Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: The end of Weller Centennial?

Chuck,

I'd be inclined to agree about finding the product 20 years from now if not for the fact that it seems we are all bunkering anything we hear is on the way out. For instance, I have 14 bottles of OC 12. And I'm not the only one. I haven't seen any in Dallas in some time (except dusty Louisville bottles). I think the quick dissemination of information on any discontinued bottlings coupled with the increased popularity of bunkering on sites like these (not too many references to it in threads from 3-4 years ago) means the bourbons that vanish from the market vanish from the shelves. In traditional dusty haunts, many of the bourbons we're talking about going away now were never on the shelves to begin with.

At any rate, I won't bunker much Weller Centennial, if any, but Weller Antique...that's a horse of a different color.

Guru

I believe this was confirmed some time ago... I've been bunkering every bottle I can find since this is my (largely for sentimental reasons than anything else) favorite BT Weller expression.

FWIW, our guide on a recent BT hard hat tour let it slip that OCPR was discontinued to free up stocks for the forthcoming "Cream of Kentucky".
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

I don't buy it that often because it sits on the shelf at almost $35 next to the $19.50 Weller Antique but if money were no object I'd probably buy this one more often. The first bottle I had of this was the Frankfort bottling which I brought to my friends birthday party and I was wowed by it, very fruity with lots of cherry. Even everyone else, none of whom consider themselves bourbon drinkers, loved it; one even asked me to pick one up for him, which I did. I seldom drink bourbon with anyone so I'm glad I chanced it with this one and wound up with some really good bourbon to share. Although subsequent bottles were not nearly as sweet I think this one still ranks pretty high, I've never been disappointed by it. Definitely sad to see this one go. I hope Chuck is incorrect about the Antique although I wouldn't be surprised if he was right, it's too good of a deal despite the fact that it looks like I pay more than most for this one.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Novice

I've really been enjoying this stuff as an almost-daily pour since I was introduced to it a few weeks ago. I was really sad to hear that it's being discontinued! At this price point, it's an incredible value.

Luckily, I've got 12 bottles of this bunkered so I can breath easy... for a while.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I wouldn't be too surprised if Antique goes too.
    No!!!!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
    Luckily, I've got 12 bottles of this bunkered so I can breath easy... for a while.
    Come Armageddon, I'm going to your house.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
    I've really been enjoying this stuff as an almost-daily pour since I was introduced to it a few weeks ago. I was really sad to hear that it's being discontinued! At this price point, it's an incredible value.

That makes 24 between us!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

I have two Louisville Centennials {thanks -- as is too often the case, from the commensurate value standpoint (all I've provided him with is some Hirsch 20, et al), Randy B.}, and 1.75L and 750ml gold-veined bottles of Weller Antique.
    Tomorrow may well be a dedicated -- to seeking out Wellers -- day of bourbon 'hunting' in Middle Tennessee.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 03-21-2008 at 20:40.
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    That makes 24 between us!

Now 36 and I am thinking we should make it 48

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Now 36 and I am thinking we should make it 48

My buddy Slowpoke has 12 himself so we're there . I really should grab more!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!