place telling neighbors that, while he went in there late at night with battery powered flood lights and stole many things including the Priceless old Hand blender Ludy used in the Old Bottle house and sold the stuff for scrap. I was very suspious as soon as I heard about him walking around all the time and taking stuff, as when you buy a place you Do Not go in there and take things first. So I got someone to call the Realter and ask if he was truely buying the Plant and they said after meeting him there they never heard from him again. Well I was mad as Heck so I told the people that watch the place to watch for him and get the Cops.

Yes the Cops got him but he only had wrenches on him and no stuff sadly so they could only arest him for atempting to steal, still since then things are ok again and the buildings are locked tight. Someone Like this is the worse Kind of Criminal stealing historic stuff just to make money never careing about History or what is right. I can only hope His day will truely come when what goes around comes around.

If there is one thing I can't stand is someone stealing historic stuff to just take it to the scrap dump.

And the fact that he pulled this stunt of pretending he was buying the Place tricking People while stealing like nuts shows that con men are still alive and well! I have lived long enough to smell out a crook like this but He and whoever helped him just plain destroyed anything they touched. I am so glad that I saved as much historic stuff as I have.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 01-12-2011 at 09:13.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

Off topic alert - a lot of metals are approaching all time highs; copper among them. We have one cul-de-sac that goes all out on Christmas decorations. 2 days before Christmas, thieves came through and stole the heavy duty extensions cords. Nothing is sacred when it comes to these scumbags. One of these dyas, instead getting away with stealing copper or other scrap metal, they are going to get some lead.

Disciple

In 1966 We had a major Snow storm in Jan much worse then the ones we have had last week and the week before and I can remember well in the fall of that year having started there driving through the Plant shoveling snow in the Old 1946 Ford Pickup the Yard gang used with heavy chains on the back tires. It was no easy task shoveling all the 14 Explosion proof warehouses out and their walkways and all the walk ways to the 3 company Houses.

Plus shoveling down at the coal pile and boiler house and the Old warehouses out front and the old DSP-PA-12 still. With 199 acre's it was a very big task. As soon as we could travel through the road in the plant we went to all the warehouses where dumping and racking were to be, to get the docks shoveled and the driveways. As the dump gangs had to wait for us to clean the docks and building drive ways.
    While we shoveled many of the men in the gangs sat and drank Whiskey!

One thing the warehouse guys did good was hide bottles in every Building they worked in so they could get a shooter as they called it when they wanted it. Many a time I would watch an old timer pace off so many steps and go into a rack and come out with a pint of Straight Whiskey. They hid their whisky in racks, under air circulars behind cabinets you name it they hid it.

I'll tell you what when one of those old timers could not find his Flask he paniced. These guy were Hard working Whiskey Drinking Men who loved their Jobs and loved siping good straight Whiskey.

We were well protected when shoveling as the Company gave US Sub Zero Army Jackets, and coveralls so we were not cold. Looking at the Plant in ruin I wonder how we ever got the place clean of snows those days but we had a job and we did it with Pride in the Company we worked for.

As I have said several times writing here That Sept of 1967 I was 20 years old when I got my very first Paid weeks vacation and I remember driving down to the Old Atlantic City NJ in my 1963 chevy as we went over the Walt Whitman Bridge and seeing the Old Hickory sign below in the Publicker Plant saying to My Mother I am so Proud that I work for Publicker and have a paid Vacation and a great Job!

The Snow would blow into giant Piles when the River winds blew it between the 14 Explosion Proof warehouses. The Buildings were only 20 years old the year I turned 20 being completed in 1947 except for the Warehouse U which was built in 1951 and later became the 1966 Bottle House. The Warehouses looked very Beautiful back then so well made that when I walked around Kinsey in late 2004 it was sureal for me to see it rotting and being Vandalised. The first time I stood and Listened even though I knew no Old 1941 Ford Flat trucks would ever roar through there ever again. They are gone and so is Kinsey but as long as I can write the spirit of Kinsey / Continental Distilling and Publicker will live on! "If you have time check out my new Pictures on my other two Threads"
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 02-07-2011 at 09:41.

Guru

Dave, was it all shovel work? Any tractors with blades?

Snow throwers/blowers were not as prevalent then.

Disciple

Jono there was plenty of Shovel work with the Snow but we had an old tractor with a big blade to push the snow also to clear the roads. It was a big place but we had to get it all clear by days end so as to not have any operation held up! But clearing the Warehouse docks was always done right away by hand and we started by doing the ones where dumping or racking was going to be done that day.

We had to keep going at a good pace but somehow it does not seem hard in my mind today as I was young then and never afraid to work hard.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==

Disciple

Sadly now the big 1966 bottle house sits and rots but in its day it was the most modern bottling house on the planet! We also had some of the best ways to keep people from repetative problems working the lines.

Every person worked a different line every week which also helped them to have knowledge of how each line ran for emergensies. The bottling house was ahead of its time with emergensy battery powered safety lights for power outages its own Nurse for injuries and a large lunch room with windows to see outside during the day in nice weather by raising the large metal roll door there.

The big Bottle house and all bottling in the old Kinsey Liqour bottling house jobs paid a good bit more then warehouse and even more then the yard gang.

I myself even if I could have bumped perfered the freedom of going in and out on the job to being inside all day and just about every job I have ever had I did great on was of this type!

When the bottle house opened in sept 1966 alot of people from the plant Maintaince and warehouses with lots of time went to work in the bottle house to get inside out of bad weather and hot weather. Ludy was one of those who chose to go into the bottle house as a bottling machine repairmen. He did this job till he retired in 1980 after 42 years!

When Mr Neuman died in 1976 the last years till sept 1979 everyone still worked at their normal jobs. When the company stopped the bottling of Spirits the place was retooled, then the bottle House reopened in 1980 doing industrial chemicals lots of the old timers with time left till they could retire went to the bottle house to keep their jobs once it reopened.

When I look back I am glad I left a few years before that as I would have hated seeing this end come to the Company.

It was the great job of safety equipment in it that was done when building the Bottle House that made it the safest Bottling House of its time. At the end of every line where the cases came off the Line there was a sprinkler above the hole in the last bulkhead wall. and sprinklers all through the line process's.

I have not been in the plant since Nov 2010 and expect to see lots of vandels work when I get there soon before the weeds take over. The people who watch the place tell me that lots of stainless pipe is gone in the bottle house and all the stainless heads on the many pumps. I will be able to tell by looking there and then at my Pictures from last year.

It will be a sad time but also a good thing for me to walk there once again.
    Dave Z
    =================================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-10-2011 at 05:24.

Disciple

Here are four more rare Angelo myers Pictures I was able to get through much research. These are all from the 1900 to 1907 period, after that Angelo myers disapeared. But Mr Jacob G Kinsey got what he wanted his whiskeys getting well known, and liked He sold them till Prohibition started and when it ended in fall 1933 he reopened the Distillery at age 75 and ran it till fall 1939 when he went bankrupt.

94 years later The plant closed forever, Mr Kinsey died around 1952 at age 94.
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Sometimes on weekends I look to see what the Kids are putting on U Tube about Kinsey and It amazes me how they take stuff I write and suddenly become experts about the Place. But if it keeps Kinsey and Publicker alive in history and I am all for it. Here are two Pictures the first is of a page out of the Old union book about are products for new members, the second picture I have put on a long time ago but it is fitting with all the excitment about Makers mark and putting the new floating slabs in. This letterhead is from 1962 when we were experimenting adding new slabs into Bourbon mash whiskey being put in used barrels. The date was Sept 7,17 1962 It also says they were not permitted to do this but could do it with Neutrol Spirits. It is a very interesting Paper and one of many letter head papers I have.

So Continental Distilling was already doing experiments with chared Slabs what we called Floaters when we started putting them in our 380 gal Barrels and 120 gal ones and even one Floater in some 48 gal barrels.

When I look at the industry today I see many inovations started by Publicker all those years ago.

It was Mr Neumans grand plan to own and operate a Distillery in Scotland and ship the Scotch here to be filled to save greatly on Taxes and no one can disput how big a seller Inver House Scotch was when we Bottled it at Linfield making it afordable to the working person who wanted to try Scotch.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inver House Scotch Soft As A Kiss
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-04-2011 at 09:26.

Guru

Floaters, great term, thanks Dave, and again I appreciate the efforts you are making to keep a piece of Bourbon history alive.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Floaters, great term, thanks Dave, and again I appreciate the efforts you are making to keep a piece of Bourbon history alive.
    Squire Floaters was what everyone called them back in those days. If you get a chance go to the Memories Thread I just posted a story about Old Hickory on two pages as I messed up putting one of the pictures on the information thread and it ended up changing the page so go to Page 73/#730 first then 74 #731. The Old Hickory brand at one time belonged to Fleckenstein-Mayer before prohibition and was distilled in Ky.

When I went into the Warehouses floaters were put in all the New larger Barrel's sizes 320 gal and 120 gal though the bung hole so many per barrel and size as we filled them. And It took a whole crew to move the 320 gal ones on the piles we put them on 2 tiers high with a lift. The 120 gal barrels were 3 tiers high on their heads.

The 380 gallon Barrels leaked through the Head alot as sitting that way in the pile. We would have plywood sheets on the pile and work the full barrels to their spot by rolling them on their head and it took about 4 guys to do it. As you moved them you could hear the floaters sometimes moving in them. We had a good days work when doing them. The big barrels came to use around the last full year I worked there. They would cut the racks out and then fill the big barrels which were shipped to the plant from marcus hook to be filled, then put them on piles where the racks once stood.
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-05-2011 at 11:01.