Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: What's the rules on shipping Bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    maybe this is a good thread to ask this in: from the webstores you folks have ordered bourbon from, which actually give you a tracking number as part of their communication?
    I ordered from BevMo (probably a california only), and I got a tracking number.

They shipped UPS, and I wasn't home when they delivered, so they left a note on my door. I called them up with the information on the note and had it delivered to my office.

I could have also drove down to UPS and picked it up there (which they are open saturday). USPS will deliver saturday, and it's usually really convenient to pick up if necessary.

I'm sure you can make similar arrangements with FedEx as well, but I have never had anything delivered by them which they couldn't leave on the porch.

Taster

Thanks, thesh, I don't think BevMo will ship to VT. I have thought about having a package shipped to the office I work at, but I'm sort of a lowly pawn here and it could be awkward if the delivery guy happened to say anything too loud about what was in the box I'm signing for. I know people here have ordered from Binny's and Shopper's Vineyard (these two will ship to VT), any input? Thanks.

Guru

I've ordered many times from online retailers and have had those boxes delivered to me at work. If you're worried about the delivery person spilling the beans on what you ordered, I don't think that would happen as it's none of their business...besides, they are on a short timeline to get all deliveries done that business day and they don't have time to stand around and shoot the breeze. Why would your office mates care that you received a delivery anyway? You're not doing anything illegal or unethical.

As for purchasing from places like Binny's or Shoppervineyard, both places have good websites and decent stock and to date I've had no problems ordering nor receiving shipments from them. If you have trouble finding the more elusive bottles, Ebay or online retail is really the only vehicle some of us have for increasing our bunkers.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Why would your office mates care that you received a delivery anyway? You're not doing anything illegal or unethical.
    Obviously I'm not doing anything illegal and my 2 other office mates wouldn't care, either. My boss, however, happens to subscribe to a hardcore religion that forbids alcohol and we're all within 20 feet of each other and I'll leave it at that. I know the FedEx isn't going to want to talk to me. I think after discussing this though, I might give it a shot. There's so much not available to me locally that I can't resist the online shelves anymore...

edit: actually... I can have it delivered to my wife's workplace, she's a potter and works with a bunch of english women. They've been known to even have a G&T on the job, ha!
    Last edited by dcb; 05-02-2008 at 06:51.

Taster

One thing local fed ex does for me if I am not home--- is hang a door tag sticker on my door for my signature to leave the goods the next delivery day. Should work in most cases expect those explictly demanding a 21 and over signer with ID.

Disciple

In the case of ordering from Binnys, I have actually specified a ship date so that I can be home to accept the package. They usually ship Fedex and I've even been able to get in touch with the driver and meet up with him to get a missed package. Binnys is very helpful this way!

Thomas

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    I'd have to arrange to be off of work to receive it. If I knew I'd have a tracking # in advance, at least I could see what the delivery date would be.

binny's? shopper's vineyard? others?
    thanks.
    -dave

Hey Dave why take the day off? Shoppersvineyard.com shipped right to my work and I signed for it there! Doesn't work on Saturday deliveries but you can work around that. Fed Ex held it at there location and I picked it up on my lunch hour! You just have to call and let them know you'll pick it up.

The delivery guy has no idea what's in the box so buck up little camper! Step up to Rook (this pawn shit's for the birds) or maybe even Knight! If others are getting packages you can too! Don't wait Git er done!

Hope this helped!
    Tony
    Last edited by ACDetroit; 05-02-2008 at 18:14.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"