Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Dave, cool it!
    You are creeping me out,....also all those other threads, stay away from that place, it obviously has got you F'ed up.
    Free yourself for your own sake!
    Honestly Dave - please don't hurt yourself. I don't want to be reading about an accident in the paper one day. I understand your attachment, but please stay safe ...
    Mark

Dave, the lamp looks great. It's a lot taller than I imagined it would be! It's gotta be about 7 feet hangs, but I like the way it hangs down. The gooseneck was perfect for that lamp.
    The pressure is on to get mine done now!

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Hey Rod Here are a couple of pictures of my new lamp with my other lamps. I will post some shots in the 1966 Bottling house later this week here. Just got the goose neck Lamp back yesterday from the electrian. The explosion proof housing and Green shade is from the old Grain process building 1892 gotten for me by Rod many thanks. The pilot light is from warehouse C and the Detex Clock watch station box is from warehouse C. The Switch is from warehouse I and the goose neck pipe is from the weigh & Scale House at the back of the plant. The complete Lamp is built from Kinsey stuff except the base and bottom pipe.
    Here are 3 pictures of my new Lamp with the goose neck and 1 with my other two lamps. Also a picture of an old Continental Distilling Bottle My Friend got at a yard sale, and one I have never seen Old Harbor Blended Whisky. Bottle is coded 1940. Wish I would have found it!

I have one more project yet my lamp being made from the elevator explosion proof light housing in the middle of a pilot light and a explosion proof switch. I posted a picture of it waiting to be wired a couple of weeks ago. It will sit on the top of the cabinet near the front door to give me light when I come home in the dark during the winter months. Also I have a small lamp shade with vintage Continental Distilling whisky labels on it, that was on a lamp at the companies headquarters in Phila on my friend who ran Marking for Publicker Industries desk back in the day. I plan to sit it on the lamp when it is done. I will post a picture of the shade soon. It even has a Linfield Straight Bourbon Label on it.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Oscarv & Sutton don't worry I will not take that kind of chance again. At 65 in Sept I have to relise I can't do that kind of stuff anymore. Next time I go there I will be with Rod and will not do what I did on Monday night. I thank both of you for caring and for getting me to think a little more when it comes to taking chances! I love the place but do not want to die there.Thanks for your Wisdom!! PS I spoke to Ludy tonight He will be 94 in Sept and the first thing he asked me was how bad was it. I told him you would never want to see it! He said you are right it would kill me after I told him all the buildings that are gone He worked there for 44 yrs.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ========================================
    Kinsey the Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments
    ================================================== =========================

Disciple

Post Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

Today I found a couple of Pictures I got from an Old Video of Kinsey when DSP-Pa-12 was standing and the Old Bottle House was still complete, and The Old Kinsey Office building. I shot these with my Digital Camera from the computer screen so they are poor but still when its all there is its worth getting and posting.

1.& 2. The Old Dsp-pa 12 Distiller in 2003 2 years before I got there and it was knocked down boy I wish I could go back in time and walk in it and get pictures. These are the Only pictures i have found and i captured them from a video so they are poor but still awsome to see it again.
    3. The Old Kinsey Bottling house before fire and Ice took the second floor down if you look on the roof you can see the Old Skylights on the roof. Year 2003.
    4. The only Picture I have of the Old Built by Jacob G kinsey Office Building which served as the office for the Plant other then the 1966 Bottle house for the History of Kinsey. It was here that Jacob G Kinsey had his shot of Whiskey every Morning before the day began. When I first got back to the Plant this building was a Pile of Bricks. It was in this Building that Mr Reinert worked and Ruth Harrington and Ken Landis and others and this building is where my and all the plant workers Pays came from I hope some day to find better pictures but posing these makes sense for History sake.

I am thrilled that I was able by the amazing ability of Digital Camera to get these from the world wide web from a video for History, and I will continue to look for vintage pictures.
    Also I posted some Pictures after the fire at Kinsy taken on Monday on the Memories thread and I will be posting some inside the 1966 Bottle House pictures on that thread soon.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-06-2012 at 12:19.

Disciple

Here are some Pictures I took in the Continental Distilling 1966 Bottling house about 3 weeks ago with Don.
    1. & 2. Explosion Proof Furesent light fixture at incoming Tankage area of the Bottle House
    3. The Old Honeywell Quality Machine loaded and set for a day that never came back at the incoming spirits area.
    4. Emergencey Light High up at First Bulkhead wall where the Bottling Lines started.
    5. Emergencey Safety station in the far left shipping/Receiving and warehouseing end of the Bottling House. Note small siren at top.

I will continue to Keep getting pictures and have some more from this trip I will post later. It is amazing How bad time and no heat and Vandels have taken their toll on the Original Worlds Largest Bottling house for Spirits.

Dave Z
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-27-2012 at 09:54.

Disciple

Well the Sethness Caramel coloring barrel is safely at Kinsey west my house.
    Here is 2 pictures of it and also a picture I just got back from my Friend Butch who worked for Publicker, of Publickers West Wego,La Chemical Plant I had sent him to clean up on his software for me.
    1. Sethness barrel
    2. Sethness barrel
    3. Publicker Industries West Wego,La Chemical Plant

I will be posting some other pictures on the Memory Thread soon.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =============================================
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-13-2012 at 15:49.

