Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    93

    I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    This guy seems to know a lot about Johnny Walker.

    http://www.epinions.com/content_252716945028

    "while Johnnie Walker Green Label is an excellent pure malt blend of whiskies that offers a rich, satisfying, delicious nose and flavour, it is still less than the sum of its parts – that is to say, if given the choice and price were not an issue, I would regularly select at least two of Green Label's constituent elements (definitely Talisker and Cragganmore, perhaps even Caol Ila – even at younger bottlings) over Green Label itself."


    This review made me think that maybe it would be smarter to buy one of the scotch's that is put into JW.

    He lists 4 of the 15 scotch's put in JW: Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore, and Caol Ila.

    I have 2 questions. Does anyone know the other scotch's that go into JW? Secondly, are any of these single malts a good buy?

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    374

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    I thought Clynelish,Cardhu and Glen Ord are in it as well.
    Eric.
    Netherlands

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Near York, PA
    Posts
    897

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    Besides the fact the four scotches listed are printed on the packaging I don't think he provides any insight into Green Label. It is his opinion and many differ, here is my review back in 2003 when it was still called "Pure Malt". As time has gone on I have become more fond of this and can easily recommend it to any Scotch drinker.

    Does that mean I don't enjoy the components of Green Label individually? No, but a good blend is an art unto itself.
    Illuminati in training

  4. #4
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
    Posts
    172

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    Johnny Walker Green Label is a very, very good vatted malt, period!! It is well worth the price of admission. To me, its complexity goes very deep and has a little of everything to offer. Do yourself a favor and atleast try a dram of this stuff, you won't be dissapointed!

  5. #5
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    IMHO, JW Black is a pretty good blended Scotch. However, it is mostly grain (with very little flavor) whiskey. JW Green contains no grain whiskey, which I place as equivalent to straight bourbon. I have been meaning to buy a bottle of this to try. I have seen this around Houston for about $52.

  6. #6
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
    Posts
    172

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    IMHO, JW Black is a pretty good blended Scotch. However, it is mostly grain (with very little flavor) whiskey. JW Green contains no grain whiskey, which I place as equivalent to straight bourbon. I have been meaning to buy a bottle of this to try. I have seen this around Houston for about $52.

    Well, yes, black label is a blend with grain in it, and green label does not have any grain. That said, I disagree with your assessment that black label has very little flavor. In my opinion, for a blend, it has a lot of flavor! Now with that said, I would take green over black any day!

  7. #7
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Well, yes, black label is a blend with grain in it, and green label does not have any grain. That said, I disagree with your assessment that black label has very little flavor. In my opinion, for a blend, it has a lot of flavor! Now with that said, I would take green over black any day!

    grain (with very little flavor) whiskey - I was referring just the grain element, not the finished product

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    870

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    grain (with very little flavor) whiskey - I was referring just the grain element, not the finished product
    I know this is what is said at every scotch tasting or discussion of blended vs single malt (or vatted) and is true for most product, however there are some grains that have very good flavor.

    Specifically, Compass Box's Hedonism is a vatting of 2 aged grains and is a nice light tasting scotch.

    Tom

  9. #9
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,750

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    IMHO, JW Black is a pretty good blended Scotch. However, it is mostly grain (with very little flavor) whiskey. JW Green contains no grain whiskey, which I place as equivalent to straight bourbon. I have been meaning to buy a bottle of this to try. I have seen this around Houston for about $52.
    I've been meaning to try this as well, I just keep hesitating when I look at the price and think "For a blend?". I need to burn "all malt" into my mind...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    772

    Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    IMHO, JW Black is a pretty good blended Scotch. However, it is mostly grain (with very little flavor) whiskey.
    I read that Black Label contains somewhere around 75% malt whisky, unlike most blends which contain around 25% malt.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Antique Collection - What to buy/not to buy?
    By JRomain in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 21:24
  2. If you can only buy one bottle of the BTAC...
    By JDutton in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 13:48
  3. Johnny Walker breaks tradition
    By bourbonmed in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 00:25
  4. Johnny Walker Black Label
    By jeff in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 03:03
  5. Johnny Walker Red Buying Tip
    By greenbob in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 23:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top