Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    196

    What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    I have been thinking about this and was wondering if there is a recommended temp. for Bourbon when drinking it neat. Wines have recommended temps. I was figuring that Bourbon might be best at the same temp as red wines which is around the mid 50's F if I remember correctly.

    Any thoughts?
    As he removed the cork from the bottle of bourbon, he threw it across the room and said, "we ain't gonna need that no more".

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    580

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    My defination of neat has always been, take it off the shelf, pour it in a glass, drink, repeat as required. So I guess room temp for me.

    On the other hand, straight is the same except you shake with ice and strain.
    Dale

    "All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dayton, TN
    Posts
    320

    Thumbs up Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoTexan View Post
    My defination of neat has always been, take it off the shelf, pour it in a glass, drink, repeat as required. So I guess room temp for me.

    On the other hand, straight is the same except you shake with ice and strain.
    Work for me as well

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    264

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    Room temp. I like a lot of things not too cold.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    403

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    i prefer mine at room temperature. however, a few summers ago when I visited Buffalo Trace, we were served chilled BT bourbon. Our guide explained that as the temperature gets colder, any imperfections start to show. The point was that the BT had no imperfections to speak of.

    Since then, i have had a few pours chilled and enjoy them as a change of pace.
    ____
    Chris

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    345

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    I tend to take a cue from my wine snob days..."room temperature" really means cellar temperature. Aside from a few really, really big wines, almost all red wines are best enjoyed somewhere in the high 50 to mid 60 degree spectrum, not at 72+ degrees. Wines above 68 degrees or so tend to get hot and unbalanced. I tend to find the same problem with bourbons, so I keep my bourbons at the bottom of my wine fridge, around 60 degrees.

    I like to drink "brisk autumn," not "hot summer."
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut


  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,821

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    In my opinion, bourbons should be placed in brandy snifters and warmed somewhat like the French do with their Cognac. If you can't set it by a heat source just roll the snifter sround in your hands to pick up heat. This releases all the flavors to be smelled and tasted the "proper" way. Try it.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    438

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    I agree with Joe. Any whiskey that is warmed above "cellar temp." allows the nose and the palate to flourish. I've only tried bourbon on ice once. It was a really hot day in northern California. While it was satisfying, the nose practically disappeared and the taste was significantly muted.

    I didn't know, however, that straight is different than neat. Thanks for that info!
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hershey, PA
    Posts
    364

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    I agree with Joe. Any whiskey that is warmed above "cellar temp." allows the nose and the palate to flourish. I've only tried bourbon on ice once. It was a really hot day in northern California. While it was satisfying, the nose practically disappeared and the taste was significantly muted.

    I didn't know, however, that straight is different than neat. Thanks for that info!

    Actually, this is part of the reason why my drinking habits change with the seasons. I don't drink bourbon on a hot day, because I will want something cool. So I usually drink gin in the peak of summer, because gin works well with just a couple of clean ice cubes.

    I drink lighter whiskies, like Scotch and Irish, in the spring and fall. More robust spirits, like bourbons, dark rums, and brandies, I usually reserve for the winter, especially since I usually don't turn on the heat much. Thus, my spirits are slightly cool, usually in the 60's, and my natural gas bill stays low. My heritage is northern German, so cool temperatures don't really bother me!

    I will advise against warming your bourbon too much-- if the spirit gets too warm, it will release greater quantities of alcohol vapors, making it far too challenging to nose. At least, that's my experience...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

    - Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

  10. #10
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berlin, DE
    Posts
    58

    Re: What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"

    Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    Actually, this is part of the reason why my drinking habits change with the seasons. I don't drink bourbon on a hot day, because I will want something cool. So I usually drink gin in the peak of summer, because gin works well with just a couple of clean ice cubes.

    I drink lighter whiskies, like Scotch and Irish, in the spring and fall. More robust spirits, like bourbons, dark rums, and brandies, I usually reserve for the winter, especially since I usually don't turn on the heat much. Thus, my spirits are slightly cool, usually in the 60's, and my natural gas bill stays low. My heritage is northern German, so cool temperatures don't really bother me!

    I will advise against warming your bourbon too much-- if the spirit gets too warm, it will release greater quantities of alcohol vapors, making it far too challenging to nose. At least, that's my experience...

    Hello Boss,

    If you do not mind my inquisition, where in Northern Germany are you from? Did you grow up in DE or would that be where family roots are?

    Kindest,

    Geb
    Last edited by Huegeb; 04-24-2008 at 08:03.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 117
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 20:02
  2. trying to learn more than "casual bourbon drinker"
    By Ruby K in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 20:58
  3. Will bourbon "go bad" in my car in the heat?
    By MikeDS in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 18:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top