Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Taster

Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I'd be interested to see how many people could pick out a good blend like Johnnie Black in a blind lineup with vatted and single malts...I'm not sure that I could...
    I have not tried scotch so I don't know how much varience there is from distillery to distillery. But with the three bourbons I have (WT101, MM, and BT) I could identify them based on smell alone.

Connoisseur

I just got some in January for $45/liter at duty free Moscow.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WineGuy View Post
    I have not tried scotch so I don't know how much varience there is from distillery to distillery. But with the three bourbons I have (WT101, MM, and BT) I could identify them based on smell alone.
    Not that I have reason to doubt you, but have you tried this in a blind lineup? I think the results of such tests often surprise or even embarrass many people. I recall one test where many respondents couldn't differentiate between Scotch and cognac...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Not that I have reason to doubt you, but have you tried this in a blind lineup? I think the results of such tests often surprise or even embarrass many people. I recall one test where many respondents couldn't differentiate between Scotch and cognac...
    Not with a blended scotch, but with a single malt, I'd take your challenge. There are also two members of this forum who are better than me.

Back to the original topic of the thread: JW Green is a vatted malt, not a blend. drrich statement about the soloist or the orchestra is a good analogy. If you can, go to a bar and try a dram of it along side of a dram of Talisker. For $50 +/- you can't go too far wrong. If you buy it , I'd suggest that you get a couple of the single malts as well and try it. I agree with AVB when he said that the flavor disappears. Personally, I like a long finish on my whisky.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    grain (with very little flavor) whiskey - I was referring just the grain element, not the finished product
    I know this is what is said at every scotch tasting or discussion of blended vs single malt (or vatted) and is true for most product, however there are some grains that have very good flavor.

Specifically, Compass Box's Hedonism is a vatting of 2 aged grains and is a nice light tasting scotch.

Tom