Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up The Authority Cited

While perusing the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's OP-ED area, I came across a reference to Chuck Cowdery's book, "Bourbon Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey", complete with a picture of the books cover. The Governor of Georgia, Sonny Perdue, wrote an opinion column in today's AJC, expressing his view against legalizing Sunday alcohol sales in Georgia. At the top of page A13, the paper has a blurb on how to get more information on the subject. They direct the reader to two ONLINE references, and one BOOK reference--Chuck's! I think that's pretty cool! Congratulations!

JOE

Virtuoso

Re: The Authority Cited

Very cool. What were the websites?

And why is the Governor of Georgia such a killjoy?

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    You've never spent any time in the Bible Belt, have you?

Seriously, don't get me started.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

I've lived in Louisiana, but I actually think you're required to buy alcohol on Sunday there, from a drive-thru if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Very cool. What were the websites?

Perdue is definitely a Bible Belt Guvnuh. His prayer for rain last November, on the steps of the State Capitol, during the drought, made national news. Also, supposedly on the list of potential McCain running mates. Despite his position on Sunday alcohol sales, he has been a pretty effective governor of the state.

View his column at:
    http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o...dueed0328.html

The online references were:

http://www.jointogether.org/news/res...l-related.html

and,

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/scrip...ticlekey=76742

JOE

Irreverent One

Back to the subject of the original post, I suppose I should buy Chuck's book. I'd put it on my Birthday list, but that's six months away...
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Perdue is definitely a Bible Belt Guvnuh. His prayer for rain last November, on the steps of the State Capitol, during the drought, made national news. Also, supposedly on the list of potential McCain running mates. Despite his position on Sunday alcohol sales, he has been a pretty effective governor of the state.

View his column at:
    http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o...dueed0328.html

The online references were:

www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/sunday-alcohol-related.html

and,

www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=76742

JOE
    Reading the Governor's column affirms just why I tend to call myself a Libertarian-Republican or an economic-conservative. It also makes me glad I'm a northerner, born and raised in the upper mid-west.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 03-28-2008 at 19:28.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    ...It also makes me glad I'm a northerner, born and raised in the upper mid-west.
    Well, I guess that makes me glad to be a Southerner, born and raised in the upper Midwest (SW Michigan). I've been in Tennessee -- where we don't sell wine in groceries or any non-beer liquor on Sundays (I even remember when the beer cases were chained and padlocked on Sundays!) -- now more than 26 years, and I haven't run out of wine or liquor yet. And, having worked in one of those wooly-regulated liquor stores for almost six years now, I can attest that the storeowner and staff, at least, are glad that we have ONE day off a week.
    Life isn't really all that bad here, despite the 14.3% of the week during which I can't buy a bottle of bourbon.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    While perusing the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's OP-ED area, I came across a reference to Chuck Cowdery's book, "Bourbon Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey", complete with a picture of the books cover. The Governor of Georgia, Sonny Perdue, wrote an opinion column in today's AJC, expressing his view against legalizing Sunday alcohol sales in Georgia. At the top of page A13, the paper has a blurb on how to get more information on the subject. They direct the reader to two ONLINE references, and one BOOK reference--Chuck's! I think that's pretty cool! Congratulations!

JOE
    Wow, thanks Joe. This is all news to me. Pretty cool indeed.

Chuck, I'll bring you a copy to the Sampler.

JOE