Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

The end of the better of two Pure Kentuky 107.... good, not great, but definitly good bourbon...

Enthusiast

I went mellow today and a very nice bottle of FR Small Batch poured it's last glass. Cheers to Mr Rutledge and crew. Time for a road trip to Chicago. I can't wait for FR to come to Wisconsin later on this year.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Advanced Taster

With a heavy heart, I commit Pappy Van Winkle 15 to the recycling bin tonight. He will be remembered & replaced.
    Traver

"If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine."--13th Floor Elevators

Guru

After I 'freshen' my drink one more time, this bottle of BT will be officially a dead soldier.

I have several bottles that need to be finished before I open any more. Tomorrow I may finish a Weller Antique.

Guru

RHF from the Binny's bight the dust...

Connoisseur

My much loved GTS 2006, purchased last April, opened last August, now gone.

Fortunately I have two more bottles. Whew.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Connoisseur

Finished another one tonight: Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004. It's a bitter-sweet moment.

In the past I panned this bourbon for being way too peppery. I opened it a year ago, and for the first few months it was undrinkable - really unpleasant. White pepper dominated the flavor to the exclusion of almost everything else. Here I am almost exactly one year later and it has become an outstanding pour.

I take it back, all the hard feelings, the disappointment, the anger. I take it all back.

Tonight, it rewarded me with a rich, complex experience. Leather, toffee and some woodiness on the nose. More toffee than caramel on the palate, with molasses, leather and tobacco, plus a suggestion of bitter orange. Some spice, but the pepper is almost entirely gone. Very nice finish - not an enormous finish like Handy, but it lasts a long time.

It reminds me of a sweeter, less overpowering GTS, but still strong enough in its own right.

I'll miss you, OFBB '04. Despite our initial rough start, you proved to be a good friend.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    Finished another one tonight: Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004. It's a bitter-sweet moment.

In the past I panned this bourbon for being way too peppery. I opened it a year ago, and for the first few months it was undrinkable - really unpleasant. White pepper dominated the flavor to the exclusion of almost everything else. Here I am almost exactly one year later and it has become an outstanding pour.

I take it back, all the hard feelings, the disappointment, the anger. I take it all back.

Tonight, it rewarded me with a rich, complex experience. Leather, toffee and some woodiness on the nose. More toffee than caramel on the palate, with molasses, leather and tobacco, plus a suggestion of bitter orange. Some spice, but the pepper is almost entirely gone. Very nice finish - not an enormous finish like Handy, but it lasts a long time.

It reminds me of a sweeter, less overpowering GTS, but still strong enough in its own right.

I'll miss you, OFBB '04. Despite our initial rough start, you proved to be a good friend.
    Mark - his twin brother is sitting on my shelf at home....come get it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

See ya later alligator......Bernhiem Wheat Whiskey. It got ignored and shoved to the back of the pantry because there were other's that needed by attention.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Finished off my bottle of Old Overholt this weekend. If I find a dusty one or a BIB version I'll buy it but I doubt I'll ever buy another one of the current bottling, it tasted like something you would use to clean.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas