Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 3/08: Old Charter 12yo

This month let's talk about a recently discontinued product that has been held in high regard by our membership: Old Charter 12yo "The Classic"

We are all painfully aware of rising prices on everything from gas to milk and especially our own bourbon whiskey. Demand is up and supplies are down, stretched and allocated to the extreme. What cost $15 a few blissful years ago is now pushing $25 or higher. To make matters worse, bourbon brand managers are cutting some brands to liquidate supplies for others. OC12 got the death sentence last year. RIP.

Not withstanding a depressing situation, it should still be possible for the skilled bourbon hunter to track down a bottle or two, or if you were investing in your future, you should have some bunkered away. Let's reminisce of our good times with Old Charter 12yo, now truly a "Classic."

Sound off
    Last edited by jeff; 03-18-2008 at 16:03.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Taster

Re: BOTM, 3/08: Old Charter 12yo

Good to see Old Charter get some BOM love. I am a big of Old Charter. I have one bottle of the 12 yo bunkered, and kinda want another before I open one. I was in Oklahoma in the fall and it was everywhere there. I found Old Charter BIB there, which I have also yet to try. Big fan of the 10 yo, and the 8 yo is a nice mixer. To bad that is all we have now.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    ...it should still be possible for the skilled bourbon hunter to track down a bottle or two...
    A bit of research has led me to conclude that OC 12 has not been sold in OR for many years, if ever.

Oh well, there's always next month...
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Was out looking for quasi-dusties for a fellow SBer. Spied a lone bottle of The Classic on the shelf and grabbed it.

That's what's great about the BOTM, it gets us out of our comfort zones to try new things.

My weekend will consist of sampling this and muttering to myself about how the #$(*&^! teams screwed up in the first round of the NCAA.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Apprentice

Just finished a bottle off last night. Good solid buy for the money. Same class as weller 12 year, Good stuff, Not earth shattering, but I hate to see anything this good at this price go away.

Russellc

Novice

OC12 is such a fine whiskey at a great price (at least when it was $15 a bottle!)
    It's so very sad to see it go!
    Maybe I'll open a bottle of it this weekend in it's honor.

Guru

Wow!

Been spending a good part of the evening drinking OC 12 (while watching "No Country For Old Men").

Great stuff! Classic is the right term... light and very approachable; moderately sweet with just the hint of char. Very, very drinkable. And, at the price, a great bargain.

Tomorrow I'm going out to find some more to stockpile. I'm a huge fan of OCPR... and this is very, very close.

If you haven't tried this... do so while you still can.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

I enjoy Charter 12. I just finished a Louisville Charter 12 1.75L earlier this month. I have several yellow-label Charter 12s bunkered for a fellow SB.com'er. And, I'm down to my last 1-liter Charter 12 (Louisville), so have not yet taken part this month.
    Tomorrow, I will seek out Old Charter 12yo "The Classic", not that tough a find here in Middle Tennessee, where it is no longer distributed (and never will be again, alas). My dilemma will be whether, and how many, to put back for future enjoyment. I like it a lot, but it's still on many shelves here. We will see.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ArtL View Post
    OC12 is such a fine whiskey at a great price (at least when it was $15 a bottle!)
    It's so very sad to see it go!
    Maybe I'll open a bottle of it this weekend in it's honor.
    Good to see a post from you, Art. I'm with you -- this is great bourbon because of its drinkability, so drink up!
    Tim

I am having my first taste of OC12, from a 200ml louisville labeled bottle, thanks to Tim.

I did a little research but couldn't find the specific info, so does the Louisville label indicate it was distilled at Old Charter Distillery?

I can tell it is high corn as it seems to lack much spice or Rye character, but is yet pretty flavorful and tasty. It was sort of lost on me for a while that this and the OCPR were BOTH going away, I thought it was only this one and figured that was bad enough but I'd get by with the 13 year when I needed one - - losing both just isn't right. I've never seen a bottle here and only bought 1 while I had the opportunity in the StL area so I am kicking myself a bit. I plan to rectify that at least partially by putting away a case or two of the OCPR from a single barrel selection done several years ago...

No luck for me bunkering the 12year unless there is another trip to the midwest or east anytime soon... Too bad because as mentioned this is very drinkable, probably wouldn't be a favorite as typically like more notable spice or distinct flavors but at the price I'd keep it around.

I really hope that Buffalo Trace is going to introduce something new now that they are getting rid of 3 well aged expressions. I am sorry but if they are doing this just to push Buffalo Trace and the new labeled Weller 12 around, I'll be a little disappointed. How about an extra aged (stated) version of BT, perhaps a 14 year old or something? .... I could go on ....
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"