Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: BOTM, 3/08: Old Charter 12yo

I picked up a yellow-label OC 12 today -- the label marking it as a very recent one, as the old black label only left distribution in our area within the past year.
    I enjoy the hint of cinnamon on the nose of this, which passes through very mildly to the palate. A little maple/brown sugar, slightest trace of leather, a light, lingering finish -- staying pretty sweet throughout.
    Yep, still like it. I'm going to sweeten this pour and add some diet cola -- and don't feel a bit abashed, since I paid under $17 for it (after a discount). Done it before -- it makes a fine bourbon-and-cola (or, for that matter, bourbon-and-ginger ale).
    I'll miss this, for sure, but the introduction of the Four Roses line into our area balances it out. It strikes me that the yellow-label Four Roses will make a nice substitution for the OC, at about the same price.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 03-22-2008 at 18:31.
    Tim

Guru

Or maybe sending some Four Roses to SoCal.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

This has been a favorite of mine from the moment I tasted it.

It is quite sweet, but manages to avoid being one-dimensional. This is probably owing mostly to its age, which allows it to take on leathery and spicy characteristics as others have noted.

Moreover, though, I love the mouthfeel of this whiskey. Some corn-heavy whiskey tastes cornfat to the point of being oily. This is just fat. Rich and smooth stuff, which is why I've bunkered 12-14 bottles of Frankfort and 2-3 of L'ville (I've come across some foul L'ville, which I assume is due to the way it was stored and not to what went into the bottles). I will miss this one greatly when it's gone for good. As it is now, I drink it on special occasions.

To some, it may not attain the towering heights of other 12yos, particularly WT12. But considering that until 5 months ago, I bought it for $14.49 all day long, it may well be the best bourbon value in history. One wonders what might have happened had BT slowly pushed up the price of this one instead of allowing stocks to dwindle the past few years. We might've complained, but we could still buy it easily today and for years to come, probably.

Taster

I am still looking around in the local stores for some 12yo OC. Only finding 8 and 10 yo at the moment. But if do find some I will report back with my thoughts on the taste of it. Unless a kind "SBer" can direct me to some in eastern kansas.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post

I really hope that Buffalo Trace is going to introduce something new now that they are getting rid of 3 well aged expressions. I am sorry but if they are doing this just to push Buffalo Trace and the new labeled Weller 12 around, I'll be a little disappointed. How about an extra aged (stated) version of BT, perhaps a 14 year old or something? .... I could go on ....

I've been thinking that BT probably considers the Eagle Rare 17 and GTS as their extra-aged bottling. Does it suck that now we have to wait for the fall and spend more money than in the past, YES!!!!! Thank God I have a bunker filled with cases of the gems we will miss. I wont be able to finish my bunker in my lifetime, but I now have enough to drink while I wait the 10-15 years its going to take for all the 2003 & 2005 wines I've been cellaring to reach their peak.

The OC 12 I'll open tonight is dedicated to JoeBOURBON. Thanks for this one Joe!!!
    Joe

Guru

Props to BT for being honest and straightforward with the whole age-statement issue. If you don't / can't issue the same brand / expression at the same age, then back off. Don't try to be coy and make a subtle label change to suggest that a younger version is the same as the older (and no-longer available version).
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Props to BT for being honest and straightforward with the whole age-statement issue. If you don't / can't issue the same brand / expression at the same age, then back off. Don't try to be coy and make a subtle label change to suggest that a younger version is the same as the older (and no-longer available version).
    yeah, that is a very good way to look at it.

besides you can't bring back those dropped botles, so ya might as well accept it.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Like JBB - going from an 8yr statement to NAS?

(At least in my market)