Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

\"Made & Bottled in Kentucky\"

Chuck,

The main thing is that I love the tape. I hope no one takes my comments as anything but an expression of my interest in detail, an interest that would be absent were the tape not chock-full of good material.

One thing I've been meaning to ask, have you documented, perhaps in this forum, major changes that have occured since 1992? For example, are all of the interviewees still living? Has the overseas market continued to grow? The home market?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: \"Made & Bottled in Kentucky\"

Things have not changed too terribly much, considering the long span of time. At the time that was shot, United had just recently acquired Glenmore. United is now Diageo and they have sold everything except I.W. Harper and George Dickel. Several of the Heaven Hill rackhouses you can see in some of the shots were destroyed in the fire and HH now operates the distillery United built in Louisville at Bernheim, which was brand new in the video. Ancient Age is now Buffalo Trace, but it's still part of Sazerac, as it was then. Labrot & Graham, in ruins in the video, is now beautifully restored. (I like to think my video gave them the idea.)

I believe everyone I interviewed is still living. Export sales continue to grow. Domestic sales continue to be flat, expect in the super-premium segment, which is growing. The biggest change is that the industry was just then entering its first period of true stability in the 20th century, which has continued into the 21st.

Guru

Re: Glencairn \'Malt Blender\'s Glass\'

My glasses arrived today, and I couldn't resist using one for my afternoon drink; never mind all my big talk in the earlier reply about testing against other glasses. (Well, maybe later.)

As you said they are indeed a bit small. Your description was quite accurate; I simply failed to grasp just how small they are until I saw them. At first I was a bit put off by that, but I got over it quickly.

I poured just enough EC12 to reach the widest part of the glass, figuring that the greatest possible surface area would yield the most aroma. It's been a while since I tasted EC12, but I don't remember it tasting as good as it did this afternoon from my new glass.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I think that the tall, narrow top portion of the glass collects vapors, which than cascade over one's nostrils as one tips the glass up to take a sip. The effect seems to be that the nose characterstics are physically forced to carry over into the tasting phase. That's quite in contrast to my usual old-fashioned glasses, which allow the aroma to disperse more readily.

I can hardly wait to do at least part of the comparison that I wrote about earlier.

Thanks for the tip regarding these glasses, which will certainly add to my enjoyment of bourbon.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

**DONOTDELETE**

Kudos to you Dave! Anything to get rid of your haunted glass and stopped up sinuses is a good thing. Think pure thoughts and you'll even loose weight when you use your new glass.

Advanced Taster

Linn:

As you know from other posts, I too have a new Glencairn glass. Some thoughts - the crystal is strikingly clear and uniform, allowing a good assessment of color and "legs". Like Dave, I found that whiskey just seems to taste better from it than from my small snifters, probably because of the aroma concentration. The recurved sides mean that you don't get your whiskey taste when you think it's coming - you have to wait for your drink as the whiskey travels over the "hump" in the tilted glass. That gives it a chance to give you another wave of smell. As to the size, I measured 3 oz. (an average pour for me), which came to the top of the bulbous section of the glass, and definitely not into the "chimney". Although the glass could be scaled up slightly, it's got a nice compact heft as it is. I like the general "pot still" shape and use it regularly - with my luck I'll probably drop it on the kitchen floor within a week!

Ralph

Enthusiast

I picked up one of the Malt Advocate Glencairns during WhiskyFest. I thought it seemed a little different than the ones I had ordered from Whisky Magazine. It turned out the Malt Advocate glasses were noticeable thicker at least in the rim area.

Both of these had etchings from their respective magazines. Has anyone tried both the plain Glencairn's as well as either or both magazine's? I would be curious to know if the plain ones are more like Malt Advocate's or Whisky Magazine's.

Guru

I ordered my pair from Malt Advocate back around July, and they have no markings on them.

BTW, I discovered today that I enjoy ORVW 10/107 more when I drink it from one of my JD rocks glasses, rather than a Glencairn nosing glass. The JD glass yields a more pleasant (and more diffuse) nose, and its thinner, smoother rim also adds somehow to my enjoyment. I have not made a similar comparison of glassware using other bourbons.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

**DONOTDELETE**

John mine are unmarked. The rim is not as thin as my whisky blenders glass from Pubgear. This glass in entirely too fragile, both at the rim and the stem. I tend to like the thicker glass of the Glencairn better.The Glencairn neatly splits the difference between a pure nosing glass and a snifter.

Enthusiast

I compared the pair of glasses that I ordered from Malt Advocate with the one I received at WhiskyFest. They appear to be exactly the same, except for the etching.

Bob