Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

This guy seems to know a lot about Johnny Walker.

http://www.epinions.com/content_252716945028

"while Johnnie Walker Green Label is an excellent pure malt blend of whiskies that offers a rich, satisfying, delicious nose and flavour, it is still less than the sum of its parts – that is to say, if given the choice and price were not an issue, I would regularly select at least two of Green Label's constituent elements (definitely Talisker and Cragganmore, perhaps even Caol Ila – even at younger bottlings) over Green Label itself."

This review made me think that maybe it would be smarter to buy one of the scotch's that is put into JW.

He lists 4 of the 15 scotch's put in JW: Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore, and Caol Ila.

I have 2 questions. Does anyone know the other scotch's that go into JW? Secondly, are any of these single malts a good buy?

Enthusiast

Re: I was going to buy a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, but then I read this...

I thought Clynelish,Cardhu and Glen Ord are in it as well.
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Connoisseur

Besides the fact the four scotches listed are printed on the packaging I don't think he provides any insight into Green Label. It is his opinion and many differ, here is my review back in 2003 when it was still called "Pure Malt". As time has gone on I have become more fond of this and can easily recommend it to any Scotch drinker.

Does that mean I don't enjoy the components of Green Label individually? No, but a good blend is an art unto itself.
    Illuminati in training

Advanced Taster

Johnny Walker Green Label is a very, very good vatted malt, period!! It is well worth the price of admission. To me, its complexity goes very deep and has a little of everything to offer. Do yourself a favor and atleast try a dram of this stuff, you won't be dissapointed!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

IMHO, JW Black is a pretty good blended Scotch. However, it is mostly grain (with very little flavor) whiskey. JW Green contains no grain whiskey, which I place as equivalent to straight bourbon. I have been meaning to buy a bottle of this to try. I have seen this around Houston for about $52.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    IMHO, JW Black is a pretty good blended Scotch. However, it is mostly grain (with very little flavor) whiskey. JW Green contains no grain whiskey, which I place as equivalent to straight bourbon. I have been meaning to buy a bottle of this to try. I have seen this around Houston for about $52.

Well, yes, black label is a blend with grain in it, and green label does not have any grain. That said, I disagree with your assessment that black label has very little flavor. In my opinion, for a blend, it has a lot of flavor! Now with that said, I would take green over black any day!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I've been meaning to try this as well, I just keep hesitating when I look at the price and think "For a blend?". I need to burn "all malt" into my mind...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mier View Post
    I thought Clynelish,Cardhu and Glen Ord are in it as well.
    Eric.
    If you research the distilleries owned by Diageo, you could come up with a few more. I definitely know Linkwood is in there.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Glenkinchie and Dalwhinnie in there as well...

Aside from those 4 malts, the rest are blended in mainly for body and texture, and in much smaller quantities...

JW Green, like all blends and vatted malts, focuses on consistency, making it a good "all around" pour. It's what I turn to when I can't make up my mind.

But, having said that, I do have to agree with the reviewer that, while JW Green is definitely an excellent dram, I would probably buy the Single Malt components, to give myself a little more variety.

The problem is, single-malt bottlings of Linkwood are almost IMPOSSIBLE to find, and I understand it is a fine, delicate dram, along the lines of Glenmorangie.
    Last edited by boss302; 03-30-2008 at 11:38.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

It really depends on if you are going to approach it with an open mind or not. It is a very good dram, definitely worth picking up IMHO. Very much worth picking up.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Well, yes, black label is a blend with grain in it, and green label does not have any grain. That said, I disagree with your assessment that black label has very little flavor. In my opinion, for a blend, it has a lot of flavor! Now with that said, I would take green over black any day!

grain (with very little flavor) whiskey - I was referring just the grain element, not the finished product