Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Cock

Enthusiast

Re: Fighting Cock

Read "robust" which seems about right. Worked on a bottle a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed a large pour over ice. Seems to mellow the kick a bit and brings out some the subtle flavors. Good solid bourbon floavor - sweet corn mash, syrupy, some spice and pepper. Solid moderate finish. Makes a pretty good Manhattan. Plan to buy another bottle (Using CallMeOx rating system - #1 )

Connoisseur

i admit, i am having that same reaction as i did when i first had OGDBIB...in that case, yes, the bottle got sweeter, creamier, something...those 'subtleties' came out to play!

i do wonder what its mashbill is. and i am sure it should VAT pretty nicely.

not an ice dropper, but i will have to try that tonight.
    HUP!

Guru

Found and bought my first bottle of Fighting Cock yesterday for $16.99. Haven't tasted it yet but am looking forward to trying it tonight. It's a current bottle with a cheapo sticker-type label. My brother seems to recall that it tastes no better (or worse) than Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe which can be found locally for $5 less but I couldn't pass it up. Will report back with tasting notes.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    i admit, i am having that same reaction as i did when i first had OGDBIB...in that case, yes, the bottle got sweeter, creamier, something...those 'subtleties' came out to play!

i do wonder what its mashbill is. and i am sure it should VAT pretty nicely.

not an ice dropper, but i will have to try that tonight.
    I think the mash bill is the standard HH ryed bourbon bill: 77% corn, 13% rye, and 10% barley. I prefer this bourbon over ice as a tasty pre-dinner drink.

Taster

One of my favorite everyday pours. Full body, spicy, and has heat. Great mid-shelf bourbon in my opinion. Not refined but definitely bourbon. The antithesis of Basil Hayden...
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Isoflex View Post
    Not refined but definitely bourbon. The antithesis of Basil Hayden...
    How true. How true. I never could get my head around Basil Hayden's lifeless presentation, but that's just me. Others will no doubt disagree but I've always found BH boring as hell. I can't wait to sit out in the garage with a few friends on a brisk autumnal Sunday afternoon and watch some football with a few beers and a bottle of Fighting Cock. You need something fairly robust for those occasions and FC should fit the bill.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Isoflex View Post
    The antithesis of Basil Hayden...
    I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    How true. How true. I never could get my head around Basil Hayden's lifeless presentation, but that's just me. Others will no doubt disagree but I've always found BH boring as hell.
    Yes, here to as well.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I'm very fond of JTS Brown BIB. I think it's terrific.
    The above is from an old entry but it makes me curious....

JTS Brown is made by HH. Jim Murray says that what we know as the Wild Turkey distillery was formerly the JTS Brown distillery, at least until Austin, Nichols Co decided to make it the sole supplier for Wild Turkey and purchased it. When did the brand name and the distillery name part company?

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    How true. How true. I never could get my head around Basil Hayden's lifeless presentation, but that's just me. Others will no doubt disagree but I've always found BH boring as hell. I can't wait to sit out in the garage with a few friends on a brisk autumnal Sunday afternoon and watch some football with a few beers and a bottle of Fighting Cock. You need something fairly robust for those occasions and FC should fit the bill.
    I agree Hank. Maybe not lifeless, but a little dry, spiceyness was all I got, and not much else. Haven't tried FC yet. Might have to give it a whirl sometime. The closest liquor store to me does stock it. Might have to get a bottle one of these days. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Haven't tried FC yet. Might have to give it a whirl sometime. The closest liquor store to me does stock it. Might have to get a bottle one of these days. Joe
    I was actually quite surprised to find it. It seems I've been in a few hundred liquor stores in the last year or so on my dusty hunts and the FC never appeared on a shelf until a few days ago. Wild turkeys, fighting cocks, etc. My wife says it must all appeal to my inner bird brain!