Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Exclamation Hello from Middle Tennessee

Ok, so I thought it was time to finally sign up an get involved after reading a lot of great information on here. Well, to start off I am from southern middle Tennessee (Southern Tennessee Sipper=sotnsipper). I have been sipping various whiskeys for a while now. Now for the shocker, I have always been a Jack fan. I am from Tennessee. However, as I get older and my tastes are changing, I have branched out. I have really grown to be a bourbon drinker over any other type of whiskeys. I am over my wild and crazy drink to get drunk days and have started to enjoy the flavor that whiskey holds. I would not consider myself to be a "Top-Shelf" whiskey drinker however. My current favorites are Wild Turkey 101, Old Heaven Hill, Fighting Cock, Evan Williams Black Label, and anything Rye - especially Rittenhouse. I have just located two stores in middle TN that actually carry Rittenhouse, one carries the 80 and the other carries the 80 and the BIB 100 proof. I seem to head for the Rye before I do anything else though. It is such a complex taste that is hard to explain I guess. I did try the Wild Turkey Rye and liked it but the Rittenhouse just blew me away! As for the Bourbon, the FC is my go to drink. It has a good complex taste and is a bit cheaper in my area than Wild Turkey. The Old Heaven Hill would be my second go to. It is fairly cheap and hits the spot at 100 BIB. I must confess though, a bottle of George Dickle 12 year slips into my cabinet from time to time. I find myself leaning toward the higher proof as it seems to have more of the taste I am looking for. I like my drinks on the rocks or mixed with Coke. I on occasion have a drink neat but prefer it on the rocks. I would like some suggestions based on this info as to what I may like to try. I usually try to stay in the $10-$25 range when buying. I usually start with a 5th and if I like, go for a bigger bottle that will last me. I like to kick back on the weekends and drink about two drinks a night watching a good movie after the kids are in bed. Plus, I really like whiskey and have to limit myself. Anyway, I look forward to talking with all of you about your suggestions. I don't get on the computer a lot due to work schedules so if I am slow to respond, it's nothing personal. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you!

Connoisseur

Re: Hello from Middle Tennessee

Welcome to SB! Depending on what you have in your area a nice less expensive higher proof pour is Weller Antique 107. Old Grand Dad BIB is a great value/flavor as well. One of my favorite high rye Bourbons is Old Grand Dad 114.

Enjoy your Research!

Todd

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Welcome, but I do feel compelled to say that a quick read of your user name gives one quite a start!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Southern Middle Tennessee is my neighborhood, so if you're looking for anything in particular, holler, and I can probably direct you. I suspect I've been in most area stores more than a few months old.
    Anyway, everything you listed besides WT 101 is made by Heaven Hill, and it's a great producer of enjoyable whiskey at affordable prices. But, it also means you've much to look forward to. Buffalo Trace is in most places around here, and wheaters W.L. Weller Special Reserve or Old Weller Antique 107 are nearly as common. I think you should especially try a wheated bourbon, just because. None of these should top $25, even after sales tax. Many others, as I'm sure you've noticed from your forum browsing.
    Welcome.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Welcome from East Tennessee!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    Welcome, but I do feel compelled to say that a quick read of your user name gives one quite a start!
    Well, now that I look at it it does kind of resemble snot sipper.....oh well.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Southern Middle Tennessee is my neighborhood, so if you're looking for anything in particular, holler, and I can probably direct you. I suspect I've been in most area stores more than a few months old.
    Anyway, everything you listed besides WT 101 is made by Heaven Hill, and it's a great producer of enjoyable whiskey at affordable prices. But, it also means you've much to look forward to. Buffalo Trace is in most places around here, and wheaters W.L. Weller Special Reserve or Old Weller Antique 107 are nearly as common. I think you should especially try a wheated bourbon, just because. None of these should top $25, even after sales tax. Many others, as I'm sure you've noticed from your forum browsing.
    Welcome.
    Where abouts do you live. I am around the Lawrenceburg area. I usually do my buying in Columbia because Crown has been my go to store and it is on my way to work. Now L'burg has a few stores but I haven't had a chance to check any of them out yet. I have been by 4 6's in Mount Pleasant but was not that impressed with the bourbon selection. Where could I grab some of the Old Weller Antique 107? I have been reading about the wheatier bourbons but have not tried any as of yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    Welcome to SB! Depending on what you have in your area a nice less expensive higher proof pour is Weller Antique 107. Old Grand Dad BIB is a great value/flavor as well. One of my favorite high rye Bourbons is Old Grand Dad 114.

Enjoy your Research!

I have been looking for the OGD 114 but haven't found that around here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    Well, now that I look at it it does kind of resemble snot sipper.....oh well.
    Or, sot 'n' sipper!
    Tim