Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    The last of my 2007 B-Day bourbon... next will be teh 2004... maybe 2 bottles killed in one night.. whoo-hoo
    I liked that b-day bourbon (2007) was very nice. Never tried earlier versions though.

Tonight I started with aberlour a'bunadh, Talisker 18, and now finished (literally) with Lagavulin 16. Whisk(e)y is good!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    We had a family get together this evening and I enjoyed a PVW15 and a Redbreast 12 year Irish.
    As a member of said family, I got to indulge as well, although I made some different choices. Old Forester BIB from the early 80s and something I promised I wouldn't talk about. It was good!

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Trippah and Admin

The last of a bottle of Blanton's that I got as a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Kentucky Spirit...a fine, fine bourbon....has it all...nose, taste, body, color etc. I always enjoy its sweet notes.

Yesterday was big food day.

It started with a "Truckers Breakfast" (which we needed after the bourbon we consumed the previous night.)
    Consisted of bacon, fried eggs, hash browns, chips, savory mince, spinach, mushrooms, toast, sausages, steak, baked beans and tomato. Also came with a coffee and a Juice.

What do you have for dinner when you've had a big breakfast at lunchtime?
    A 50cm Garlic bread pizza and a 1 meter pizza. I don't think I need to eat for a week!

We washed it down with some Makers Mark, went to a rugby game then had some Rare Breed and Weller Antique.

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

WOW....what a food day! Do you need a little Pepcid following those meals?

Enthusiast

WT rye. If WT RR Rye is supposed to be a step up from this, I have to try it. This stuff is great.

Advanced Taster

Wild Turkey Rye 101 over ice. Nice.

Exclamation Let's get Timmy -- he'll mix anything! (I blame Gary Gillman!)

I was fortunate to be able to open a pair of Very Old Fitzgerald BIBs at the recent Sampler and, of course, whenever you open two of anything, one is preferred to nominal, at least, exclusion of the other. Thus, one distilled in 1959 and bottled in 1967 expended itself, while I brought home a half-bottle of the "lesser" one, from 1954/1962.
    I poured a couple of fingers in a 16-oz. snifter a while ago -- so, maybe 2-1/2 to 3 ounces -- and just sat nosing it awhile. It retained that awesome Stitzel-Weller nose of deep caramel/maple, but also the signature rye-ishness in some red apple-candy/red cherry (I've long called S-W the 'rye of wheaters'). There appeared absolutely nothing wrong with this bottling, however superior its younger sibling may have been three weeks ago. Take a sip: the mildest touch of 'old wood' menthol, some significant heat, then the burnt-fudge tinged with cherry one expects from old, aged S-W. As much as anything, it reminds me of some of the Pappy 23s (I wish I had a sample here to which to compare), even in color. That's quite remarkable when you remember this is an 8yo!
    Anyway, I couldn't help but wander back in my mind to 1962 or so, when some fairly successful bourbonista then plucked a like bottle from a shelf, perhaps on his way home on payday, for maybe as much as $8-$9! How would that big spender have tasted it? Maybe neat, but let's face it, purism is an anomoly, except perhaps among us. He might have made a julep with it, or another mixed drink. Or, as likely, poured some Coca-Cola over the top of it.
    Well (pace Bernadette), I haven't gotten around to remember to buy some mint leaves (I don't have a yard) yet, so I'm pretty much reduced to trying it with some generic diet cola. Which I proceed to do. Man, to think I've been using Weller Special Reserve with cola all this time! This is really good!
    Anyway, thought some of you might be amused (and others horrified) to know that my $25 (or so) bourbon-and-cola is probably worth the money, if only for the experience alone.
    Cheers!
    Tim

Templeton Rye and Ginger Ale this afternoon. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"