Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Dusty Corn Whiskey

I thought I would post this because I had been curious about corn whiskeys. This is the first one I have tried (although I had some moonshine several years back).

I found an odd one while dusty hunting in DC the other day:
    Stillbrook Straight Corn Whiskey BIB
    Distilled by American Distilling Co.
    D.S.P. ILL. No. 2, Pekin, Illinois
    Bottled by American Distilling Co.
    D.S.P VA. No. 6, Petersburg, Virginia
    It looks like it was bottled in 1977.
    Color: Pale Honey Yellow
    Nose: Sweet corn, honey, vanilla, some floral (honeysuckle?)
    Palate: Bananas, cream, marshmallow, honey
    I was pleasantly surprised. Very drinkable, and I'm looking forward to mixing it with a spicy Blenheim's Ginger Ale.

American made a straight bourbon in the 1970s along with the corn whiskey. A quick Google search shows there's a 3yo "Stillbrook Old Style Whiskey," which is owned by McCormick Distilling Co.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

Re: Dusty Corn Whiskey

Reminds me of a corn whiskey I picked up a couple years ago. I think it was bottled late 60's / early 70's. Still have some left and was pouring some of it at last years festival.

J. W. Corn Straight Corn Whiskey
    100 Proof, 8 Years Old
    Distilled in Indiana
    Bottled by James Walsh & Co.
    Lawrenceberg, Kentucky

The nose is sweet with caramel, pear, mint, and a hint of cranberry. There is a slight alcohol burn in the nose and palate. The taste is sweet and creamy. It is light and elegant, very pleasant. The finish is light and sweet, with medium length.

This is completely different than the 'modern' corn whiskey I've tasted, Mellow Corn, which is a 4yo BIB. Mellow Corn gives a heavy nose and flavor of corn and corn oil. I like it a lot. This vintage JW Corn does not have the heavy corn presence, but is light and elegant, like a white wine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Connoisseur

I wouldn't say the Stillbrook is heavy at all, but not elegant either. Not having had any other corn whiskey, I can't compare, but from reading your description it suspect it falls somewhere in between.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Connoisseur

Well, I mixed it with the Blenheims. Interesting. A lot of vanilla comes through, and quite creamy with nougat. In fact, if it weren't for that Blenheim spice (if you've had it, you know what I mean) it was like it had been mixed with a cream soda rather than a ginger ale.

Mark

-Nietzsche