Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Hello from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I'm not sure how you would feel about mail ordering bottles, but a couple places in the UK and France, have quite nice selections of bottlings. Specifically The Whisky Exchange and La Maison du Whisky.

Churchill Downs has what are known as "meets" periods of time when there is racing.

I have seen the Whisky Exchange website but have yet to order anything from them. Maybe I will try to order a van winkle product from them if it is so noted on their website that it is among their inventory.

Churchill Downs. Thanks. I know that it is famous but I couldn't think of the name.

Geb

Taster

I came across a bottle of kentucky straight bourbon called Southern Charm today. It said it was bottled by the Southern Charm Distillery in Pennsylvania. I cannot reference the bottle currently for the town as I did not purchase it. It looked like an old bottle of sorts. When I asked the gentleman owner he said it had been in the store since his acquisition 10 years ago.

I thought it strange that Pennsylvania was the distillery location. Aren't all bourbon distilleries located in Kentucky?

Any help would be fondly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kindest,

Geb

Enthusiast

Hello Geb,welcome aboard,good to see another European joins in.Seems reading your posts the availability of bourbon in Germany is as bad as here.Sometimes you get lucky in getting a good bourbon,there are some nice adresses to get them and also the moneyrates are in our advantage nowadays so it is a matter of time the better stuff comes to Europe.I sincerly do hope so!
    Greetings,
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Disciple

Geb,

No, not all bourbon has to be made in Kentucky. There have been bourbons made in Pennsylvania and Virginia, and possibly also in Ohio and Indiana. Perhaps in a few other states as well. I'm sure others on here will have more of those historical details.

But you're right in thinking that most of it originates in Kentucky. And it does have to be from Kentucky in order to be labeled "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey."

I am not familiar with Southern Charm bourbon or the "Southern Charm" distillery, although most distilleries listed on bottles are DBAs anyhow. It may be from the now-closed Michter's Distillery.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mier View Post
    Hello Geb,welcome aboard,good to see another European joins in.Seems reading your posts the availability of bourbon in Germany is as bad as here.Sometimes you get lucky in getting a good bourbon,there are some nice adresses to get them and also the moneyrates are in our advantage nowadays so it is a matter of time the better stuff comes to Europe.I sincerly do hope so!
    Greetings,
    Eric.

Thank you for the kind greeting, Eric. It's good too for me to see another European. Where are you located in the Netherlands. And of course you drink a lot of Heiniken.

I do travel to the Netherlands and perhaps next time I could stop off at a local shop for a drink of bourbon with you.

Kindest,

Geb

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    Geb,

No, not all bourbon has to be made in Kentucky. There have been bourbons made in Pennsylvania and Virginia, and possibly also in Ohio and Indiana. Perhaps in a few other states as well. I'm sure others on here will have more of those historical details.

But you're right in thinking that most of it originates in Kentucky. And it does have to be from Kentucky in order to be labeled "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey."

I am not familiar with Southern Charm bourbon or the "Southern Charm" distillery, although most distilleries listed on bottles are DBAs anyhow. It may be from the now-closed Michter's Distillery.

My apologies. I may have only assumed the bottle said kentucky straight bourbon. I will check tomorrow.

Disciple

No need to apologize. I was just answering your question.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Enthusiast

Hey Geb,well i live 3 miles from the Heinekenbrewery next to Leiden(westcoast north of the Hague) and yes i drink it but only if there`s nothing else around (i always make sure there is) i prefer anything but Heineken.Whenever you are near let me know we`re having a couple of good bourbons.Where are you based in Germany?Do you knew that there is a German distillery that is busy making a bourbontype whiskey?I thought the name is Brennerei Sigel,perhaps you`ve heard from them?
    Greetings ,
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Huegeb View Post
    Thank you again everyone so very much for replying.

I was curious to know when the bourbon festival is. Perhaps, I may someday make a trip. Maybe for the festival or for the Kentucky Derby. Are there always races at the track or is it just once a year that the horses run there?

Also, are there any other members here from Europe, specifically western or central Europe? If so, I would love very much to hear from any of you out here. Maybe on my travels we could meet for a drink.

Here is what currently resides in my bar:
    Four Roses Single Barrel (empty, good)
    Four Roses Barrel Strength 40th Anniversary (empty but exceptional)
    Weller Special Reserve (just purchased)
    Wild Turkey Tradition (150-200 mls left but excellent)
    Wild Turkey Tribute (nearly gone but excellent)
    Wild Turkey 12 year (very good)
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (good)
    Old Grand Dad original (okay)
    Bulleit (not good)
    Old Fitzgerald 80 proofer (okay)
    Vintage 17 (excellent)
    Vintage Rye 23 (I believe it's the 23. I will check)

I would love to try Four Roses Small Batch which I haven't found yet and Wild Turkey American Spirit which I heard was very similar to Tribute. Any of the Van Winkles would be great and I'd pay a king's ransom but cannot find at the present. Read here about the Antique Collection but haven't seen one bottle of any.

Lovely chatting with everyone.

Kindest,

Geb
    Gebhard,

Nice to se a German member here on the forum. I know you have a lot of interest in bourbon in your country and your own forums. I do actually bay most of my bourbon from German online stores, auctions and E-bay. Sorry that you donít travel in the northern Europe.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    Gebhard,

Nice to se a German member here on the forum. I know you have a lot of interest in bourbon in your country and your own forums. I do actually bay most of my bourbon from German online stores, auctions and E-bay. Sorry that you donít travel in the northern Europe.

Leif

Hello Leif,

Thank you for you reply. Nice to hear from a European. Sweden is very beautiful but not been in a long time. The last visit I was not so much a bourboner but then mainly a beer drinker so I did not frequent stores with bourbon on my mind. Is Sweden that bad on there bourbon brands? If that is the case, you may know that if you can not find what you are looking for I may.

Kindest,

Geb