Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Which "Lighter Side of Islay"

I have a few mainland Scotches and I enjoy the great flavors (usually fruity). But I also enjoy the smokey peaty, earthy, iodine-y, briny, grassy flavors in the Laphraoig 10 & Lagavulin 16. I had heard of Bruchladdich and Bunnahabhain being the "lighter side of Islay," incorporating some fruity notes of the mainland whiskies and some sea side notes of Islay. Well, that really didn't sound good to me so I was never interested. My brother picked up Bruichladdich Rocks on a whim and he didn't care for it. I tried it. Yup, berried flavors and some briney sea notes....and I liked it . In fact, I offered him a trade for a whiskey I had but didn't care for. Now, I'm intrigued with "the lighter side of Islay" and would like to try a different expression. Here's what I'm considering (what's available in my area):

Bruichladdich 15 Year, 2nd edition. It's got some good reviews, but a recent post here about it makes me wonder.

Bruichladdich 14 Year Links Turnberry: Good reviews. Any experience?

Bunnahabhain 12 Year: Again, decent ratings. Any experience?

Disciple

Re: Which "Lighter Side of Islay"

I like the Bunnahabhain 12 and Bruichladdich 10 (now discontinued).

I also think of the Bowmore 12 as being a pretty light and enjoyable Islay malt.

(I'm also the one who wasn't too fond of the 'laddie 15SE.)

I think the Malt Maniacs Malt Matrix is a great resource for aggregated/consensus ratings of single malts: http://www.whiskyfun.com/MaltManiacsMatrix.pdf
    Last edited by Sijan; 03-26-2008 at 14:04.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Can you throw a few tasting notes of the Bunnahabhain 12 at me?

Connoisseur

Here is my review of it back in 04/04
    Illuminati in training

Enthusiast

I couldn't give you a set of tasting notes, but I would recommend trying the
    Bunnahabhain. I purchased a bottle of this maybe a month or so ago when it was on sale. Yes, it's a little lighter but quite enjoyable in it's own right. You can't go wrong with the Bowmore 12 either for the price. The bowmore legend is another good pour. I'm sure that it's quite young but at around $20 it's worth a try.

Take the tasting notes as a very broad guideline if you would. Experiment alot and really get to know what's out there. Especially if you have an "out" for the bottles you don't really care for.

Chris

Disciple

At your request...poured a dram just now.

Bunnahabhain 12

Nose: Sweet sherry notes. Light floral/heather & honey notes. Orange marmalade? Slightly salty. Can just barely smell something malty and nutty and maybe something a little musty/peaty lurking underneath there...these heavier notes develop a bit more as it gets more air, although the peat is still pretty subdued.

Palate: Nutty. Malt flavors. Light peat. Sherry influence apparent, but less so than on the nose. Has some body to it. Quite smooth.

Finish: Evolves quite a bit. Turns slightly bitter for a while with a little peaty rubber finally taking hold (but gently). Some bitter orange notes. Dessert spices? Lingers for 30+ seconds. Quite drying by the end.

Overall: Quite the enjoyable dram, fairly complex, very drinkable. Not at all like a typical heavily peated Islay malt.
    Last edited by Sijan; 03-26-2008 at 17:49.
    -Dan

Enthusiast

My bottle's long gone, but I very much enjoyed the 'Laddie 10 and highly recommend it. Another single malt of a similar character - mostly Highland-style fruity but with a hint of sea air - is Old Pulteney. It's also modestly priced considering the quality.

Disciple

I've been considering picking up some of the Old Pulteney. I like the malts with a marine influence.
    -Dan

Connoisseur

I did a review of that here but you know it is a northern highland malt right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    I've been considering picking up some of the Old Pulteney. I like the malts with a marine influence.
    Illuminati in training

Disciple

Yup. Right on the coast, though. I like Clynelish and Highland Park, so I figure I'll like it.
    -Dan