Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 59 of 74 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

The second to the last pour of 1792 over one ice cube. I really like this bourbon. I can taste the oak and it has a fair bite.
    Barron.

Crabgrass can grow on bowling balls in airless rooms, and there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons.
    Dave Barry

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    How's the other side of the pond? Good ale there. And they have all those bourbons available at a bar? Damn, why can't we have bars with a bourbon selection like that over here?

I agree about the GTS '04: I've had all but the Kentucky-only releases and the '04 is my fav as well.
    Lots of good cask ales. Pro ably had 8 different so far. Will try a couple more tonight.

There are some bourbon bars in the states as good and better, but I think most are in Kentucky. There is 3 in DC and one in Seattle... Bring your wallet though $$$

Connoisseur

Last night I indulged in one of my favorite whiskeys: Willett 22 yr barrel strength rye. I added just a tiny splash of spring water to open it up. Surprisingly, what showed up was the aroma of popcorn, and then again on the palate. It had all the myriad other aromas and flavors too, but that was a new one to me.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

WT 8yr, UK version. Not worth buying twice

Virtuoso

Enjoying some Old Fitz BIB that I recently picked up. The bottle says it was produced at DSP-1 and bottled at DSP-31. This would suggest that this was a 1996 or earlier bottling???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Enjoying some Old Fitz BIB that I recently picked up. The bottle says it was produced at DSP-1 and bottled at DSP-31. This would suggest that this was a 1996 or earlier bottling???
    No, it could be current. DSP-1 is Bernheim, HH's current distillery. They continue to bottle at DSP-31, the Bardstown facility, which lost only its distillery (and several warehouses) in the November 1996 fire.
    Thus, the markings you describe are today's.
    Tim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    No, it could be current. DSP-1 is Bernheim, HH's current distillery. They continue to bottle at DSP-31, the Bardstown facility, which lost only its distillery (and several warehouses) in the November 1996 fire.
    Thus, the markings you describe are today's.
    Thanks for the info... this is quite interesting. Can bourbon be bottled at a site that is not designated as a DSP? To expand on this a bit what parts of the bourbon producing process have to be done within a DSP? TIA
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Thanks for the info... this is quite interesting. Can bourbon be bottled at a site that is not designated as a DSP? To expand on this a bit what parts of the bourbon producing process have to be done within a DSP? TIA
    Well, I'll leave it to Chuck or Timothy or somebody better versed in the legalities to answer your specific question. But, in my experience, once a DSP, always a DSP. In other words, the loss of HH's actual distilling plant didn't change the Bardstown facility's designation.
    For many years, till its sale, Wild Turkey was bottled in Lawrenceburg, IN. I'm sure it had a DSP #, though it didn't distill -- at least for domestic consumption -- during that time. Another example is George Dickel, here in Tennessee. During periods, it was bottled in either Canada or Connecticut (and other places), while originating in Tullahoma, TN, where the distillery is (I think) DSP-TN-2 (not using the computer which has that info stored currently).
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A Pilsener Urquel which by my interpretation of the codes was canned about 6 weeks ago. It is malty sweet with the characteristic Urquel Saaz hop taste (I think Jackson once said the nose of fresh Urquel was like inhaling pure ozone and I can't improve on that, maybe ozone with some vaporised absinthe in it). I had one on draft at the Parasol at Wynn in Las Vegas recently which was as good or better than this one. It is amazing that such first class Czech pilsener can be brought to different points in North America so fast. One of the best beers in the world and THE best lager beer in my experience, but it has to be consumed super-fresh. The bottle never does it for me, I think no matter how new the light does affect it a bit. Not so from a large or smaller sealed can.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The beer actually chased a small tot of a mingling I did of JD Single Barrels. I used two bottlings from February 1, 2008 (from Ricks 15 and 19), one from fall of '07 and two from earlier in '07. Its texture and mouthfeel are soft, the taste full, refined and very balanced with rich cherry and wood notes. This is a world away from regular JD although of course it has some of the same traits. Still, consumed from one barrel and mingled or no as you like, one can see the reasons for Jack's early reputation: these things don't come from thin air.

I am sure many could not spot this in a blind tasting of "bourbons"; yet I don't need that imprimatur to validate it either.

Gary