Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

new here, semi new to bourbon

I am from cincinnati, I've only been drinking bourbon for 2 hears now. I have toured woodford and buffalo trace. I am looking for some new brands to try, I prefer woodford to any I have had so far. Here is a list of what I have tried:
    Woodford
    Bulliet
    Knob Creek
    Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace
    Blantons
    Any suggestions are appreciated

Irreverent One

Re: new here, semi new to bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by veedubbin View Post
    I am from cincinnati, I've only been drinking bourbon for 2 hears now. I have toured woodford and buffalo trace. I am looking for some new brands to try, I prefer woodford to any I have had so far. Here is a list of what I have tried:
    Woodford
    Bulliet
    Knob Creek
    Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace
    Blantons
    Any suggestions are appreciated
    Greetings!

That's a pretty good sampling. I notice most of yor selections are in the $25-45 range.

I notice no "wheaters" (bourbons using wheat as the minority component, rather than rye). I'd suggest:

Weller 7/107 about $20
    Maker's Mark about $25
    Van Winkle 12yo Lot B about $40

Also check Sijan's list, posted in this forum.

Welcome to SB.com!
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Welcome to the group. Looks liek you got your feet wet... not for some more... .a toast to you sir and many happy pours

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Anyone who likes Woodford is a good candidate for its close relation, Old Forester, and also for Russell's Reserve Bourbon and Russell's Reserve Rye, which have a similar sensibility. You'd probably also like Ridgemont Reserve 1792. All of those are trying to hit more or less the same mark.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Greetings!

That's a pretty good sampling. I notice most of yor selections are in the $25-45 range.

I notice no "wheaters" (bourbons using wheat as the minority component, rather than rye). I'd suggest:

Weller 7/107 about $20
    Maker's Mark about $25
    Van Winkle 12yo Lot B about $40

Also check Sijan's list, posted in this forum.

Welcome to SB.com!
    I agree with Scott, these would be a good choice. Of them I'm partial to Maker's Mark, but each of these has something for everyone's taste. I would also recommend Weller Special Reserve. A little less than the Weller 107 but still a nice flavor. And if you like the rye recipe bourbons, and you're in the mood for a bold taste, but not over powering, with a nice finish I would also recommend Fighting Cock. I know it's a bit much for some people when talking about pouring it on the rocks, but I like it.

A few others I like that are in the less expensive catagory are Jim Beam Black, Evan Williams Green Label and Old Heaven Hill BIB.

Welcome to SB. Everyone here has made me feel welcome so I think you will enjoy the site. Cheers.
    Last edited by DoubleT; 03-28-2008 at 08:24.
    "You can't bluff an idiot." T. J. Cloutier

Connoisseur

Welcome.

You can't lose with Eagle Rare single barrel. Usually around $25. really a bargain for a high quality bourbon.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

veedubin,

Welcome aboard!!

I would suggest trying to get a hold of some Weller 12yo, and also trying Elijah Craig 12yo. Maybe also a straight Rye like Rittenhouse BIB just for a comparison. It can be had for less than $15, where the others I mentioned are $20-$25.

The other recommendations that have been made are also ones to put on a list, and don't worry the list will never end!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Welcome to the board! Be sure to try yourself some wheaters. For PV ratio hard to beat Old Weller Antique!