Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disciple

Re: My Beam Rye Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by OldJack View Post
    Doc,

Based on your experiment, I picked up some oak chips from the homebrew store and placed some in a bottle of Sailer's Silver Rum and some in the remnants of the Ten High I bought for the BOTM thread.

Using ths tosted chips, the change in color in just 12 hours is unreal. The once-clear rum is now darker than the Old Charter 12 I just picked up last night. The aroma is amazing, but I holding off on tasting.

I plan to let the chips set for a week in the rum and a month in the bourbon and see where I'm at.

Thanks for the idea!

OJ,

don't forget to taste your product often, as it ages....that way your taste buds get the same type of experience that your bourbon is getting. You can also tell the best time to arrest the process. Over aging is an issue to be delt with....there is an off note to too much wood, like the Doc has pointed out.

Adjusting the proof can also help to realize different flavors and attributes when your samples are taken. IIRC, Four Roses cuts all their samples to 40-50 proof when tasting.

Very interesting experiments, good luck!

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

The Ten High got a week and a half w/ the wood chips. The resulting product is much darker, slightly sweeter, and has more vanilla and cherry notes. No one would mistake it for a $40 bottle of well-aged bourbon, but it is an improvement over how it came. That said, you are right about over-doing it. I suspect that a whole month with the wood chips would have killed this stuff. For long term aging, Doc's big chunks of wood in mason jars seems like a much better idea- that's a more favorable surface-to-mass ratio for months of storage.

The rum is like a whole other animal after 6 days. It is now very similar to a Haitian rum we have which claims to have had a year in the barrel. It is now sweet, spicy, and yet retains that pleasant rum bite. It is an awesome mixer for a mean Cuba Libre, though the color is too dark for mojitos.
    Last edited by OldJack; 06-18-2008 at 08:09.

Connoisseur

Dr. F.

I have tried this for the same reasons. I didn't dare use red oak as it contains an irritant known to give carpenters and furniture makers a real case of the itchey&scratchey. To expedite maturing put the spirit in the refridgerator for five days then in a warm area for five days and repeat. If you used enough oak to cause it to expand and contract with the heat cold cycles then you will get greatly expedited maturing. I also add some 190 proof neutral grain spirit to raise the ABV to about 60 - 80 % ABV. This helps dissolve the sugars in the oak and takes on a wonderful whiskey color and taste after a few months. My best batch was after six months. Oh yeah..I use the heart of white oak, toast it in the oven first then char it to 1/4 inch depth. I use 2 quart size jars and an oak plank (harvested and air dried) about 1 inch by 2.5 inch by 3 inch. You will find you can leave the mundane commercial brands far behind. Please let us know how your batch turns out.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

If you leave your rum in contact with the wood for too long will it become whiskey? I read in Imbibe magazine that you could spice your rum with allspice or nutmeg so I tried it. Don't do it. It leaves a substance similar to snot in the rum and it reappeared after I tried to filter it through a water purifier so I gave up and used it to kill mold in the drain.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.