Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Should I buy Jim Beam white?

1.75 big bottle on sale for $18. Should I buy it? Any good for mixing or on the rocks?

Also on sale, 750ml bottle Jack Daniels for $19.

I am building a collection that includes WT101, MM, and BT. I'm thinking about adding JD and JB to the bar. Does anyone like JD or JBW? If only one is to be had, which is better- 750ml JD or 1.75L JBW?

Disciple

Re: Should I buy Jim Beam white?

I'm not really a fan of JBW, but that's a good price for a half gallon. It's ok as a mixer. And you'll have it on hand if guests request it specifically.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Guru

No... you never want to buy something with mixing in mind. If you are going to spend your cash, but what you want to try or love and save the mixing for what does not meet your expectations.

Connoisseur

Only if you've got some rusted lugnuts on an old pickup truck that you're trying to loosen.
    Craig

Disciple

If you would like to try a Beam product.....Old Overholt should be on the top of your list. OO is an 80 proof four year old rye whiskey. It retails somewhere in the $10-12 range for a 750ml.

As far as Brown Foreman's product line goes....I really like the Old Forester 100 proof. It is full flavored with lots of rye spice and retails for $25ish for a 1.75ml.

Good luck

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

It's all individual taste, but I find JBW quite drinkable (not my favorite pour by a long sight, however). On the other hand I have trouble getting by the nose on JD. It reminds me of paint remover. I don't have JD in my bar, if someone wants Tennessee whiskey, I serve George Dickel. I've had Gentleman Jack and it is good, but overpriced IMO. Therefore to me it's a no brainer - 1.75 JBW over .75 JD any day.

Stu

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

By all means, buy it. Just don't spring for the 1.75. Go with a 750. Part of the experimentation experience. Tasting what the lesser bourbons are like, gives you more appreciation for the better ones. Good/Evil, Day/Night, Yin/Yang. Balance.

Cheers,

JOE

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by WineGuy View Post
    1.75 big bottle on sale for $18. Should I buy it? Any good for mixing or on the rocks?

Also on sale, 750ml bottle Jack Daniels for $19.

I am building a collection that includes WT101, MM, and BT. I'm thinking about adding JD and JB to the bar. Does anyone like JD or JBW? If only one is to be had, which is better- 750ml JD or 1.75L JBW?
    As our mixing bourbon we use Evan Williams (originally the 90 proof black label but switched to the 100 proof white label when the BL went NAS). I think it has a much more distinct bourbon taste than JB.

We have some friends who have JD in their bar, their standard mixing whiskey (they even use it in "Irish Coffee") (I had no idea Daniels was an Irish name). They seem perfectly happy with the EW when they visit us.

Locally a 750 of EW BL is $11.50 and the WL is $12.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    We have some friends who have JD in their bar, their standard mixing whiskey (they even use it in "Irish Coffee") (I had no idea Daniels was an Irish name). They seem perfectly happy with the EW when they visit us.

Scott,

I make what I call "Kentucky coffee". Maybe they should call their's "Tennessee coffee".

Stu

Taster

As stated, it's a matter of taste. I like a pour of JBW from time to time. It's not Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace, but not bad in a pinch.
    "You can't bluff an idiot." T. J. Cloutier