Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

Well Sat April 2 and April 25 day afer Easter I made trips into Kinsey to see how bad it is right now, I took some pictuers which I will post on all 3 threads according to what the picture is.
    1. Going into the Plant on Monday looking from the front gate.
    2. Front dock along the 1966 Bottle House
    3. Another front shot of the 1966 Bottle house as trees and weeds take over the dock which once could service 3 box cars and 10 trucks at a time.
    4.Front and side of the Big 2 football field long 1/2 football field+ wide bottle house.
    5. Side view of Bottling house to show how wide it was besides long.
    6. Front Water Tower and side of the bottle house.
    7. Last remaining Continental Distilling truck vandelized and trees making it disappear back dock of the 1966 bottle house.
    8. Trees taking over the tall black Whiskey inlet tanks to the incoming side of the bottle house.

I will post more plant pictures today on the other two Threads it gets harder to stand the longer the place sits rotting.
    To think over 200+ people worked just in the Bottling house and now the only work going on is the rain water destroying the building and the vandels doing all they can to strip it of its famous history.

If I could go back in time to April 1979 they would be bottling Old Hickory and all out other Products right now. Men would be rolling Barrels in the warehouses and the Old Kinsey Bottle house would be cranking out Liquors.
    Those really Were The Days My Friends
    --------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 04-26-2011 at 07:05.

Disciple

I am posting 3 pictures that butch who worked at Publicker around the same time line I worked at Kinsey created from from a large Picture I have, and gave Him one of that were given me by my friend who was high up in Marketing for Publicker. Butch took the Picture
    and made two small ones of parts of the Bigler street plant and explained what the areas where. And also A Picture He took when he met me at Kinsey on Sat afternoon. The two original Pictures of the Bigler street plant at one time hung at the Company Headquarters on 1429 Walnut Street in Phila. Butch and I are going to get the pictures restored for History! I also have a real nice third one which all I had to do was put a new wire on to hang it in my Work office the one I get restored will go on the wall at my house.

1. Here is the Bigler Street Phila Plant
    From the Large Picture I gave Butch of the Bigler street plant he made the next two closeups of specail area's.
    2. this one is the Bigler Street Engineering Dept, the building with the Vent stacks was the supervisors Lunch room.

3. The AA ( Acetic Acid ) Plant which anyone who ever went over the Walt Whitman Bridge back those days will remember the Famous Old Hickory Neon Sign up on top of the building.

4. A picture Butch took of the Old Publicker sign at Kinsey Yesterday when I took him for a trip through the Plant.

I also Posted 8 Pictures I took last week and Early April at kinsey on my Memories thread today.
    Dave Z
    =================================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments.

Disciple

On Sunday around 11;45 I took Ethen and his wife on a walk through Kinsey and then coming out to the front Ethen was able to climb where I never could have to get me 8 Shots of the second floor of the Old Grain drying Building what is left of it. He was able to go up a rickety Old Ladder to the second floor however the ladder vandels had to the 3rd Floor was too shaky!
    1. Through 8. These are all first time shots of the grain drying building long after the people who claimed they were fixing the Place were stealing any metal they could get striping the building and removing the metal system to take the grain to the final grain process buiilding and into the still.
    9. This is a picture of the old Metal system that ran the grain from the two silos to the drying building. A was lucky enough to get this back in 2002 taken by someone else it shows what the silo's had back when i worked there.
    I will be posting more pictures soon on the Memories thread and Mike found me a type of Whiskey Thief in the ruin of the old Bottle house I have to take a picture of it, plus I have some more Whiskey Barrel and inside tank storage pictures and one of my Friends found a rare perfect Glass site gauge for the Old Tank in the old Kinsey Bottle House that the jerk who stealing metal cut up and stole.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==

