Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    The World Whiskey Awards named it "World's Best Bourbon".
    SF's World Spirits Competition 2008 awarded it "Double Gold" a few years running now.

    I was wondering why Bakers doesn't seem to get any accolades on this site. I am always tempted to buy it but then someone always seems to scare me off doing so. Anyone love this bourbon as much as the critics? Can anyone set me straight once and for all so I don't even think of reaching for it? For $36 it looks very tempting!

    Either way I just want to know what it's all about.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  2. #2
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    We like Baker's fine here, Basil Hayden doesn't fair well mostly a price vs proof issue and nothing to do with quality there.
    I believe a search of the bottle of the month for 2007 will yield some information.

    Bakers Bottle of the Month 03-06
    Last edited by bobbyc; 04-06-2008 at 09:15.
    ___Bobby Cox___
    ____________

    May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

  3. #3
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    172

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    Bakers, is one of my favorites! I too notice that it doesn't get a lot of attention around here. It doesn't get negative attention, just not much mention. But usually when spoken about it gets love.....

    Definitely try it...

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA.
    Posts
    887

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Anyone love this bourbon as much as the critics? Can anyone set me straight once and for all so I don't even think of reaching for it? For $36 it looks very tempting! Either way I just want to know what it's all about.
    By all means reach for it! I think with a few exceptions you should try them all, every-one's tastes are different.

    It's $40 here in WA and I aways keep a bottle on the shelf. The nose has a wonderful brown-sugar cinnamon spice, the taste is creamy with a nice kick of peppery heat and I find the finish flavorful and dry. I think this is a great bottle.

    Buy one and share your thoughts! I don't think you will be disappointed.

    Todd

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    By all means reach for it! I think with a few exceptions you should try them all, every-one's tastes are different.

    It's $40 here in WA and I aways keep a bottle on the shelf. The nose has a wonderful brown-sugar cinnamon spice, the taste is creamy with a nice kick of peppery heat and I find the finish flavorful and dry. I think this is a great bottle.

    Buy one and share your thoughts! I don't think you will be disappointed.

    That was all the push I needed. I will be buying a bottle today!!!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  6. #6
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    Baker's is readily available, has been on the market for a long time and is a solid bourbon. It's not that it doesn't get any love, it's more that everyone's "been there, done that, got the t-shirt". I still drink it as regularly as many other bourbons and more regularly than a whole lot of them.

    Baker's is good, damn good, but it's not the new shiny that's gonna get all of the attention.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  7. #7
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    I tried Baker's, along with all the JB small batch offerings, back in the early 1990s when they were introduced. Off the bunch, Knob Creek was my favorite, but Bakers was second. Since then I've bought a lot of Knob Creek, but a few bottles of Bakers as well.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,726

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    I keep a bottle of this. It is my favorite of teh Beam high end (Knoww, Basil, Baker's and Bookers).

    In truth, it will probably be the only one of the four I keep after I finish what I have.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Pelham, AL
    Posts
    3,894

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    I never cared much for Baker's. It is too dry for my tastes. I do realize that it is a quality crafted whiskey, but it just doesn't suit me.

    In that series, I prefer Booker's and Knob Creek. My favorite Beam-produced bourbon, at least of the ones I have tried, is Old Grand Dad 114-proof.

    Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

  10. #10
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I never cared much for Baker's. It is too dry for my tastes. I do realize that it is a quality crafted whiskey, but it just doesn't suit me.

    In that series, I prefer Booker's and Knob Creek. My favorite Beam-produced bourbon, at least of the ones I have tried, is Old Grand Dad 114-proof.

    Tim
    Thanks Tim... I'm also interested in the OGD114. I see it for about $35 but never tried it. Is that a reasonable price?
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. World Whisky Awards
    By cowdery in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 12:13
  2. Buffalo Trace Distillery Garners More Awards
    By jbutler in forum Industry News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 09:38
  3. ETL wins a convert
    By T47 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 06:35
  4. Sharing Your Love of Bourbon With the One You Love
    By bluesbassdad in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 17:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top