Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2008

Many thanks to Spun_Cookie, who through his excellent math skills convinced me that it would be much cheaper to buy a bottle of PVW23
    and split the cost with two friends, than to buy a shot at the place down the street. Per Spun's suggestion, I got the "B" version, Bottle # B4462.

It was $199 for the bottle at Party Mart on Brownsboro Rd. Each of us got 250ml of PVW23 for a little over $66 apiece...that's less than $13.50 per 1.5oz pour, rather than $36 a pour at MM Tavern or $47 at The Brown.

My boss, Don, one of those bourbon fans, insisted that I decant their portions in his office rather than the kitchen, so that Pappy smell would linger there! (In fact, Don spent the rest of the day breathing deeply through his nose like the folks in those Febreze commercials do)

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
    Many thanks to Spun_Cookie, who through his excellent math skills convinced me that it would be much cheaper to buy a bottle of PVW23
    and split the cost with two friends, than to buy a shot at the place down the street. Per Spun's suggestion, I got the "B" version, Bottle # B4462.

It was $199 for the bottle at Party Mart on Brownsboro Rd. Each of us got 250ml of PVW23 for a little over $66 apiece...that's less than $13.50 per 1.5oz pour, rather than $36 a pour at MM Tavern or $47 at The Brown.

My boss, Don, one of those bourbon fans, insisted that I decant their portions in his office rather than the kitchen, so that Pappy smell would linger there! (In fact, Don spent the rest of the day breathing deeply through his nose like the folks in those Febreze commercials do)

-Joe

Good show sir.... let me know how much your enjoy it (yes, that is presumptuous )

Connoisseur

In the process of looking for ORVW 10/107 (doesn't seem to be any in Louisville right now, but Toddy's in Bardstown has it) I found VOB 100 BIB...at Our Place Liquors on Poplar Level Rd. Previously, the only VOB I had seen was the 86, so when I saw the 100 I picked one up.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
    In the process of looking for ORVW 10/107 (doesn't seem to be any in Louisville right now, but Toddy's in Bardstown has it) I found VOB 100 BIB...at Our Place Liquors on Poplar Level Rd. Previously, the only VOB I had seen was the 86, so when I saw the 100 I picked one up.

-Joe
    Joe,

The VOB BIB is a really great pour, and for the price, it's a terrific value. Let us know your thoughts when you try it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

I'm on travel in La Jolla, CA and hit up a premium grocery store w/a nice selection of bourbons.

I haven't been able to find any of the GTS in the Seattle area (home) but they had 3 2008's on the shelf at $59.99. I snagged two and left one for the next guy. I also picked up a Willet Single Barrel Estate Reserve for $49.99.

I also bought some bubble wrap for the plane ride home since I cannot carry these home. Wish me luck in getting them back safely!

Apprentice

I promised myself I wouldn't buy more Bourbon until I finished a few bottles that I had opened...... DOH!

Todays damage;
    1 GTS 137
    1 ER 17
    2 PVW 13 rye
    2 SAZ 18

Just gotta sneak em by the GF
    "loud clutches save lives"

Quote Originally Posted by bromike666 View Post
    I promised myself I wouldn't buy more Bourbon until I finished a few bottles that I had opened...... DOH!

Todays damage;
    1 GTS 137

Just gotta sneak em by the GF
    Are you kidding me?!?! Am I reading that right, you found a 137.6 GTS?!? If so, good for you!!

Did they have more than one?... Yeah right, I know.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by felthove View Post
    I'm on travel in La Jolla, CA and hit up a premium grocery store w/a nice selection of bourbons.

I haven't been able to find any of the GTS in the Seattle area (home) but they had 3 2008's on the shelf at $59.99. I snagged two and left one for the next guy. I also picked up a Willet Single Barrel Estate Reserve for $49.99.

I also bought some bubble wrap for the plane ride home since I cannot carry these home. Wish me luck in getting them back safely!
    Good luck, I guess worst case would be a terrific smelling suitcase.
    I really hope you made it.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by felthove View Post

I live in San Diego...which store are you talking about? The Bevmo? Not exactly a grocery store.... I have enough GTS '08 but if you found a joint I'm not familiar with....
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Smile Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2008

I'm on vacation in Florida. While out and about being a tourist, we stopped by a couple of liquor stores. Picked up a bottle of ORVW 10 90 proof at one place, and a bottle of WRFG at the other. Hope I can get them home without any problems. You know how those airline baggage handlers can be. I almost can't wait. I finally get to try a Van Winkle product. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"