Disciple

In early May I took 3 different groups through Kinsey and still have some shots to Post. Last night I was thinking about the 1966 Continental Distilling Bottling house and what an amazing thing it was in 1966! The day it opened it was the Most Modern and largest Bottling house in the World. It was an amazing thing to open it in 1966 and open the Inver House Distillery in late 1964. Publicker always thought Big and bold when they did anything. We had if not the first, one of the very first Computer Driven Bottling Lines Old Line A-1-F which could do 40,000 Bottles a day by itself! Plus 10 other lines and the Old Kinsey Bottle House to do all our Many and great Liquors. What a difference now from then when the parking lots overflowed with workers, at one point 600 people working at Kinsey and 2 shifts in the Bottle House. I hope to go with my Friends into the 1966 Bottle House to get pictures again and see how much has been stolen from there too. I saw Ludy over the Memorial day holiday and he is doing ok, he will be 93 in Sept.
    I showed Ludy the Old Whiskey Thief that Mike found for me in the ruins of the back side of the Old Kinsey bottle house. And I am going to post a couple of pictures here and the rest in the memories thead.
    1. Explosion proof Electric Header in warehouse Q.
    2. Me leaving holding the Barrel Head Ethan found on his tour with me.
    3. Warehouse C last of the barrels from the Lot Frickys and my Barrel came from slowly being destroyed by leaking water in the warehouse.
    Note Tankage in the background.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-10-2011 at 09:12.

Disciple

Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

Picture 2 is one of my alltime favorites.

It shows Dave on the facility grounds. That's the one we have been missing all this time.

Good work Dave.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Jeff I always enjoy getting back to Kinsey but rarely has anyone been with me to take a picture of me with my Camera, its a first and that weekend taking 3 different groups for a tour was awesome!

It made me think back to the last year I worked there and stacking 380 gal Whiskey Barrels 2 tiers high bottom heads down. That was work as we Had to put ply wood sheets down and then about 5 to 6 guys had to slowly roll barrels into place on their bottom head.

And talk about leaks it was an Idea that Continental really messed up on. It started with 120 gal barrels then the cooperage plant made these giant 380 gal ones, that buldged like crazy. Sadly there are no ones left to take pictures of.

Here is a Picture of the only surviving 120 gal whiskey Barrel missing its head do to vandels.
    1. 120 gal experimental Whiskey Barrel early 1970's next step was 380 gal ones!

Still I think about what inovators Continental Distilling was. Forty Eight years before Makers Mark tried floaters as we called them, in early 1962 Continental was asking the ATF to be able to try them. So very sad to know they are gone, and hopfully their memory will go on with my writting and pictures.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dave, I don't know if I am doing this right, but here goes. Your comments about the 360 gallon barrels brought back a lot of memories. When the bottling plant closed in December of 79' we were laid off for 7 months. In July of 80' a hand full of us were brought back. I had the good luck to work in the warehouses. My job was to shook (breaking barrels apart) the 360 gal barrels. Very hard work. Another guy worked with me. First job was to take the belly hoops off and then the top and bottom hoops. This would cause the barrel to collapse. If it was dry inside, I got full of charcoal, if it was wet, I went home smelling like liquor. Cannot describe what I looked like at the end of the shift, but my husband would just shake his head when I came home. When I first went over to the warehouse, we had to get the barrels down from the boards that you described. I remember one of the boards shifted and my Dad almost got seriously hurt. The interesting thing is that my Dad was a Cooper and a lot of those barrels were made by him. Do not think he made any of the large ones, however. Anyhoo, just had to reply, sorry to go on so. I have 20 years of memories of that place. Most good, not all!
    Sandie
    Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Jeff I always enjoy getting back to Kinsey but rarely has anyone been with me to take a picture of me with my Camera, its a first and that weekend taking 3 different groups for a tour was awesome!

It made me think back to the last year I worked there and stacking 380 gal Whiskey Barrels 2 tiers high bottom heads down. That was work as we Had to put ply wood sheets down and then about 5 to 6 guys had to slowly roll barrels into place on their bottom head.

