Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

Okay, there's nothing really new or improved about it, but the old thread was getting unwieldy, so let's start again.

We all know how hard it is to finish a bottle of whiskey, especially one that cannot be easily replaced. It's hard, but it's part of life.

This thread is here for you to seek support and provide support to others. We feel your pain. This thread is for saying goodbye to special friends as they become empty vessels, a fate that awaits us all.

I'll begin with the unkindest cut of all, the last bourbon bargain.

I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found. The replacement--or at least the oldest Old Heaven Hill BIB they had with an age statement on it--was a six-year-old.

I bought the 10-year-old at Liquor Barn last September for $8.49. My guess is we won't see a 10-year-old BIB for under $10 again in our lifetimes, so brothers and sisters, can I have a little love?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

Aw, pobrecito, I feel your pain. I too wince when I empty some of those not so long ago "bargains" that can't be replaced. Last night it was an ORVW 10/107 L'burg that cost me $23. It's been replaced on the shelf with different whiskey at a much higher price.

Randy

With the coming, temporary (we hope) shortage of all things Weller, I went out and grabbed the last three Antique 107s locally a couple of weeks ago. I plowed through the first one in about 10 days (a near-record here!) -- much of it enjoyed through a coating of diet cola (hey, I like it that way -- not exclusively -- okay?! And it was MINE.). I'm not likely to treat the other two so cavalierly.
    Also, finished a 'manufactured' rarity -- a 750ml of yellow-label OC 12, thus post-label-change, pre-discontinuance -- over the weekend.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

During Sunday's Chat, Willett 22yo...I surprised I managed to stretch this bottle out so long...A damn fine bottling, one that is sure to be missed.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found.
    That is truly sad. That bottle is one that I always bought when visiting Cincinnati. The label alone was worth the price!

I just finished my last of a pre-fire bottle a couple of weeks ago, and have it on my standing shopping list for Cincinnati friends who shuttle back and forth between there and here. Guess I may have to ask for a substitute.

OTOH, I found that the six-year-old was also very nice - feistier, but full of character.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I actually made a point to put aside a few bottles of VROHH, knowing that the fire/transition to Bernhiem was upon us for that one. Hopefully it was just a temperary thing and not a permanent situation...though they had climbed to a jaw-dropping $13
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

I just emptied the last of my SB.com PVW23 (barrel 2) into a snifter, which I raise to those who made this happen. Thanks again, I'll definitely miss this one!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

WTKS came to and end last night... now I have room for two more... that bottle is way to wide..!!!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I had two partial bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel. The first--one of the Party Source specials--fell a few weeks ago. The other--a standard issue--just bit the dust too. I'm still holding tight to that last drink of the 10-year-old Heaven Hill but that's next.

I sure do like that Four Roses.

Guru

Drained the last of the 2007 OFBB and a EWSB 1995.

I feel so empty...
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."