Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michters Small Batch

What can you tell me about this Bourbon. Is it worth the price? Is it a Rye Recipe? BevMo add says:

Big, confident, high class with a glorious piece of heritage. Perfectly balanced with a terrific vanilla nose and a hint of sweetness. Aged 4-6 years in small batch barrels. A magnificent whiskey!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Michters Small Batch

Do a search here and you may find specific comments. The producer is not a distiller, meaning it's bulk whiskey purchased from one of the usual suspects. My personal prejudice is to stick to products where I know who made them.

Please pardon my ignorance. But what exactly does this mean and why is bad?
    "The producer is not a distiller, meaning it's bulk whiskey purchased from one of the usual suspects."

Does it mean that they purchase Bourbons from several distilleries and blend? If not, then how?

It means they buy whiskey from one or more distillers. Generally they don't mix whiskey from different distilleries, but they could. These days you're lucky if you can get one company to sell it to you, supplies are so tight, let alone more than one. Anyway, they buy it and bottle it.

Guru

It also means you can buy the exact same whiskey from the producer under their label and pay a lot less.

Connoisseur

I wonder why the bourbon industry doesn't follow the Scottish model. They have independent bottlers that buy single malt whisky from distillers and then age, bottle and sell it themselves, companies like Gordon & MacPhail, Cadenheads, and Duncan Taylor. But they tell you where they get their whisky. More, given the differing warehousing, proofs and even barreling, it's a great service. Too bad the U.S. doesn't follow these practices.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

The Scottish model exists because 90% of scotch sold is blends and it takes whiskey from many distilleries to make a good blend. Since American whiskey is generally sold straight, there isn't that built-in reason for whiskey to change hands in bulk form.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Do a search here and you may find specific comments. The producer is not a distiller, meaning it's bulk whiskey purchased from one of the usual suspects. My personal prejudice is to stick to products where I know who made them.
    I think it is one of the Bardstown distilleries, if I'm not mistaken.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

It isn't even bourbon either. I'm not saying that's bad, but a tad pricey for whiskey.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Same for the US 1 Rye - it's quite good, especially for a young (3yo) Rye - but overpriced.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche