Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Taster

Hello

I've mostly tried gin and vodka in the past and need advice for a good first bottle of bourbon. I have a sweet tooth and like a little touch of sweetness. I've read many posts about Wild Turkey 101 and am going to buy this bottle unless someone can talk me out of it.

Re: Hello

Not sure where you are form Wine Guy, but if it's sweetness you like...to start off I would maybe go for some Weller 12 or weller 7/107.
    They are wheat recipe bourbons and probably will be easier for you to drink.

Cheers and welcome to StraightBourbon.com!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

If available to you, you might also/instead pick up an Elmer T. Lee and/or Four Roses (any bottling). Old Charter also is nicely sweet.
    Tim

Didn't think of Elmer T Lee. Nice one Tim!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them comming!

I just returned from the store with a 750ml bottle of Wild Turkey 101. I'll post my thoughts a little later when I try it for the first time. Any recommendations on how to drink it? Should I mix in a little water, pour it over an ice cube, or drink it straight? I've read threads that say a couple drops of water open up the flavor.

I was a little surprised by the prices. I looked for the Weller and it was well over $50. One day I may be willing to spend $50 on a bottle after I learn a little more. I plan on sipping 2 or 3 ounces on days I drink so maybe $50 isn't that bad because a 750ml bottle will last a while. The Wild Turkey 101 was $19.99.

Guru

Go find as much Weller 10 yr as you can. The wheater bourbons will be up you alley. You may even want to give Sweet Lucy a spin...

This years Pappy 23 yr is also a great pick.

Taster

I just opened a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and had my first surprise-- I expected a metal screw cap, but there was a cork! The smell is strong with a little sweetness. I added one teaspoon of water to about 2.5 ounces of WT101. The first sip the alcohol evaporated off my tongue, and left a warm feeling, not a strong burn like I was expecting with a 101 proof bourbon. As I take my second sniff, the smell is very strong. I am going to wait a couple minutes before my second sip.

Taster

A little time has passed, and the smell is not nearly as strong as when first poured. The smell is much nicer and softer. Lesson #1, I think WT101 benefits from sitting in the glass a couple minutes. I took my second sip and it was not as strong as the first. There is more flavor with the second sip. I can't put my finger on all the flavors as some of them are new to me but I am going to have fun figuring out what they are.

Disciple

Enjoy! WT101 is a good - and classic - place to start exploring the world of bourbon. I have tried many more expensive and highly rated bourbons and other whiskeys, and I still think WT101 holds up well as an everyday pour. I also think it's a particularly good mixer for hot toddies.

So, I guess you're into wine as well? Me too.

Welcome!
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur

Both Weller 12 and Elmer T Lee are the two that always come to mind when I think of sweet. $50 seems really high for Weller 12, maybe you were looking at William Larue Weller?
    Add your location to your profile, people who live in your general area will be better able to direct you to certain bottles.
    Todd