Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting Cock

Enthusiast

Re: Fighting Cock

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    a Fighting Cock thread, and 2 pages of it at that.

It is not worth that much, but I do have to admit that maybe some people may think that this boubon is unique, I have yet to, as they say, walk a mile in there shoes.
    I managed to walk a mile in the shoes for a buck-oh-nine!

I picked up a mini bottle today. I like it. Granted, I prefer EWB at 11 bucks or EC12 at 20 bucks, but FC103 has some charming elements that I haven't found elsewhere.

First, the proof is astounding for a mid-shelf bourbon. I also don't know of any other bourbons bottled at 103. A random numer! And a prime number! Seriously, though...I'm guessing HH decided on this proof to compete with WT101. For reference, the following prime numbers are unclaimed whiskey proofs: 83, 89, 97, 109, and 113.
    Plus, adjectives + birds seem to make people thirsty. It works for WT and Famous Grouse. I propose a new 15-20 dollar bourbon: Salacious Pheasant. Or Corpulant Goose. Or Ill-Tempered Eagle. Or Feisty Quail. I've got a million of these.

Second, this is a sweet bourbon, but lacks the thick viscosity of other "sweeters." This is a good reason to try it, too.

Third, I'm picking up the most prominent honeydew melon flavor I've ever experienced (outside melon flavored vodka) from a spirit. This interesting flavor profile might be fleeting or capricious from bottle to bottle, but I'm impressed.

Fourth, I like the lack of snob appeal. The Kickin' Chicken ain't trying to impress nobody. And the plastic bottle isn't making any friends. According to the HH website:
    "Fighting Cock appeals to both male Gen X-ers and serious Bourbon lovers alike."
    Hey! Creepy! It's like they have my dossier!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

since i haven't TRIED it and it's not available HERE, i am dying to give it a shot. preferably, a good pour. i like to be surprised.

it is available in my neighboring states of MD, DE or NJ (or even NY)????

is it feisty and rye-ish in the Old Grand Dad 114 sense?
    HUP!

Advanced Taster

I've had it, but it's been awhile. I have another bottle of it now, but haven't opened it yet as I am trying other bourbons. I personally liked it alot, but it's NOT a drink for the faint of heart. I learned quickly that the name and logo alone were very intimidating to most of my drinking companions. They weren't willing to try it.

It has a dark reddish amber color very similar to WT101, and I have every reason to suspect that it was created as a direct competitor. If I am not mistaken, this is a bourbon with a fairly stout rye content. The bird on the bottle tells the story. This stuff has an attitude. If you enjoy bourbon with an attitude, then it's well worth a try for the price.
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Connoisseur

I bought a 375 ml bottle a while back because it was glass with a clear label that showed the bourbon nicely. The Angry Chicken was just too interesting to pass up. The price was $9.00. I put it on the shelf as bourbon art and let er sit for a while. Later, in a weak moment, I cracked it open to give it a try. It was sweet but it had plenty of flavor and kick to it. I was entertained by the label and the bourbon and the price was not bad for 51.5 ABV. So, it wasn't a bad deal at all for me.

To be honest though, the little woman tried it and turned a sommersault inside her bloomers. After she caught her breath, she was concerned she had permanently scared her inward self. It's not for everyone.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

In Bourbon, Straight (sorry, I got two copies for my birthday) the aforementioned Chuck implies that it is almost a parody of WT 101. Anybody who has actually had the stuff have an opinion on that?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

I tried this for the first time the other day. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10 (much higher than I expected. I found it didn't have the flavor you would expect from 103 proof / 6 years. But with a splash of water it was very drinkable.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

For some reason all of the bigger Hy-Vee grocery stores are now stocking Fighting Cock. It use to be hard to find around here.

Its just too bad they don't do the same with some of the really sought after mid-shelf stuff.

Connoisseur

I wonder how it would fare if it had a more dignified name. Fighting Cock sounds a bit untamed and lowbrow. And the picture on the label reinforces that image. On the other hand, bourbons named after individuals, or even Wild Turkey, hint at something a bit more noble and traditional.

I do like the notion of selecting proofs based on prime numbers. Perhaps a 13 year old 103 proof bourbon could be considered really prime whiskey...
    Craig

Connoisseur

still, does anyone know if it can be had in NJ, DE or MD?

is there a website where one can see where anything is and isn't available?
    HUP!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    still, does anyone know if it can be had in NJ, DE or MD?

is there a website where one can see where anything is and isn't available?
    None of those states are control states, so there isn't going to be a "Master List" of what you can and can't buy like in PA.

However a quick websearch shows FC in Maryland, at least
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile