Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rittenhouse 23

Virtuoso

Rittenhouse 23

I came across a bottle or Rittenhouse 23. I'm pretty new to the whiskey world. I've seen little talk about the 23. Can anyone fill me in on what to expect from it?

Please be as detailed as possible. (i'm not too smart)

Guru

Re: Rittenhouse 23

I did not know the 23yo was out, I knew they were going to put one out for at least $50.00 more than the 21yo.
    ovh

The 23yo comes from the same batch as the 21 year old -- the latter was almost 22 when bottled, and the former was barely 23, which is why they're appearing within 18 months of each other.
    The 21yo was a stretch @ c. $150 for 100 proof, so I won't be buying any of essentially the same stuff at a higher price aged a few more months.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I did not know the 23yo was out, I knew they were going to put one out for at least $50.00 more than the 21yo.
    The 23 is available at the Super Liquor IV in Ann Arbor. I believe it's about $200.
    Craig

Connoisseur

I picked up the Rittenhouse 21 for $139 and the 23 for $149 last month at Shopper's Vineyard on sale I'm guessing. Price has gone up since then though.
    Illuminati in training

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    I picked up the Rittenhouse 21 for $139 and the 23 for $149 last month at Shopper's Vineyard on sale I'm guessing. Price has gone up since then though.

I'd love to know you thoughts on these.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I'd love to know you thoughts on these.
    As would I

Taster

Opinion-wise, are these more so a conversation piece than anything else? I ask, because I know people who managed to get bottles, but more so than I think is the usual rate, the bottles were never opened.

There was a local bar that had a bottle of the 21, which a friend of mine pretty much drained solo in $35/per Sazerac cocktails...but other than that, I don't really hear much about how good, bad or otherwise either iteration is / was.

With that in mind, I suspect you guys aren't getting as much of the feedback you had hoped for because the trendency appears to be geared more to collection of these more so than actually imbibing.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    There was a local bar that had a bottle of the 21, which a friend of mine pretty much drained solo in $35/per Sazerac cocktails...but other than that, I don't really hear much about how good, bad or otherwise either iteration is / was.
    It was rated in a tasting against Red Hook and Willett's in a tasting thread called "The Great American Rye Shootout".
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    It was rated in a tasting against Red Hook and Willett's in a tasting thread called "The Great American Rye Shootout".
    Joe
    I remember that comparison thread. Certainly wasn't taking a swipe or telling anyone to get with the program - lol.

I'm guilty of having an un-open bottle, myself, (RhR 21). Just was pointing out that it seems to be more common that not as many people as usual have first hand opinions on either release.

And while I certainly don't view myself as a 'collector', considering what's already open and needing attention etc. I'm in no hurry to open my bottle either.