Disciple

After the fire I went to Kinsey many times and also went in the 1966 Continental Distilling Bottling House.
    here are some of the shots I got.

1. Inside the 1966 Bottling house on one of the Pilers was a salt tablet dispenser it must have gotten fairly hot in there in the summer.
    2. One of the Old Steel Lunch room chairs I brought home to Kinsey west my house.
    3. The Sethness Caramel Barrel in warehouse E before Ethan his wife and his friend saved it for me.
    4. A sign that hung on the wall for Maintaince in the 1966 bottling house.
    5. A Picture of Me taking the piece of wood I saved from Warehouse D before they were knocked down.

Kinsey is doomed but I will continue to try and save things and talk about the Company as long as I can.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ======================
    America's most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

I just got some interesting Pictures from my Friend Butch who worked at Publicker for 10 years in Phila.
    Here are 3 Pictures of some more of Publickers Paco Tankers. These very Tankers hauled full barrels of Aged Scotch from Inverhouse Distillery to Phila and used Barrels to Scotland for Scotch.
    1.Paco Tanker S.S. Petersburg Built by Sun Ship in Chester pa 1943
    2. Paco Tanker S.S.Chilbart
    3. S.S. Perryville Built Between 1939 / 1943 acording to serial numbers Sun Ship Chester pa.

Having these Tankers made Mr Si Neumans dream work by being able to bring Barreled Scotch
    made in Scotland by a Distillery that was American owned, to the USA to be Bottled at Kinsey in the brand new 1966 Continental Distilling Bottle house. Saving Millions of dollars on Surtaxes & tarrifs and making Scotch afordable to the Common Man!
    4. Finally Here is a Picture Of Hana Publicker Born 1908- died -1990, daughter of Philip and Mollie Publicker and Niece of Harry Publicker. Philip Publicker Founded American Commercial Alcohol company in Phila not far from Harry Publickers Publicker Commercial Alcohol Company! So the early routes of American Distilling were in Philadelphia just a short distance from Harry Publickers Plant which was to become Publicker Industries / Continental Distilling / And Kinsey Distilling Plus Therm Ice and much more.

I will be 65 on Sunday and I have been writting about the Company now 6 years in Nov this year. I never get tired of finding things about the company and putting them here, it is a work of Love for me!
    About The Greatest Distilling Company in History To Me!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =======================

Disciple

To go in the 1966 Bottling house and have seen it in its glory days is hard to believe. I am going to take a walk in it this coming Sunday afternoon. It leaks water everywhere and has been robbed of many things by Vandels, but I well remember the day it opened in 1966. Myself and many other people got jobs that Sept. I had just turned 19 and was working on heavy Contruction when a friend who worked with me who's family ran the construction company told me I should go see if I could get a job there. My First day I went to see the Company nurse, a story I have told before. She got all my information and told me Young Man, please do not get hurt and try to never get hurt in the afternoon after 2:00PM as that is when I have my Boubon and Coffee as I was told to do by my doctor. I was 19 yrs old and believed her that day. months Later I went over to visti after 2:00 PM her and saw her with her giant stehacope listing to a guys cest she looked at him and said I can't hear anything. He sat there with his eyes rolled back I left quick and had a good laugh out of hearing range.

The place was huge almost 200 area's and there were lots of old cars and trucks running around the plant. I was on the yard gang for my first couple of years and we had a 1947 Ford Pickup, and an old Ford 8/n tractor and wagon. Summer it was lawns and winter Snow cleanup unloading coal cars and sweeping floors. I loved sweeping as no one wanted to do the old Buildings so I voluntiered and got to go in the Old DSP - Pa -12 still and the Old Grain buildings. I well remember looking at the old Honeywell quality machine with paper disc's dated for spring 1951 the day the Still never ran again. The Buildings were old but as long as Si Neuman ran the company everything was kept operational and clean fully sprinkeled and electric power.

In my wildest dreams did ever think the place would be abandoned and it is still sureal for me to go and see it like it is. It is if it was left to die and there it sits.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

Here are some more Pictures of stuff and the Phila Plant.
    1. Full never used Cases gotten for Ethan 3 or 4 weeks ago for a Musuem he and his friend are going to make.
    2. My two Old Hickory Clocks
    3. A touched up Picture of the Publicker Plant and the AA building with the Famous Old hickory Neon sign given me by Butch.

The last time about 3 weeks ago when I went into the 1966 Bottling house I could not believe how bad the shape of it is. It is the newest building on site 1951 and the very worse one. Water pours in from the roof everything that could be stolen has been and everything that could be vandelisd has been. When I opened it was such a proud day for those of us who got a job there because it opened. At that time 600 People worked on site, all good hard working Men and women. Our Products were first rate and Old Hickory was the worlds most famous Bourbon!
    This time of year a couple weeks before Thanksgiving was our most busy times, rail car after rail cars were getting loaded with fine whiskeys truck after truck also were being loaded at the long docks. We could do 3 rail cars and I think 10 trucks at the same time.

Now I go and everyone is gone and the plant is like a memory. Where have all the people gone, a good many have passed on and there are a few like me who can tell the story of the worlds largest Distiller of fine spirits.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ======================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments