Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

Wkipedia lists these as being owned by Diageo

Blair Athol, Caol Ila, Cardhu, Knockando, Glen Elgin, Clynelish, Cragganmore, Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie, Glen Ord, Lagavulin, Oban, Royal Lochnagar, Talisker, Mannochmore, Mortlach and Glenlossie (Blue is what Diageo lists as its Classic Malts)

Diageo's corporate report says they own 29 whisky disilleries in Scotland and says they announced in 2007 their intent to build another malt distillery in the north of Scotland...I can't find a full list of properties
    Last edited by barturtle; 03-30-2008 at 14:37.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Okay add in:

Benrinnes
    Brora
    Dailuaine
    Dufftown
    Glendullan
    Linkwood
    Loch Dhu
    Pittyviach
    Rosebank

That takes us to 26, I'd guess they have three grain.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    IMHO, JW Black is a pretty good blended Scotch. However, it is mostly grain (with very little flavor) whiskey.
    I read that Black Label contains somewhere around 75% malt whisky, unlike most blends which contain around 25% malt.

Taster

So many choices and so little time! Maybe I'll give green a try but there are 10 bottles ahead of it on my to buy list. And there is always something new I discover that wants to get on the list.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I read that Black Label contains somewhere around 75% malt whisky, unlike most blends which contain around 25% malt.
    I heard JW Black was 60-65% grain whisky, but can not verify that with a written source.

Taster

I find JG Green VERy good stuff. I do not have notes for it, but found it both smooth and complex, a good deal of depth, and fairly full of charicter. It is one that is often very cheap in duty free (35 bucks for a liter the last time I was in South America). A sored it an 80, which means I would reccomend it.

As far as a vatted verses a single malt? It depends if you want to listen to the soloist or the orchestra....

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    I find JG Green VERy good stuff. I do not have notes for it, but found it both smooth and complex, a good deal of depth, and fairly full of charicter. It is one that is often very cheap in duty free (35 bucks for a liter the last time I was in South America). A sored it an 80, which means I would reccomend it.
    If I could get a liter for $35 I would but it TODAY. It is $50+ for a 750ml a couple days ago when I was at Binnys.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I heard JW Black was 60-65% grain whisky, but can not verify that with a written source.

That is more like it. I would say about 35 to 40 percent malt.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    here is my review back in 2003 when it was still called "Pure Malt".
    Thanks for the link. I found many good reviews you posted.

Connoisseur

I'd be interested to see how many people could pick out a good blend like Johnnie Black in a blind lineup with vatted and single malts...I'm not sure that I could...