Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

On a high proof night, OGD 114 followed by WLW BTAC '07.

I'm going to sleep well.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Old Charter 7yr 80 from 1993. For a hot evening this light but flavorful bourbon hits the spot.

Jeff Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Out of interest...how much does this sell for in the US?
    I am amazed at how cheap Australian wines are there......here there is a 29% tax on it then GST of 10% is added.
    Not sure if it's available in the US, but if you see Grant Burge Tawny Port it is worth grabbing.

Scott
    Scott, would you believe the Hardy's 'Whiskers Blake' I have on the shelf cost me all of c. $12.50 several years ago (if memory serves, it was 1999, in Louisville while en route to Detroit for the final series at Tiger Stadium). For whatever reason, I haven't opened it, but will move it to the front of the shelf.
    While I don't have any Burge Port, I DO have the Burge Family 'Wilsford Old Barossa Muscat' (500ml), which is marked at $54 -- but I grabbed for $20 when the only retailer in my area carrying it decided he needed shelf space for new items.
    Tim

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Tim will soon have a bottle of Draytons Verdelho 'White Port' to add to his collection Direct from the Hunter Valley in Australia (We've just got to sort out the logistics of shipping to his area)

Virtuoso

Started with an old bottle of Pappy 15, I think I picked it up in 2004. Could really get some SW notes out of it tonight. Now a small pour of some OGD BIB with a Sierra Mist Chaser !

AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Out of interest...how much does this sell for in the US?
    Not sure if it's available in the US, but if you see Grant Burge Tawny Port it is worth grabbing.

Scott
    I just paid $14.95 for another bottle. Great price!

I love Burge wines. Holy Trinity is one of my favs. I'll keep an eye out for the port. Thanks!

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A pot-pourri. Being on holiday, I am allowing myself the luxury both of choice and "more than one". Some excellent U.S. micro beer. Some oaky California Chard (fixed with a dash of water), and a sip of a fruity blend called, mysteriously (to me), Conundrum. Oddly perhaps, the best drink I had today was a draft Pilsener Urquel served in impeccable condition thousands of miles from its home turf. How can a pasteurized beer sent far away from its brewing site display subtle notes of mellow yeast, spicy Saaz hops and juicy malt, all interleaved to perfection? Yet Urquel does this.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-19-2008 at 22:27.

Advanced Taster

as seen elsewhere, it's been a Rye day/night around here for my friend and I (Baker's was our pleasure the day before):

Last edited by DowntownD; 05-19-2008 at 23:01.
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Irreverent One

Last night was a Gillman-recommended vatting of two ryes, BMH 18:Ritt BIB, 1:3. Quite good.

Speaking of whom, he writes:

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    a sip of a fruity blend called, mysteriously (to me), Conundrum.
    Caymus came up with Conundrum back in the mid nineties, a blend of multiple grape types (at least six). Consistently good (always gets 88 or 89 from publications like The Wine Advocate) though a bit pricey ($22-27).

It's spawned a number of imitators. Here in OR we have Sokol Blosser's "Evolution", which used to cost a little over $10 but is now closer to $20. Usually pretty good but the last release was a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Oddly perhaps, the best drink I had today was a draft Pilsener Urquel served in impeccable condition thousands of miles from its home turf. How can a pasteurized beer sent far away from its brewing site display subtle notes of mellow yeast, spicy Saaz hops and juicy malt, all interleaved to perfection? Yet Urquel does this.

Gary
    My favorite bar back in FL was one that had PU on tap. It was always good. I'm guessing they ship the kegs over on reefer ships.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

The ice is cracked and the Old Grand-Dad is 114 proof.
    I think I'll have a few.
    ovh