Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Hello from Germany

Hello all,

Nice to see so many people sharing a unique passion like bourbon. It's been a while since I lifted a glass of beer thanks to good ole' whiskey.
    Change, in this case, was most certainly warranted since beer became such a monotonous, boring chore, especially those following the ancient purity laws. Katerina, my wife, was not happy to see me switch to the "hard stuff" but I told her no matter what you're drinking, moderation is the key.

All this time I thought it was only me that loved bourbon so much and wanted to read as much as I could about this all-natural product. Took me a while to wander up on this site, but when I did, I was surprised to see that there are people like me.

Much to the chagrin of my wife, I found both bourbon and this forum and now she must take a back seat the aforementioned. Nothing going to tear me away from this site, I say. Running around from store to store looking for some good bourbon has almost become an obsession but I think it's well worth it! Time keeps on slippin', didn't someone say that once? I'd better keep on doing what I love before times slips away from me too quickly. Nothing like having a passion for something. It's like having a hobby, it fills the day. Slowly I will try, though, to wean myself away from constant hunting of bourbon, but not altogether!

Is it me, or do others have this same problem that I do? Something tells me, based on what I've read here so far, I am not alone.

By the way, sorry for the rambling on, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Ask me any question you like and I will gladly answer. Can't turn down any fellow bourbon lovers, that's for sure. Keep on keepin' on, as an american once said!!!!!

Happy to be here. And, can't wait to talk bourbon. Have a great day, all. Always!!!!

Gebhard Hueber

Re: Hello from Germany

Hard to tell what's available to you there, but my primary proviso would be to not discount lower-priced bourbon.
    I believe there are many of us here that would proclaim that 'bad' bourbon is almost a contradiction in terms -- even the lowest-priced, standard bourbon (think Jim Beam 4yo, white-label; or Ten High, or Ancient Age -- it's not 'bad', just inferior to many other things available). Hard for us to say what's available.
    A lot of lower-priced bourbons are quite acceptable -- especially for mixing -- but premium bourbons are instructive.
    Tim

Guru

Welcome.. you should have a good selection of WTs aroudn your area. Check some of the local web stores. I picked up a bottle of WT 1855 not to far from you... ebay also has some good bourbon in Europe for resonable price.

again welcome and I to have made the switch from bear/wine to bourbon. I was about 85/15 now it is 95/5 in favor of bourbon.

Trippah and Admin

Welcome to the site! I've found this to be a very friendly and helpful group of people for certain.

Of the brands and expressions that you have read about here, which have you tried and which have you seen on the shelves in Germany? Have you formed opinions on them?

Irreverent One

Willkommen!

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    ...my primary proviso would be to not discount lower-priced bourbon.
    Given the current exchange rate, they're probably all "lower-priced".

It would be interesting to hear what's available in Germany.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Welcome! What brands of bourbon do you see in stores there? What do you have in your collection?

Personally, I'm a big fan of German beer as well - especially dunkels and doppelbocks. Whiskey and beer aren't mutually exclusive!
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    Welcome! What brands of bourbon do you see in stores there? What do you have in your collection?

Personally, I'm a big fan of German beer as well - especially dunkels and doppelbocks. Whiskey and beer aren't mutually exclusive!

Hello Sijan,

I have many bourbons in my collection currently. Many have been sent to me from friends throughout, others acquired by me locally and through travels. In my location we have been able to get Old Forrester, Old Grand Dad, Old Fitzgerald, Jim Beam, Bulleit, Four Roses, Weller and Wild Turkey products. There are others but can't think of it currently. Some of these I haven't seen in a while, though.

The selection is not too terrible. That has a bit to do with relying on neighboring countries. Fortunately, I do a fair bit of traveling throughout Central and Western Europe so I'm able to find many different bottles of bourbon.

Thank you for your inquiry, Sijan.

And thank you to everyone who has taken time to introduce themselves.

Kindest,

Geb

Enthusiast

Welcome aboard! You will enjoy it here!

Taster

Thank you again everyone so very much for replying.

I was curious to know when the bourbon festival is. Perhaps, I may someday make a trip. Maybe for the festival or for the Kentucky Derby. Are there always races at the track or is it just once a year that the horses run there?

Also, are there any other members here from Europe, specifically western or central Europe? If so, I would love very much to hear from any of you out here. Maybe on my travels we could meet for a drink.

Here is what currently resides in my bar:
    Four Roses Single Barrel (empty, good)
    Four Roses Barrel Strength 40th Anniversary (empty but exceptional)
    Weller Special Reserve (just purchased)
    Wild Turkey Tradition (150-200 mls left but excellent)
    Wild Turkey Tribute (nearly gone but excellent)
    Wild Turkey 12 year (very good)
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (good)
    Old Grand Dad original (okay)
    Bulleit (not good)
    Old Fitzgerald 80 proofer (okay)
    Vintage 17 (excellent)
    Vintage Rye 23 (I believe it's the 23. I will check)

I would love to try Four Roses Small Batch which I haven't found yet and Wild Turkey American Spirit which I heard was very similar to Tribute. Any of the Van Winkles would be great and I'd pay a king's ransom but cannot find at the present. Read here about the Antique Collection but haven't seen one bottle of any.

Lovely chatting with everyone.

Kindest,

Geb

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm not sure how you would feel about mail ordering bottles, but a couple places in the UK and France, have quite nice selections of bottlings. Specifically The Whisky Exchange and La Maison du Whisky.

Churchill Downs has what are known as "meets" periods of time when there is racing.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile