Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

It seems no matter how cold or lousy the Weather I try to get to Kinsey every week. I think because I know that one of these days it will all be gone and so I try to see and save and take pictures as much as I can. Saturday with my orange on for hunting season I went in again and mainly got some pictures again outside and in the 1966 Bottling House which was called All Purpose warehouse U in its early days before becoming the world largest bottling house in 1965 /1966.

The tour starts with a Shot I got from a different Angle on the Hill on the Back side of Building O I was able to get all 2 footbal fields worth of the 1966 Bottling House. Looking at the Black Tanks down to the Water tower that is the whole length of the Bottle house it took me till now to get a shot of the whole thing one because weeds have died for the Winter and two finding a angle that you could do it with out cutting some of it out.

Shot 2. I go into the enclosure of the black tanks for incoming Whiskey!
    Pic 3. through 11. inside the Tankage area including pictures of Signs on tanks, Meters, stuff on the roof Chillers I think, The far front big white tank hidden by trees, Stairs to the top of the tanks and a Picture inside one of the tanks!

Next Are shots of The Quality Office biins that say Not stamped, outgoing, Greenwich which Meant Greenwich CT company Headquarters and Bigler for the Bigler street Plant.
    Next a shot of a soda machine full of Cups never to be used again then Pictures of Tankage inside, A machine that said Whiskey Chiller on its side but I some how in the dark did not get the right part where it was written and the last shot Looking toward the first Bulkhead wall where the Bottle Lines started their journey two football fields to the end where bottles were cased and skided and warehoused!

I hope these Picture are ok as my Lens on my camera was steaming up in the cold damp air in there had to get out quick as not so good for my Asthma in there.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent bourbon
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 12-21-2008 at 06:55.

Disciple

In its time the 1966 Continental Distilling Bottling House at Kinsey was the worlds Biggest, I am wondering now having never been in any Bottling houses except it are they bigger today? Do they have more then 11 Lines going all the Time? And could they as we could do our whole Product Line for that day and someone elses as the My Friend who was a top EX with Publicker told me we could?

I know as a fact Ours was the Biggest then but that was a long time ago and I would love to know what amount of Lines does the Biggest one have now and How many People does it take in the biggest one to run it today? We had between 450 to 500 people running ours on two shifts do companys run two shifts of Bottling today?

I am thinking that they are smaller and leaner if for no other reason then less Bourbon and spirits selling compared to the Old Days but not having been to any Distillery other then Our Plant I honestly do not Know.
    We did Gin, Vodka,Rum Blended Whiskey and Bourbon all at the same time, and Our Liqours were being made in the Old Kinsey Bottle House at the same time.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ====================================

Disciple

Re: A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

I have seen a few bottling lines...some real small and one real big. BT, KBD, Four Roses and HH all have small hand run lines for some of their products. While HH and BT have larger lines for the mass produced products. I have only seen HH's big operation, though. HH has both older and newer lines. Their old lines I would guess are somewhat similar to some of the 1966 BH. While, their new lines are super fast and don't require the hands on maintanence that the older ones do. They also have two huge pallet jacks that are fully automated. The way HH runs their lines and bottling could set the standard for any bottle house in the world. They really know the meaning of teamwork. And Yes, they work double shifts at HH.

Barton does have a decent line in Bardstown. Not huge but looks to be able to get the job done. They were cranking out lot's of product when I was there last. Also, Sam Cecils son works on the Barton line.

Disciple

Jeff How big is the building it is in? I doubt anyone has a building the size Continentals was two foot ball fields long but there was allot more Bourbon and Whiskey in General being made and sold those days so I would doubt anyone would ever build a Bottle House like the Kinsey 1966 one ever again!

I am sure there are some better systems but I would be willing to bet there are still some of the Old Bottle Machines out there cranking out Whiskey. It is a real shame that such a modern Bottling House as that was only ran for 13 yrs for Whiskey and then 7 yrs Industrial and was torn apart and left to ruin.

What was great about Building U the Bottle House was it did everything it was shipping, 11 lines of Bottling, warehousing of Full cases and Tankage all in One giant Building, it was truley one of a Kind.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

Heaven Hill has a huge warehouse and bottling house. I had purchased a new camera for my first distillery trip. The camera could not even get a good picture in the case storage part of the warehouse because it was soooo big.

Here is a link to the satillite picture of Bardstown. If you look to where Gilkey Run and HWY 49 cross...on the south east corner of town. You will notice that where the "My Ky Home" golf course ends...is the HH Bottle House. Tanks can be seen directly behind the original BH. While the large silver toped area has to be the case goods warehouse.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...:::::f:EN:M:/e

Disciple

I was in complete amazement when Bettye Jo showed me how much invintory the facility would hold. Also, that everything in there had already been sold...and they were in the process of moving it all out and filling it up with fresh supplies. It was really hard to believe that what is so impressive to me was just another day of work for the crew in the BH. If BJ sees any of this...she can fill in some of the blanks with actual numbers, which is even more impressive. They really kick some ass at HH.

Disciple

Sunday Afternooon I took an icy walk through Kinsey and I got some new Pictures of the 1966 Bottling house outside in the very front side and around that way I have never taken and here they are

1. walking at the front from the still area here is part of the Dock of Building U the 1966 Bottling house. Skids piled high wait for shipment which will never happen.
    2. Farther along I was amazed to see more Abandon Singer style Bottling Machines this one looks to be in nice shape for years of sitting outside.
    3.The Next 4 Bottling Machines are covered with thorn growth in this picture.
    4. Closeup of Weed covered Machines.
    5.Going to the Far end from the front to the Big Black tanks Hundreds of Skids wait for use that will never come!
    6. I finally walked to the Big white tank tower and the nexts shots will be of it including this one.
    7,The last shot of the front door dock 1 at far end of docks
    8. The white tank
    9. Inside white tank It has a door and I opened it to find it is a vat of some sort I have no clue if anyone does please share could have been for the Anitfreeze operation
    10. Here is another strange set up a continuous line that has side guides and drive belt and brought something outside and then back in.
    11.Trees growing everywhere at the docks and all over
    12. There is another tank of some sort here in the fenced in area
    13. Trees taking over the Rails that took Box cars and Tankers to the back part of the Plant from the front of the Bottling House the ones going back came this route and the ones to the far side front warehouses came around the other way
    14. The Back tanks from the front side incoming Spirits
    15. Another shot of the Black tanks
    17. A shot of the inside black tank area from a different Angle
    18. This is the best shot I have gotten yet of the Whole Bottling House which starts at the Black tanks and runs down to the water tower 2 football fields long!

Not to bad a job for an Old Guy with Asthma I refuse to not take chances and even went into the old Buildings again as the Old Kinsey Liqour Bottling house is in its last days so I took a picture in it also which will be on the other thread with plant pictures

I will also be posting some plant pictures on the Memories thread today.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 02-02-2009 at 06:22.

Disciple

I am thinking about our most famous Bourbon this morning and My personal all time favorite Old Hickory Straight Bourbon!

If I would have thought the day would come that it was not made anymore I would have stocked up by the case many cases! I have never found any Bourbon made today that tastes like Old Hickory especialy our 86 Proof 10 year Old. It is a very Flavorful and Mellow pour and so many Bottles flowed out of the Linfield Bottle House we had it running almost every day during holiday times and out In Lemont IL and many more back in the day at our Bottle House at Bigler Street in Phila. It was Our Biggest seller and known workld wide.

I used to think when I worked there how cool it was that someone in the UK would be having Old Hickory in the evening while it was day time here and we were bottling it.

It is hard for me to believe I have such a hard time finding any when I get low but it is a fact I guess it was so dam good that people drank it all up for the most part. Anyone who has had it will agree it was a very special Bourbon!
    Dave Z
    =========================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon
    ==========================================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 02-03-2009 at 04:17.

Disciple

After posting the picture of my Libery Bell Whiskey Decanter I thought about all the trouble the company Had with them. They were the worst bottle we ever did. There would be continualy ones when sealed that leaked. They made these from 1976/ through 1977.

There was a giant batch of them that had a hair crack in the bell where the fake liberty bell crack was and Continental had to sue the maker as they refused to replace them. They were not our normal bottle maker as the company would always use Diamond Glass bottles but they did not do decanters. Diamond Glass was in Royersford and Continental aways used local venders whenever possible.

The one I have had the cork broken off as all of them did and I replaced it and filtered out the cork through a brown coffee Filter. and reatached the seal.

The only other decanter they ever made was the Andrew Jackson Old Hickory one and it had a regular stopper and worked out they made them in 1955 /56. I have 4 of them all empty.

And they made their Famous Coffee Corafe which came in sets of 2-- 100 proof BIB or 86 proof. They came with an owners manual and could have coffee or water warmed in them on a burner wire to add whiskey to make a hot Toody! I have a set with the box of the 100 proof BIB and three of the other type one was my Dads and the other given to me by someone when I worked there both empty and one that was given me by the Son of my Friend Smitty the Government Man at Kinsey one year just before the Linfield reunuion, which is for people who lived in Linfield where the Company was located.
    Dave Z
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Kinsey The Richest Whiskey Of All
    Join The Swing To Kinsey
    Kinsey The Genial Gin
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

Here are some pictures of some original Promotion Pictures for Products I have from the plant. They were laying trashed in the Old Government Building and I saved them and brought them home for History.
    Products are Inver House Scotch, Mac Arthurs Scotch, Old Hickory, and Pinwinnie Scotch! And Finnaly the first one is Caffe Lolita.

Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------
    Inver House Scotch Soft As A Kiss
    -----------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-18-2009 at 03:02.