Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast

Re: What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

Visiting Elmer tonight. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interesting finds there, Tim. Crown can be odd that way. Some modern samples are quite good though. Probably the 60's with its preoccupation or looming preoccupation with lightness and that great find of the era, smoothness, was the high water mark of lack of character in Canadian whisky. Samples from earlier decades have more oomph IMO and those since are pretty good especially brand extensions such as Limited Edition and Special Reserve. The VO of the time though might be quite worthy, partly due to being younger (6 yrs I believe), therefore the straight whisky element might be more noticeable than in Crown.

Gary

I really have a hard time -- too hard, frankly; it's NOT brain surgery -- figuring out how to drink my whiskey.
    Just because I hadn't done so before, I just went and re-arranged my open bottles chronologically by distillation date (as best as can be determined). I figure my method will change next week, but...
    So, now I'm pouring a 1:1 vatting of my oldest whiskey open -- 1942 distilled W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7yo BIB -- with some current Weller SR/90 proof. The older bottling was just too much affected by the menthol of (you pick) old, first-growth oak or long years in the bottle. The modern whiskey tames it, without overwhelming it. It's a good marriage.
    Did anyone ever mention that Stitzel-Weller made some good bourbon? No? Well, don't know how we missed it, but this old stuff adds a backbone of substance we seldom see in anything outside of barrel-proof modern bottlings. The flavors are in-your-face, and you can like 'em or not. Here, aside from the menthol, there's cherry, burnt caramel, brown sugar, red taffy -- and, mind you, this is a half-and-halfer! Where do I find that today? Jim Beam Black? Pullleeeaasseee!
    How much you figure this 4/5-quart bottle cost back in 1949/1950 when it was first on a shelf? Buck-and-a-half, two dollars? In 1950, that would have been a coupla hours' pay. Like, say, Lot B today.
    That's part of my attraction to bourbon: the historiocity, the direct connection to folks who came before me. Somebody -- lots of somebodys -- drank bottles of this same whiskey in 1950! Who were they, why did they chose it? How did they drink it, what did they think of it?
    Hmmm?...I guess I'm enjoying this, or someone from a previous era who has invaded my tastebuds is...
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

They didn't know what they had. Or, they did, but it wasn't sanctioned/acknowledged by the larger culture. It was felt necessary to seek validation in Cognac, scotch, etc. There were a very few who did know the value of these great domestic drinks (e.g. H.L. Mencken, Bernard De Voto) but these were voices in the wilderness.

Through voices such as yours, Tim, and that of Scratchline regarding his amazing 1917-era Old Crow, we can appreciate what our ancestors had; and unlike most of our forbears we are not embarrassed to vaunt the best from then - or now.

Gary

Enthusiast

EC 12 on the rocks (not hoarding yet!).
    Dave & Tina
    (Thank you, Jim!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    ...Bernard De Voto...
    You scare me sometimes, Gary. I suspect few on this board besides you and I know de Voto, who finished his Journals of Lewis & Clark not long before his death. I read Ambrose's Undaunted Courage while laid up three months after having my colon removed, and subsequently purchased de Voto's book on the "history's greatest camping trip"'s record. Today's gas prices make the echo voyage less likely, but who knows? Still a dream...
    Anyway, de Voto said:
    "Let us candidly admit that there are shameful blemishes on the American past, of which the worst by far is rum. Nevertheless, we have improved man's lot and enriched his civilization with rye, bourbon and the Martini cocktail. In all history has any other nation done so much?"
    Tim

Virtuoso

Started with some Weller Sr whiskey sours and now enjoying a nice neat pour of Pappy 15! Like I always say...Pappy = Happy!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Been on a bourbon diet of late....just not in the mood. Tonight though I made up for some pours.....'05 WLW, '80 OGD 114 (yum) and Weller Cent 13 year (Julio's). Enjoyed the last with a fine Cohiba.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

old fitz S&W
    OGD 114 tax stamp
    OGD 114 new
    4RSB
    05 Weller
    Cabin Still late 70s
    Rebel Yell 90 1985
    Old Taylor 6 80 prrof
    HirschGold Foil