Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

What did George Bush drink?

Does anyone know what his favorite drink was in the 1970's and 1980's? I thought I heard Jim Beam, but that does not make sense. He was a rich guy and could afford better than a bottle of Jim Beam White.

Guru

Re: What did George Bush drink?

Wealth does not buy you good taste.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

An article say Bush describes his drinking as the four B's: beer, bourbon and B&B...money can't buy taste, nor does it make one an expert in every subject. I would not doubt that he was drinking Beam White, it's a huge brand everyone knows, in most company pulling out Beam would be considered perfectly acceptable, it wouldn't make you look cheap (especially 20+ years ago).
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

My favorite gag about George Bush's drinking was the comedian who pointed out that George Bush was busted for drunk driving in the 70s, "and do you remember how drunk you had to be to be arrested for drunk driving in the 70s?"

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    An article say Bush describes his drinking as the four B's: beer, bourbon and B&B...money can't buy taste, nor does it make one an expert in every subject. I would not doubt that he was drinking Beam White, it's a huge brand everyone knows, in most company pulling out Beam would be considered perfectly acceptable, it wouldn't make you look cheap (especially 20+ years ago).
    I guess that makes sense. I figured if someone has millions of dollars in the bank they won't buy the $10 bottle when they can get a $40 bottle that is just as popular.

When I was in college Jack Daniels was the most popular hard drink for those who could afford it. I don't remember anyone drinking Jim Beam.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Remember, there was no such thing as premium bourbon in the 70s nor, for that matter, even premium scotch except for overpriced blends.

The pot was a lot cheaper too.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    My favorite gag about George Bush's drinking was the comedian who pointed out that George Bush was busted for drunk driving in the 70s, "and do you remember how drunk you had to be to be arrested for drunk driving in the 70s?"
    Hahaha. That's a good one!

Guru

Chuck,

You (or he) got that right!

In 1973 a co-worker was arrested for DWI in his own driveway.

By his own admission he was an accomplished drunk driver. This particular evening was like many others up until the last half-block of his trip. After he closed down his favorite bar, he found his car with only a little difficulty. On the trip home his car would have looked very suspicious in L.A. as he drove more slowly than the speed limit and came to a complete stop at all stop signals.

Then he turned the corner onto his block and saw fire trucks ahead. Just before turning into his driveway he ran over a fire hose, which set off a series events that led to the loss of his license.

He considered the whole epsiode nothing but bad luck, saying "Hell, I drove home drunker than that lots of times with no problem."

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WineGuy View Post
    I guess that makes sense. I figured if someone has millions of dollars in the bank they won't buy the $10 bottle when they can get a $40 bottle that is just as popular.

Well one way to keep millions in the bank is to not spend it needlessly.

And how drunk was he in 1976 when he got the DUI...drunk enough to get his license suspended until 1978!
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Remember, there was no such thing as premium bourbon in the 70s nor, for that matter, even premium scotch except for overpriced blends.

The pot was a lot cheaper too.
    Did Jeam Beam taste better in the 1970's than today?