Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

Pulled out a bottle that was at the back of the closet....Wathens Single Barrel. Better than I remember....love the finish.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

Tonight I will be having Pappy 15,and Ridgemont 1792...Two fine bourbons.

Virtuoso

Well I know I'm a couple days late but Saturday evening, We had the honor and privilege of being invited out to Michigan's King Bourbon Hounds house (OscarV) for the first BBQ of the season. The weather was outstanding a the company and food topped that by a mile!
    Oscar and his wife put on one hell of a spread with grilled leg of lamb, rice and a green bean dish that was also to die for (Hey Doc? What did you call that dish?)

We started the evening out with Julio's Weller Centennial, ORVW 10/107 and 10/90, Four Roses SB Party Source bottling and some 2006 WTKS.

Then Dinner! After dinner we had some of Jeremy's Baklava (top notch) paired with Cliff's Pappy 23 yr. old...what a pairing that was. Once again we have a standout in the crowd!
    We had this discussion, every time we get together we have one stand out bottle and the Pappy 23 stood leaps and bounds above everything Saturday night.
    Great thanks to the host and hostess for a wonderful evening and putting up with a couple crabby children at the end. Oscar thank Lynn for playing with Sarah while chasing your cat around. Final thanks to our wives for putting up with us drunks at times and for driving us home!

Cheers!
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

OF B-day '07 and then I plan on having my vatted combo of EC18-WTRB-JBB which is really starting to grow on me!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Trippah and Admin

To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the end of Prohibition, I'm hoisting a generous pour of a 2007 bottling of WTKS since I don't have any 3.2 beer around.
    Last edited by callmeox; 04-07-2008 at 19:08.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

2007 OFBB. It's been open for awhile, and it just keeps getting better. I had a similar experience with the '06, except that it was just plain undrinkable at first. After several months the '06 turned into a pretty decent whiskey, whereas the '07 was great from the first sip.

Again, like the BBs, this one is unique in character - it's not like any other bourbon out there, I believe.

It's a little less dry than when I first opened it, but tobacco and molasses are still dominant flavors. I've mentioned elsewhere I was surprised by this because typically bourbons with that flavor profile are pretty robust, whereas I would characterize the '07 BB as medium-bodied. The mouthfeel is a little oily. I also pick up banana and now a flavor that shows up as it heads into the finish: Bit-O-Honey candy. Great finish - long and velvetty.

Great stuff. I have another bottle bunkered but I will definitely was to snag another one sometime.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

18 yr Beam Distillers Cognac finish... very nice... thank you to the provider

Guru

Ok, so I started a little early today as it's only 2 p.m.

1980 Cabin Still 86 proof which is SW bourbon. I've neglected this for a couple of months and now that I'm drinking some...wonder why. It's a really terrific bourbon. It has that SW nose and I'm picking up dried fruit and maybe a hint of chocolate. Really delicious.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    2007 OFBB. It's been open for awhile, and it just keeps getting better.
    Great stuff. I have another bottle bunkered but I will definitely was to snag another one sometime.
    I agree the OFBB '07 is fantastic and quickly becoming a favorite. I have to get more before it's gone!

Tonight I drink RVW Lot B and will end with PVW15... man I love these 2!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Just finished off a nice pour of PVW 15. This stuff is just tooooo good.