And talk about leaks it was an Idea that Continental really messed up on. It started with 120 gal barrels then the cooperage plant made these giant 380 gal ones, that buldged like crazy. Sadly there are no ones left to take pictures of.

Here is a Picture of the only surviving 120 gal whiskey Barrel missing its head do to vandels.

Still I think about what inovators Continental Distilling was. Forty Eight years before Makers Mark tried floaters as we called them, in early 1962 Continental was asking the ATF to be able to try them. So very sad to know they are gone, and hopfully their memory will go on with my writting and pictures.
    Dave Z

Hi Dave, I don't know if I am doing this right, but here goes. Your comments about the 360 gallon barrels brought back a lot of memories. When the bottling plant closed in December of 79' we were laid off for 7 months. In July of 80' a hand full of us were brought back. I had the good luck to work in the warehouses. My job was to shook (breaking barrels apart) the 360 gal barrels. Very hard work. Another guy worked with me. First job was to take the belly hoops off and then the top and bottom hoops. This would cause the barrel to collapse. If it was dry inside, I got full of charcoal, if it was wet, I went home smelling like liquor. Cannot describe what I looked like at the end of the shift, but my husband would just shake his head when I came home. When I first went over to the warehouse, we had to get the barrels down from the boards that you described. I remember one of the boards shifted and my Dad almost got seriously hurt. The interesting thing is that my Dad was a Cooper and a lot of those barrels were made by him. Do not think he made any of the large ones, however. Anyhoo, just had to reply, sorry to go on so. I have 20 years of memories of that place. Most good, not all!
    Sandie

Dave Z

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sandiefett View Post
    Sandie
    Hi Sandie glad to hear from you been wanting to give you a call about Kinsey. As I remember once they were filled and had aged, to the right time and proof we used a Pump to pump out the Whiskey and then as you said many of them sat there empty till you started tearing them apart. They were Hell to move full on the Ply wood boards they would sit on, when we ran them up to the second layer. It took about 6 or 7 of us to move them on the head rim to where they had to go on the pile. We would lift the edge and roll till we had them layered on the Pile as many as we could. Let me tell you 360 gal is alot of weight to move rolling a barrel on its bottom head. Also they leaked through the bottom head big time.Your Dad and Ludy were the best Coopers I ever saw and no doubt he had put many of those barrels togther. Good to hear from you!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-27-2011 at 06:47.

Disciple

Hi Sandie glad to hear from you been wanting to give you a call about Kinsey. As I remember once they were filled and had aged, to the right time and proof we used a Pump to pump out the Whiskey and then as you said many of them sat there empty till you started tearing them apart. They were Hell to move full on the Ply wood boards they would sit on, when we ran them up to the second layer. It took about 6 or 7 of us to move them on the head rim to where they had to go on the pile. We would lift the edge and roll till we had them layered on the Pile as many as we could. Let me tell you 360 gal is alot of weight to move rolling a barrel on its bottom head. Also they leaked through the bottom head big time.Your Dad and Ludy were the best Coopers I ever saw and no doubt he had put many of those barrels togther. Good to hear from you!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    Hey Sandie do you remember during the last months the bottling house still was bottling Whiskey of a bad batch of Governors Club that had a musty,moldy smell? I found some old Letter head and some old copies of Letters to state stores and the company from Troy NY and Kenmore NY about bad Whiskey. Also I found some letters begging the Company to find out where they could get Some County Fair Bottle in Bond Bourbon. One from a Man in Memhpis TN who traveled to Montano every summer and got County Fair Straight Bourbon there and He asked if they could give him places in Tn, Ok or Miss where he could get it when at home in the Winter,and He wants some Badly the letter is dated 10/10/79. Quite a statement of How Good Our County Fair Was. I am lucky to have a couple of Old Bottles and have a wee bit now and then. The Mans name was Robert R. Milner and He said ours was the very Best!
    Hope you can give information on the bad batch of Governors!
    Dave Z
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-27-2011 at 11:20.