Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Insuring your bourbon stash??

Some of you on this forum have a sizable stash of spirits. Do any of you insure it under your homeowners policy? Is that even possible?

Advanced Taster

Re: Insuring your bourbon stash??

That is a great question! My buddy just asked me thie same question this weekend. I am going to call my insurance company tis week to see if it would be covered under my regular policy or if I need a rider.

Connoisseur

I checked with my agent previously and according to him it is covered under the household items section. There was no specific dollar limitation on alcohol (unlike jewelry and some other items that needed extra riders).

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

The last time I inquired.......I got a "not sure" from my agent. It's a consumable.....so that categorizes it somewhat. Was it stolen, lost in a fire.....or drunk? If it's a hazardous material, what are you doing with it in your house? Bottom line, I couldn't get a separate rider for it from State Farm but it would probably be covered as personal property in the event of a fire or theft. Certain items have specific limits.....so read your policy.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

There are a few companies that seem to specialize in wine collections, I think if you really wanted to insure your whiskey, they would be the people to look for.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There's a case everybody reads in law school about a guy who insured his cache of expensive cigars, then filed a claim for their loss by fire. Not a single fire but a series of small fires, which consumed one cigar at a time.

He didn't prevail.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    There's a case everybody reads in law school about a guy who insured his cache of expensive cigars, then filed a claim for their loss by fire. Not a single fire but a series of small fires, which consumed one cigar at a time.

He didn't prevail.
    Maybe you went to law school and are referring to a different case but I was reminded of what I think is the same story when I read this as well. However, after a search because I had originally read it in a chain email and reading this I think the story is shens; up until now I thought it was true.
    Last edited by gothbat; 04-03-2007 at 07:29.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

I just sent an email to this place. It seems they specialize in things like this.
    If anyone is interested in the response just let me know and I can elaborate here.

http://www.fineartguy.com/SERVICEdes...ollectors.html

Advanced Taster

My wine and liquor collection is insured with Chubb. You do need to keep excellent records (fireproof containers are important), but they insure wine collections, fine art, etc...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    Maybe you went to law school and are referring to a different case but I was reminded of what I think is the same story when I read this as well. However, after a search because I had originally read it in a chain email and reading this I think the story is shens; up until now I thought it was true.
    A lot of hoaxes are based on real events but are then twisted into something else. At the same time, it may have been told to us in law school as a joke. I don't exactly remember. Obviously, the part about the company paying the claim then suing the man for arson is the joke part, but I seem to recall the facts about the fire loss claim being based on a real case. But I'm not going to swear to it. It wouldn't be the first thing from law school that I remember wrong.