Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New From KY

Novice

Talking New From KY

Hello All! My name is Mike and I am from Louisville, KY. I Found the site after a few Googles...and it looks like I've found home. Bourbon has ran through my blood since I was a kid. I can remember going to my Grandpa's house and getting his "special" couch medicine which consisted of WT and honey. I have experienced very few bourbons that I did not like it some way or another, just depends on the mood. I have a hard time remembering what I've had....so now since I'm on here now, I will start to keep a log along with getting some recommendations from the gallary! My workhouse, as of right now, is EW.

Since they are in my backyard, I've had a chance to visit many of the dist. tours and have even been able to encourage the wife to be adventureous. She now impresses the guys on nights out ordering a stiff Makers instead of a fruffy fruit drink.

Hope to contribute some...and learn a lot!!

Enthusiast

Re: New From KY

Welcome. You have found the right place to learn. The guys and gals here will teach you all you want to know.

Guru

Welcome Mike... I envy your location. Here in AZ I get what y'all are kind enough to let leave the state.

Irreverent One

Welcome Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine Mike View Post
    I can remember going to my Grandpa's house and getting his "special" couch medicine which consisted of WT and honey.
    You can get that premixed now.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Novice

Hey I'm new here from KY also, LaGrange actually, I like what I see so far. I have bee using the Whisky Mag forums lately but they seem to be more interested in Scotch. I'll try to post some pics of my bar, its a great taste to do some tasting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

You have a beautiful bar there.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Novice

Thanks I built it myself, I have several sealed vintage bottles the oldest is 1917 Wood Pollard, several mid fifties Canadian whiskey's and a few old Kentucky bourbons. I just love to buy the old stuff, I was told by Bill Samuels, of Makers Mark fame, that bourbon stops "maturing" after it is removed from the barrel, but there is just something that amazes me about a bottle that has been around for fifty or sixty years and nobody has gotten around to opening it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Indeed, Woody. That is a very nice bar. Top notch.

JOE

Quote Originally Posted by woodyxjs View Post
    ...but there is just something that amazes me about a bottle that has been around for fifty or sixty years and nobody has gotten around to opening it.
    Funny -- for me, there's just something that amazes me about tasting a bottle that's been around for fifity or sixty years, and nobody has gotten around to opening it.
    Great bar, Woody, and impressive workmanship.
    Tim

Novice

Well if your ever in the neighborhood let me know, I'm not bashful about breaking the seal on one of those old girls.