Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

ODG 114 for 35 you must be kidding? I recently saw it for 16 and change. It is however very good.

And So is Baker's. It used to be my Favorite back before I found this sight. I really do need to pick up another bottle to compare against my current favorites.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Baker's is good, buy it.

Unfortunately, but realistically, new makes news, so people here and elsewhere tend to talk about new things or obscure, hard-to-find things but not perfectly good, even great, whiskeys that are in every liquor store and on every back bar in the country. If I have any complaint about Baker's, or any reason why I don't buy it more often, it would be the price. I have this one friend who, for many years now, whenever we get together for a drink we always drink Baker's.

Guru

Yet we complain when WT and otherbrands drop the proof of our go to pours. Here is a 107 proof pour that is available. I am as guilty as anyone for I rarely chose it when out and have an unopened bottle in my bunker.

We bourbon folk are a strange lot.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

I've had two bad bottles of Bakers and I'm reluctant to invest in more (not "bad" as in defective but bad in that I really didn't like the taste). I do enjoy Knob Creek, though, as well as Beam Black. That's where my Beam-directed dollars will go.

Connoisseur

Bakers used to be one of my favorite pours before I started buying the more obscure and specialty bottlings. I would alternate between Bookers and Bakers.

I always thought it was surprisingly mild for 107pf, very rounded mouthfeel. It's charms are more subtle than Bookers, not surprisingly, but even KC at 100pf is a lot more forward to me. In addition, I don't care for KC because I always thought it was too harsh on the finish. Anyway, I haven't purchased Bakers for a couple years, but I will do so again.

As for OGD 114, if you don't have it, it's a must-buy, although $35 is rather steep. Still, if that was the only price I could get it at, I would do so.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Connoisseur

Amazing that i've tried so many bourbons yet not this one. I've been meaning to buy it. Having tried the Knob Creek, Basil Hadens and Bookers, maybe I feel there are other things i'd rather spend $40 on. I really should try it though because i liked the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    Yet we complain when WT and otherbrands drop the proof of our go to pours. Here is a 107 proof pour that is available. I am as guilty as anyone for I rarely chose it when out and have an unopened bottle in my bunker.

We bourbon folk are a strange lot.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The World Whiskey Awards named it "World's Best Bourbon".
    SF's World Spirits Competition 2008 awarded it "Double Gold" a few years running now.

I was wondering why Bakers doesn't seem to get any accolades on this site. I am always tempted to buy it but then someone always seems to scare me off doing so. Anyone love this bourbon as much as the critics? Can anyone set me straight once and for all so I don't even think of reaching for it? For $36 it looks very tempting!

Either way I just want to know what it's all about.

Hello James,

I have thought the same way. Before finding this board I drank much of Bakers and liked it very much so. But since I have read this site I haven't even thought of Bakers till now. This is one bourbon that is very good and not spoken of on this site.

Kindest,

Geb

Guru

Post Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Thanks Tim... I'm also interested in the OGD114. I see it for about $35 but never tried it. Is that a reasonable price?
    I didn't pay nearly that much for mine, but it was a few years ago. I bought a bottle in Kentucky in 2005 for around $23 and one in Atlanta a few years before that for $22. It is not sold in my state.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Bakers - Wins Awards But Gets No Love Here?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post

As for OGD 114, if you don't have it, it's a must-buy, although $35 is rather steep. Still, if that was the only price I could get it at, I would do so.
    True. Even though that price sounds high, OGD 114 is better than most $35 bourbons I can think of.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Administrator in exile

Baker's is my favorite Jim Beam bourbon. It's slightly on the sweet side with just enough wood to balance nicely. It's like maple candy in a bottle!
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi