Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Okay, there's nothing really new or improved about it, but the old thread was getting unwieldy, so let's start again.

We all know how hard it is to finish a bottle of whiskey, especially one that cannot be easily replaced. It's hard, but it's part of life.

This thread is here for you to seek support and provide support to others. We feel your pain. This thread is for saying goodbye to special friends as they become empty vessels, a fate that awaits us all.

I'll begin with the unkindest cut of all, the last bourbon bargain.

I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found. The replacement--or at least the oldest Old Heaven Hill BIB they had with an age statement on it--was a six-year-old.

I bought the 10-year-old at Liquor Barn last September for $8.49. My guess is we won't see a 10-year-old BIB for under $10 again in our lifetimes, so brothers and sisters, can I have a little love?
    Sory it's been awhile since I visited. However I am glad to see I am not the only one to lament the demise of VROHH. Truly a great whiskey at any price. My thoughts are that they discovered that folks fond out the secret, and ended up putting it all in EWSB, which, for all practical purposes, it was....at half the price.
    Last I bought ws around July of '07, and I bought a case( I think it ws around $11 at LB). I tried my darndest to make it last, but the pressure was too much. God Bless all you who could bunker it and still have some!

Connoisseur

This past week, I said goodbye to bottles of VOB bib and ORVW 10/107... fortunately I still have a full VOB (not too hard to come by around here) and 3 more ORVW 10/107 (they tend to disappear from the shelves, so I've been stocking up)

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Connoisseur

Just poured the last of my PVW 23, sb edition barrel C. It will never be able to be replaced. The only good news is that I still have about an inch or two left in bottles A and B.

Connoisseur

the week's odometer of empties reads thusly:

gone...

Van Winkle Reserve 12
    Jack Daniels Gold Medal 1981
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    HUP!

Disciple

Finally polished off the Old Whiskey River...I feel triumphant...

....and sick to my stomach...glad to see that garbage gone.

"A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Damage done to my stash. 2 bottles of Rittenhouse BIB, 1 WT Rare breed, 1 2007 GTS that one makes me weep, and one BMH 17yr. The guy that picks up my recyclables must think I am a total drunk with all of the Whiskey and beer bottles in the bin. Good thing I don't really "sive a ghit" what he thinks!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Connoisseur

I finished off the last pour of a bottle of the newer (black) label of Weller 12 last night...Started out not caring for it much, but I ended up liking it a lot. I still have most of a bottle of the older (gray) label of Weller 12 left.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

I saw the last of two really good bottles this week. Tonight, a Julio's RHF. Sunday an ER 101. It was hard to finish the ER 101. Thank goodness I have two more in the bunker, and more on the way! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

OC Classic 90.... sigh.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

bye bye baby saz...it was sweet....and better on the last two pours...i wish i took VATTING notes on that WTRB mix....that was simply tops
    HUP!