Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2008

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit "pewter top" from 2001.
    Oscar, you should try to find one of the original issue pewter tops, with the original label and writing in grey. I believe by 2001 they had changed to the turkey looking ahead instead of at you label and changed the writing on the bottle to a color that showed up better than the grey did. Excuse my rambling just trying to say I think the very first stuff done in 95?/96/97 is some of the best Turkey, of not bourbon in general, I've tasted.

I found this info some time ago that I put in my bourbon notes document, it may help some appreciate and shed some light on what we mean when we say pewter top and the original bottling. I cannot recall who originated it, so I can't give credit other than to say it wasn't me:

"Kentucky Spirit Variations:
    1- The first is what I call the 'original' KS bottle. It had a pewter stopper, dark and light grey neckband with silver writing, and a silver and black label in the center of the bottle similar to today's just different colored. Also, it had very dark grey writing under the sticker saying Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon 750ml. This writing is very hard to read due to it being such a dark grey.

2- The second variation I have seen is the same exact bottle as mentioned above except the grey writing on the bottom was replaced with the light tan colored writing we are familiar with today. I would guess that they made a bottle change so the writing could be more easily read but they kept using up their old stock of labels, or the label change took a bit longer than it did to implement the new bottles.

3- The third bottle used the bottles see know today with the light colored writing on the bottom but had label changes such as a brown neckband with light colored writing and a center label that is more easily viewed in brown and white colors.

4- Finally, the fourth bottle is the exact same as above, but with a wooden stopper replacing the beautiful pewter stoppers."
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster

Fascinating stuff, Virus. I recall seeing a pewter top bottle not long ago in a store not far from me. Going to have to head over there later today and see if it's still there. I didn't realize it signified a (possibly) older bottling. Thanks for the info.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Excuse my rambling
    Hey Christian, glad you chimed in and please ramble on.
    I've got 5 WTKS bunkered and I have been thru 4.
    One of these had the light wood top, I got it last Autumn, bottled in '07 and I was let down with it to put it mildly, the other 3 I liked a lot.
    They were all dark wood top.
    Last Winter I had a few pours of a WTKS pewter top from the mid '90's (over at Tony's) the one you described as "1".
    My reaction was that not only was it the best Turkey I've had but probably the best bourbon I've ever had.
    Since then I have picked up every dark wood top and pewter top that I see.
    I have 2 pewter tops, one with the grey neck band and the turkey looking at you (4-13-00) and the other looking to the left (3-21-01).
    The other 3 are interesting because one is so much darker than any WTKS I have ever seen.
    Dark wood top (8-22-03), and it looks almost like maple syrup. I think that is going to be a real treat.

Uh oh, it looks like I am rambling now,.............
    ovh

Virtuoso

Oscar, thank you for the kind words and I would agree that 1996 WTKS was the best so far! I have a 1995 open currently and it is not as good as the previous! I have several Grey labels left and will open them as one gets emptied!

Next time your over remind me to let you try the one open on the bar! I found some ild 500ml tax stamp Old Forester Bonded and some BHC I.W.Harper 15/80. I did not need either so I left them! The Bonded Forester had tax stamp 500ml and 750 ml. If anyone needs any of these let me know!

Cheers!
    AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Novice

Stopped at favorite liquor store on the way home tonight, was happy to see Rittenhose Rye BIB on the shelf. Had been out of stock for a while.
    Bought 3 at 17.99. Before they ran out of stock in may, the price was 10.99!
    Also Bought 1 Weller Antique to add to bunkered bottllings. 18.99, up from 16.99 last month

Enthusiast

Russell Reserve Rye on sale @ $19, plus a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey 12 yr old
    Van Winkle 13 Years Old, Family Reserve Rye
    Blanton's Single Barrel

Connoisseur

Was able to score a few bottles of WT 12, if anyone is interested in a sale or trade feel free to send me a PM.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Virtuoso

Picked up a few Pappy 15's to bunker up with....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Picked up a few Pappy 15's to bunker up with....
    Pappy's a popular guy today, I just picked up my first Pappy 15 at Keystone Liquors in Bardstown for $48.29...I was pleased that I found it since it is scarce in Louisville these days.

I'm looking forward to seeing you and the brothers while on vacation next week!

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor