Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Maker's Mark, revisited...

Maker's Mark was one of the first premium bourbons I tried. Since I jumped into trying new bourbons and reading this board about six months ago I haven't had any MM -- there are just too many unique and interesting bourbons to try.

Yesterday my mother- and father-in-law showed up at my house with a 1.75 L bottle of MM. A kind thing to do -- very generous -- but would I like the stuff now?

I took some neat and was disappointed with how one dimensional and lacking in character it was relative to what I used to think of as a premium spirit. Those of you that have recommended any of the Weller line over MM certainly do know what you're talking about.

I've been skeptical of the MM "haters" that show up now and again but now I really get it. In my mind MM really is nothing special and my bottle will likely used to make some relatively tasty high balls.

Advanced Taster

Re: Maker's Mark, revisited...

This thread may be related to the "breakthrough bourbon" thread as I, like you, have gone through the same "maturing" process while reading, and contributing in a diminutive way, to SB.com.

Though not intending to take away from the brand, but perhaps MM, through superb marketing, developed, with the significance of a Wall Street Journal article, into a great start-to whisky for a fledgling bourbonite, or for one who failed to develop an appreciation for bourbon. To be sure, MM has a to-die-for nose, but follows with a taste and finish that does not seriously compare to some of the [more] premium brands that, by intent and design, age in casks longer and have a different mash bill (admittedly, I prefer the higher rye content mash bills, and have tasted but only two other wheaters).

I, like you, can recall the last time I had MM neat, and it was, as you experienced, an unmemorable experience. Thoughts of that banana taste, like Jack Daniels, indelibly remain in my mind. Given the cost, I have some apprehension to mixing it, as I do some of the [more] expensive brands, but I very well may have to relegate this bottling to the same fate.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Novice

Maker's Mark was my first premium bourbon as well. Although I don't drink it much at home anymore, I still have a couple pours a month when I'm at a bar or a restaurant. On the rocks, I still find it pretty tasty, and it's available pretty much everywhere. I consider it my "going out" bourbon.

I have to admit, it was a great feeling peeling off that red wax and being hit by that wonderful sweet smell for the first time. It felt like I was drinking "something special." Although I wouldn't get that same feeling from opening a bottle of MM today, that experience is certainly the reason why I continue to drink bourbon!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
    Maker's Mark was my first premium bourbon as well. Although I wouldn't get that same feeling from opening a bottle of MM today, that experience is certainly the reason why I continue to drink bourbon!
    I agree...Maker's was the only bourbon I drank for about 15 years...but after finding SB.com and discovering that there's a whole world of great, different, and more complex tasting bourbons out there, while I could have Maker's on a night out... I won't buy a bottle again.
    -Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

It's a bit odd and ironic that I should find myself defending Maker's Mark here -- but, other than price, there's nothing wrong with it!
    Is it my favorite? Far from it. But I find, as noted below, that the nose is wonderful, and the palate entry very nice. Its youthful age leaves it without a substantial finish, much to its detriment. And I wish they saw themselves as an alter-ego to other than (also under-aged) Jack Daniel's, to which its price is pegged.
    But, there is nothing offensive about Maker's Mark. In fact, what's there is very nice. One just wishes there was more 'there' there.
    Tim

I agree whole heartedly with Tim. Yeah, there is better stuff out there that will cost you less, but I still don't see where the hatred comes from.
    It's still bourbon, and a decent one at that. I always have some on hand and I quite enjoy it.
    I'm also a sucker for the wax....

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

For me it's not a matter of hatred for MM. I have enjoyed Maker's for many years and it certainly is appreciated as my introduction to bourbon.
    But there are so many other experiences that many of you have had, that I, as a novice have not had...so with a limited budget for bourbon...I have to focus on those new experiences. So while I wouldn't hesitate to order
    MM at a bar or restaurant...I still like it...there are too many bourbons and so little time.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Virtuoso

I haven't seen this hatred for Maker's Mark that others have referenced.

What I have seen is disdain for the marketing. I've seen disdain for bottle collectors here on a forum of whiskey collectors.

Nobody writes anything bad about the whiskey itself. It's pretty much the people who sell it (which includes both the "best we can possibly make" and the price point). OK, and sometimes the people who go along with the marketing. But not the liquor itself.

Connoisseur

I've lived in Louisville for 27 years. I met my wonderful wife, Penny (a Louisville native) here and we've been married for almost 22 years.
    If God grants it...this is where we will live out our days.

We go back to the place I grew up in PA every year, in fact my niece lives in the house where I grew up. Although I enjoy the visits and will always have a fondness in my heart for PA... I will never again love it the way I love Louisville.

And so it is with Maker's Mark.

-Joe

Advanced Taster

When I referenced MM "haters" I used the quotes to try and convey a slang term, meaning that people "hate on it" or don't have much nice to say about it. I don't hate the stuff by any means. Serves me right by trying to be hip!