Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

What is the better buy?

I just returned from Sam's Club and noticed the following whiskeys on sale.

Makers Mark 750ml $21
    Knob Creek 9yo 750ml $23

And these non-bourbon whiskys

Jameson Irish $20 (I think it said 12 yo, not 100% sure)
    Johnny Walker Black $25

I'd like to build up my bar. So far all I have is WT101. What is the best buy from the list above?

Re: What is the better buy?

Personally, I'd get ALL of them, except the JWB.
    If forced to choose just one, I'd flip a coin between the MM and Knob Creek. I'm partial to wheaters, but the Knob Creek is 100 proof vs. MM's 90, for just $2 difference.
    Tim

Enthusiast

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Knob Creek. As TN noted, it's 100 proof and given the choice, I'd usually prefer the higher proof.

Both are readily available most anywhere, so maybe buy one this month and another next month.
    ____
    Chris

Connoisseur

I can't comment on the Irish Whiskey or the Scotch but between the two bourbons I'd go with the MM, especially since you already have a bottle of WT (rye recipe bourbon).
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

I would recommend the Johnny Walker Black for the following reasons:

1) IMHO, it is probably the best QPR (bang for buck) scotch you can find. Sure it's a blend, but I think it holds its own against the cheaper single malts. It's my typical go to drink when dining out especially if the bourbon selection is poor.

2) You already have an solid bourbon in your bar, so if you're looking to expand a scotch would be a good way to go.

Tom

Trippah and Admin

I would buy the Knob Creek since it is priced at the same point that Beam Black goes for in my area. KC is around 31.00 in Ahia vs 21.00 for JBB.

At my local pricing the Beam Black is a better deal but, ceteris paribus, KC is a great deal with another year in the oak and 100 proof (vs 86)

(I've learned that there are better wheaters than MM at that price point, too.)

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I would buy the Knob Creek since it is priced at the same point that Beam Black goes for in my area. KC is around 31.00 in Ahia vs 21.00 for JBB.

At my local pricing the Beam Black is a better deal but, ceteris paribus, KC is a great deal with another year in the oak and 100 proof (vs 86)

(I've learned that there are better wheaters than MM at that price point, too.)
    I saw Beam Black on sale for $16 at Jewel/Osco. If they have stores in your area it might be the same price. It will eventually end up in my bar just because of all the people who like Beam and it's supposed to be much better than White, but that is after I build up my collection a little more.
    Last edited by WineGuy; 03-24-2008 at 21:53.

Trippah and Admin

You're fortunate to live in Chicago where pricing is competitive and selection is tremendous. I'm from Ohio where the state pricing structure keeps the selection down and the prices middle of the road and much higher.

If you want to find good deals in your area, check out the Binny's beverage Depot website on Tuesdays when their weekly sale ad comes out. Check out Sam's Wine for great deals as well.

Compared to Ohio, Chicagoans have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the pricing and selection of spirits.

I like both. MM is a little smoother/sweeter. KC has more bite to it but is still fairly smooth. I'm from Rockford. If you have a Woodman's grocery store anywhere near you, check it out. The prices in their liquor department are pretty good. Maker's for $16.99, Knob Creek for $19.99 or $21.99 (if I remember correctly) and Woodford Reserve for $25.99. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WineGuy View Post
    I saw Beam Black on sale for $16 at Jewel/Osco. If they have stores in your area it might be the same price. It will eventually end up in my bar just because of all the people who like Beam and it's supposed to be much better than White, but that is after I build up my collection a little more.
    WineGuy, I'd run and get that Beam Black at $16. An excellent price, for an excellent bourbon. I know it's not on your original list, but I don't think you can go wrong with this JBB at $16. Or, as you get as sick as the rest of us, you'll end up getting them all...at once!

Cheers!

JOE