Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

New From Northern Illinois

Hello to one and all! Greetings from Rockford, Illinois. Glad to find a place where I can relate to others that have the same misguided interest in bourbon that I have. For years I drank the Canadian sweet whiskeys. Canadian Club and Crown Royal. Then about fifteen years ago, we (my wife, son and I) vacationed in Kentucky. Went to Mammoth Cave and did the Lincoln thing. We were looking at some brochures at the hotel we were staying at. There was one about the Maker's Mark distillery that caught our eye. We decided to to go. Needless to say that was the start of things for me. I still drank my Canadians but started an affair with Maker's Mark. Got acquainted with Mr. Beam too. Then last September my wife and I went to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. Well, that was all she wrote. We revisited Maker's Mark, and also went to Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill and Jim Beam. The people were the friendliest I'd been around in a long time. I learned a lot about bourbon. We went to a tasting,(my wife had to drive back to the motel) got to see the barrel races and toured all the distilleries tents and booths. Had such a good time we didn't want to come home. Now I'm pretty much just a bourbon drinker, although I still have a bottle of Crown Royal on hand, and a 1.75 liter of Jack Daniels for my bowling buddies. I've started trying different bourbons and have also started collecting different bottles and bourbon barware and collectables. Most of you can probably relate. I'm hooked. I'm looking forward to sharing my bourbon stories and experiences with you, and hope to relate to some of yours too. Thanks, Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: New From Northern Illinois

Welcome Joe... you will enjoy the site.... Send you bowling buddies my way... I have about 1.75 litters of Jack I need to get rid of

Guru

Welcome neighbor. its nice to see a fellow Illinoisan on SB.com. Actually there are several of us on the sight but most are from Chicago and its outlying suburbs.

Virtuoso

I was in Rockford last Saturday. I meant to do a little dusty bottle hunting, but I got sidetracked by a two hour lunch.