Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

"Hi" from the Sooner State- and a coupla questions..

First, off, I love this board. I've lurked for a while and learned more than a little bit 'bout bourbon.

Second, I've found what I believe to be Bourbon Nirvana - - Weller 12 y.o. My problem is that my 1.75 is almost out and it is nowhere to be found around.

A liquor store guru or two told me that there wasn't going to be any Weller 12 for another month or two.

As I really like sweeter bourbons, I decided that a temporary solution was at hand. After doing search on here to find some of the sweeter bourbons, I settled on another Weller, Old Weller Antique 107.

Well, it's good, but it's not that silky-smooth, very sweet 12 y.o.

What to do?

Does anyone know of a source of Weller 12 y.o. in Oklahoma?

Or a source of Elmer T. Lee or Rock Hill Farms (had some of that a few years ago, and I have looked far and wide for it ever since- really great stuff) in Oklahoma?

Help!

Taster

Re: "Hi" from the Sooner State- and a coupla questions..

Greetings from the crossroads of America,

I don't know about the northeast part of the state, but if it is to be had in the OKC area it will be at either Panchos (NW Expressway & Meridian) or Byron's (NE 23rd & Broadway...ironically enough down the street from the State Capital, which should explain a lot).

A far as a bourbon to fill the void, as I have said before I am partial to Maker's Mark. I find it slightly sweet but still comes across the way whiskey should, imho.

Hope that helps and welcome aboard.
    "You can't bluff an idiot." T. J. Cloutier

Randy,

Welcome to StraightBourbon.com!

I, like you, am a huge fan of Weller 12.
    I don't know that the laws are like in your state, but if you can ship to Oklahoma I would suggest going to www.binnys.com
    and ordering some from there. The stock they have was hand selected and it is actually 14yo, and truly sublime!

Cheers!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

Welcoem Ranry. Weller makes good stuff. Try to get a Centennial to tide you over or even VOFP.

Thanks and Update

I thank you fellow afficianados for your information and support.

I managed to find two 1.75's of it in Bixby today, after a full day of looking.

The dude at the liquor store said that there wasn't going to be any for a while since the "distributor" that sells it to "wholesalers" had gone and dropped it from its inventory, and that no other "distributors" had "petitioned/filed" with the State liquor commission to bring it in.

Until and unless someone does, it ain't no more in these here parts.

He also said that the only Weller that was still going to be available was the 7 y.o.

Another dude at another liquor store (I went to quite a few today) said that he'd heard that Weller was having trouble getting bottles or that Weller had shut down temporarily to clean its bottling operation.

I'd sure like to know what the real deal is here, but for now I have plenty of Weller 12 y.o. (enough to last through Turkey Season, anyway!).

The wife is going to Kentucky (of all places!) in June on business. Maybe I'll go with her for a pilgrammage and pick up some Elmer T. Lee, some Rock Hill Farms and more Weller 12....

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Thanks and Update

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post

The wife is going to Kentucky (of all places!) in June on business. Maybe I'll go with her for a pilgrammage and pick up some Elmer T. Lee, some Rock Hill Farms and more Weller 12....
    Not sure when your wifes trip is, but June 7th is the Frankfort Sampler. It's a good event to attend.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile