Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

adding water......

I don't even drink water with ice so am not likely to add it to bourbon.

I have been adding water, but found myself inconsistent until using a shotglass to measure. I am curious how you all add water to bourbon, say like tonite I a drinking the Weller Antique 107 and adding water. Is there a watering device to add water to straight whiskey? I don't put too much whiskey in the glass, so I need to control a very small amount of water.

Guru

Re: adding water......

If it makes it easier, start with more whiskey in the glass....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

I have used a drinking straw and stick it in a glass of water and plug the end with your thumb, you can add drop by drop that way. No measure just by taste. Or try a shot and a half to a half shot of water!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

I rarely add water to bourbon, but when I do I fill the cap to a Dasani bottle, or Perrier, or use an eye dropper, if I merely want to "touch" the bourbon, in an attempt to the bring out some of the flavor profile. I have never had much success in this endeavor (I'm probably doing something wrong). If a bourbon requires water, I nearly always relegate it to mixing. If the whisk[e]y is true sewage (e.g. Conecuh Ridge), then I contribute it to the plant dilution for my wife's Paperwhite bulb growing efforts. A win-win accomodation!
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Taster

I simply dip my finger into a bottle of spring water. Usually add two to three drops. Currently sippin' on some Handy and two drops was just the ticket.

Guru

I usually just slow pour to taste. If you want to be more precise, then use the SB dilution calculator here. I'll use the calc. when cutting a very high proof whiskey, say the current Stagg.

I prefer my bourbon somewhere between 90 and 110 proof depending on the mashbill. I like wheaters at a higher proof (100-110) and rye at a somewhat lower proof (~90-100). I know I'm probably stating the obvious but for those new to bourbon, only use spring water...not tap when cutting proof.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Pappy Van Winkle always said you should pour water in the glass, then add whiskey. That way, he said, you were making a poor thing better rather than making a good thing worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Pappy Van Winkle always said you should pour water in the glass, then add whiskey. That way, he said, you were making a poor thing better rather than making a good thing worse.
    I had read that before, and do just that. I see no reason to try to out-think the thinkers ahead of me. To paraphrase a one-time debating point, I'm no Pappy Van Winkle.
    Tim

Taster

I've only ever added water to stagg and bookers and generally just hold my glass under the tap opened to a trickle for a second. we have great well water so it mixes well with bourbon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    I've only ever added water to stagg and bookers and generally just hold my glass under the tap opened to a trickle for a second. we have great well water so it mixes well with bourbon.
    You are correct. I mentioned Tap water since most are on some sort of utility system. Those of us fortunate to have well water (me included), it's good water always available. I too use my tap since it's clean and pure.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog